Poll

Should Chainsaw disarm opponents?

Yes
11 (32.4%)
No
23 (67.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Chainsaw Suggestion  (Read 5082 times)

Offline J-Factor

• Major(1)
Chainsaw Suggestion
« on: June 15, 2006, 10:26:26 pm »
Hi, I thought of this suggestion while I was browsing this topic.

It's a simple idea to improve the Chainsaw somewhat - Make it knock the weapon out of an enemy's hands (in the same way as the Fists). This would make it a tad easier to finish off an opponent that only barely survived your initial "run-by" with the saw, only to push you back as you go in for a second run.

Comments? Criticism?

Thanks.

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
Re: Chainsaw Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 11:25:34 pm »
i dont think it should, since the saw kills people the first run through unless you miss. It doesnt need to disarm, just hit the guy and your good to go
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 11:58:57 pm »
Yeah, what's with this and that disarming knife idea posted yesterday? You're using a one-hit kill weapon. The chainsaw disarms the enemy by killing him. Isn't that enough?  ???

Offline Sotija

• Veteran
  • Sotija
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 12:21:20 am »
I think just no.and i agree with domino.

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
  • I know Karate!....and several other Japanese words
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 12:26:49 am »
I think he means if you dont quite get close enough to kill you should at least disarm them.  But I still agree that It's kind of pointless.

Offline Fraggy

• Soldier
  • Mecha 0_o
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 05:18:25 am »
it's useless... it very rarely occurs that someone survives a full saw hit, unless he/she has a vest..

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 08:50:02 am »
Pointless, if you asked me.

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 12:04:23 pm »
Yes, because not all Chainsaw sweeps kill in one dash besides an enemy for some reason, so this would be nice to have, now or if the Chainsaw's Damage is lowered in the future.

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 12:14:24 pm »
saws
drops LAW
prepares to finish off mister green
picks up LAW, curses soldat 1.3.1 for reload upon weapon pickup, attempts to stay alive for the 9 seconds of reload
saws
dead.

I don't know if I like this or not. I guess so.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline vulbastick

• Soldier
  • Lasers From Atlantis
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 06:15:20 pm »
Make it knock the weapon out of an enemy's hands (in the same way as the Fists).

If you saw their arms off :P

Offline Mr. Jenkins

• Soldier
  • AKA "Oneburt"
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 08:46:46 pm »
Yeah this is the stupidest idea I've ever responded to! Killing is the same as disarming cause their weapon drops when they die.

And if your afraid of the damage not registering, who's to say that the disarming will register? I think
J-Factor regrets posting this now on account of feeling stupid.

Offline J-Factor

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 11:42:33 pm »
I think
J-Factor regrets posting this now on account of feeling stupid.

I hardly feel stupid for making a friendly suggestion. :) Lighten up a bit - at least I'm not suggesting vehicles.

And if your afraid of the damage not registering, who's to say that the disarming will register?

Some hits register while some do not. If you enemy was disarmed on the few hits that do register, it would allow the saw'er to go in for another sweep more easily. This is the point I'm trying to make. This often happens to me on certain servers.

saws
drops LAW
prepares to finish off mister green
picks up LAW, curses soldat 1.3.1 for reload upon weapon pickup, attempts to stay alive for the 9 seconds of reload
saws
dead.

This is a perfect example of why this should be implemented. If someone is able to make a complete saw sweep through you, you should be dead. Be it lag that prevents all of the damage registering, the saw'er is forced to attack again. They should at least be protected from being slowed down/killed by an enemy's fire who should have been dead in the first place.

Before you all shoot this idea in the head, what are the disadvantages of this? How will it adversely effect your game? It's already hard enough to get close enough to an enemy to saw (due to being pushed back by fire) - shouldn't the player be rewarded if they are able to do this?

Offline X-Rayz

• Camper
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 12:29:18 am »
Hang on, in your first post you said that "blah blah only to get push back on your second run". Wouldnt it be the same, if as you ran past him he survived? He still pushes you back since i dont think disarming works while your running.

p01ntl355 l0l.

Offline Stalky

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 03:19:19 am »
J-Factor, I'm impressed. Your posts in this topic have been very mature and friendly, especially when you addressed Mr. Jenkins. Kudos to you :) I think many people in this forum need to take a leaf from your book.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 06:14:19 am »
This is a perfect example of why this should be implemented. If someone is able to make a complete saw sweep through you, you should be dead. Be it lag that prevents all of the damage registering, the saw'er is forced to attack again. They should at least be protected from being slowed down/killed by an enemy's fire who should have been dead in the first place.

Before you all shoot this idea in the head, what are the disadvantages of this? How will it adversely effect your game? It's already hard enough to get close enough to an enemy to saw (due to being pushed back by fire) - shouldn't the player be rewarded if they are able to do this?

Because as has been said numerous times already, the saw is a one-hit kill. It disarms when it kills, and it kills on contact. Issues with lag or whatnot affecting hits from registering would not be solved with a "disarming" ability, since the hits are shared. The chainsaw doesn't/shouldn't have a 50/50 chance of a disarm or kill strike. Usage would be shared by both abilities, and the half of that that causes a kill would negate the need for a disarming ability to be tacked onto it. If the kill doesn't register, then the disarm attack would not either.

Offline H31MU7

• Major
  • BOOM HEADSHOT!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 09:37:02 am »
Umm well in a way it does dis arm someone, sometimes ripping off every limb and all is left is a useless torso!

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 10:05:41 am »
Umm.. It ISNT one hit kill.

Anyway, the 30 ammo boost set for next version is enough boosting for the Saw.

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
  • I know Karate!....and several other Japanese words
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 10:44:01 am »
Umm.. It ISNT one hit kill.

Have you used a chainsaw recently?

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2006, 12:17:23 pm »
its 2-4 hit kil i believe. and yes, j-factor has been able to act in a good way with so many rude remarks. thats great, maybe our forum standards are going up. anyway i agree with this idea, and. if you have 1/4 of your life after a chainsaw attack...is it really going to matter because you should have died anyway? pros might be able to get away. but thats when chainsawer takes out a trusty auto and sprays him :) lol.

Offline TDL

• Soldier
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2006, 12:23:43 pm »
I think this idea is a bit useless.

Just try to make more hits register.