Author Topic: Innate skill or Just Good Luck?  (Read 2810 times)

Offline Raynor

• Major(1)
Innate skill or Just Good Luck?
« on: October 29, 2006, 10:45:25 pm »
Hello! I'm new here. And to the game of Soldat. I registered my game sometime yesterday and the first match I went in, I won two games with 30 kills each. Is that good? Bad? Lucky?

Also, what's everyone's problem with the M79? It's a 1-shot kill just like the Barret and you hafta nail them right on to kill'em.

Another thing, does anyone recognize my name? :)

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
Re: Innate skill or Just Good Luck?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 10:55:37 pm »
Hello! I'm new here.
Welcome to the forums. ^_^

I registered my game sometime yesterday and the first match I went in, I won two games with 30 kills each. Is that good? Bad? Lucky?
What server was this? Was it against other players or just bots?  We need more information before we can say how good of an accomplishment this is.

Also, what's everyone's problem with the M79? It's a 1-shot kill just like the Barret
That's what everyone's problem is with it.

and you hafta nail them right on to kill'em.
Yes, but most m79ers fire at point-blank when it's impossible to miss.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 11:07:00 pm »
1. I dont hate any weapon, I hate when they are overused in a server and m79 and barret in infamous for doing that to servers, but it might be just the maps fault. Dont recognize your name mate. 30 kills isnt a ton, but not bad. Depends on who your playing with really.

Offline F3nyx

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 11:16:05 pm »
Hey, I saw you today!  In U13, I think, or maybe that WM DM server.  And yes, I recognize your name, Marshal James Raynor.

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 11:24:55 pm »
Jim Raynor from Starcraft?
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline Raynor

• Major(1)
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 11:51:41 pm »
Heheh. I got my name from Starcraft. It was with players, not bots. And I don't really like getting into people's faces with the M79. I like lobbing the shots over a long distance or speeding over a target and bombing them.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 01:21:19 am »
Soldat's difficulty varies alot from which server you play on. +30 is never bad, but not nescessarily insanely good. If you just started playing, I'd say you wouldn't have to be ashamed, though.

Welcome to the cause, mate.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Krillious

• Camper
  • If you were a hindu I could aim for the dot
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 01:53:30 am »
considering he said he won every match by 30 i don't think saying '30 kills isn't a lot' makes sense because he can't get more than that
anyways gj on the kills, if you really want to see if it is skill just join a game today and tell us how much score you get :p

Offline Raynor

• Major(1)
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 11:39:22 am »
Name the server, and I'll try to get on before work. Set it up around 3:00 pm central. I'll try to be there with my M79. XD

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 12:03:54 pm »
Difficulty varies with you you play with and against and how even teams are both in number and skill. Two consecutive games won't really vary much so it should be no surprise that if you played poor people on one map, you'll get the same level on the next. Also be sure not to do like so many and look at your flag capture points as "kills." Kinda bugs me to see people with poor K:D brag about their "kills" when they were just sitting on the flag all game while the team was defending and attempting returns. :P

and you hafta nail them right on to kill'em.
Yes, but most m79ers fire at point-blank when it's impossible to miss.

Which is the victim's fault for getting that close and ultimately no different than if a Barret, knife, or saw had done the same. The only real issue with M79 point blank kills is the launcher surviving the point blank damage himself.

Offline Raynor

• Major(1)
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 12:42:00 pm »
We were playing deathmatch. I don't really like capture the flag all that much. About the M79, yes a couple of times I've hit someone in the face with a shot only to be rocketed skyward.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 02:52:25 pm »
I just LOVE it when m79/barrett is overused. It is just so cool to rush around with nades and an auto making double, triple or multikills against camping barretts.

It is easy because of almost all of them miss fast moving target when they do not have the experience to know how regular old Soldat player moves to get as much speed as possible.
1 nade at camper, and he/she is dead, if not, 2-3 bullets and he/she surely is. Repeat this same 2-4 times for about 10 seconds, or as long as you have nades/ammo in your weapon (+ secondary) OR there are enemies nearby, and it takes 1 minute and you get rid of barrett/m79 overusage. :)
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Commander Kitsune

• Soldier
  • Kits
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 03:09:35 pm »
It does depend on who you're playing with to judge how good/bad 30 kills is. 30 is a lot for me because

A. I'm a saw noob =D
B. I'm an INF Bravo member just about every game
C. I always get lamed to hell right before an amazing kill
D. A lot of people lag through my saw
E. I play when all the good barreters are on :(

So nice job! Keep up the ownage.

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 03:50:58 pm »

B. I'm an INF Bravo member just about every game

lol owls gets over 30 like every other game.....ive broken 30 a few times myself ;D
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline Commander Kitsune

• Soldier
  • Kits
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 03:59:47 pm »
You forgot the saw part...you know me better than that T-Bone =D.

Offline XYZ

• Soldier
  • Banned
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 04:04:17 pm »
The only real issue with M79 point blank kills is the launcher surviving the point blank damage himself.

Um. You mean besides the vicious, most of the time deadly splash damage taken from the explosion? A lot of the time one shot from a minimi or AK-74 will kill anybody who just blasted a M79 point-blank if they're not already dead from the person he killed. (the invisikill, fist or 'blank' kill without a weapon).

ArmedManiac

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 04:49:11 pm »
since it was dm it is *slightly* different than, say, inf. But yeah, gj, welcome to the soldat

Offline vulgar

• Major(1)
  • Banned.
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 03:58:22 pm »
welcome matey, yarrrr.............
Banned.  I spam!

Offline The_Teacher

• Major
  • Only the saw is unstained from filthy blood!
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2006, 03:12:15 pm »
Hello! I'm new here. And to the game of Soldat. I registered my game sometime yesterday and the first match I went in, I won two games with 30 kills each. Is that good? Bad? Lucky?

Also, what's everyone's problem with the M79? It's a 1-shot kill just like the Barret and you hafta nail them right on to kill'em.

Another thing, does anyone recognize my name? :)

Nope, but it really depends on your kill to death score, and did you get any caps?  Also, how long did it take to get to the thirthy. And yes, most noobs shouyldn't manage to get so high a score. Well, not around me atleas <.< (eazy killz > hard killz)
My aim sucks.