Author Topic: All the Pseudo game types!  (Read 5506 times)

Offline Pyroguy

• Camper
  • Torch it.
All the Pseudo game types!
« on: November 03, 2006, 11:40:11 pm »
There are a lot of pseudo game modes out there, and many of them are pretty fun. Psuedo gametypes, incase you do not know, are concepts twined in weapon mods and maps that are fairly unique from the game modes typically found in Soldat. I started this topic to name them all off and describe their purpose a little bit. Perhaps even to make new pseudo-gametypes known. I will try to keep a running list of all the gametypes people suggest; if you are going to post a new gametype, please enclose it in a quote box or bold it or something, so it stands out. This is meant for a reference to new players as well as a mapper/modder looking for a mode to work with. Here are the gametypes I have so far:

Mortar Wars
Official Game Mode-
Teammatch and CTF
Unofficial Prefix-
law_ and ctf_law_
Description-
Mortar wars is one of the more unique pseudo-modes out there. It is accompanied by a weapon modification that makes the speed of the law a lower than normal number; the generally established Speed value is (???), and increasing the rate of fire (through a combo of faster reload+bigger clip). The maps all include two sides; one for Alpha, and one for Bravo; and they are split in the middle by a barrier which is high enough so that players cannot jump over it, but also low enough to allow LAW rockets to reach all parts of one side from the opposite side. Maps also have very little or no jets, and sometimes death obstacles which players have to avoid while dodging enemy rockets. The LAW is usually the only weapon allowed, but the Berret is sometimes enabled for its scope. Mortar Wars is sometimes played in Survival Mode.

Dodgeball
Official Game Mode-
Teammatch and CTF
Unofficial Prefix-
db_ and ctf_db_
Description-
Dodgeball is one of the oldest pseudo-modes. All weapons but the knife are turned off. Maps consist of two sides and an impassable central barrier, which is made of bullets-don't-collide polygons. The goal is to throw your knives at each other until one team is erradicated. Sometimes, weapon mods increase the Speed of the knife, and also turn the Bullettype of the punch to 13, so players can "generate" knives if they run out. Dodgeball is typically played with Survival mode turned on, but not always.

Trench Wars
Official Game Mode-
Capture the Flag
Unofficial Prefix-
tw_ and ctf_tw_
Description-
Trenchwars is a form of CTF on a large scale. Trenchwars maps are typically much longer than other CTF maps, and feature a single major route from one base to another. TW maps are also littered with many small foxholes or cover objects, and have a few large bunkers or other special positions that serve as "control points". TW is unique because of the linear gameplay; the teams face off against each other, fighting to take over each bunker one by one, until they reach the enemy's base. TW is almost always fought in Realistic mode, and sometimes the Chaingun is changed to prevent "bullet surfing".

Climbing
Official Game Mode-
CTF
Unofficial Prefix-
kz_ and ctf_kz_
(Note from Avarax; "I made some of the first climbing maps; I took the prefix from CS climbing maps.")
Description-
Climbing is a pacifist pseudo mode, and is similar to Racing. Climbing maps are constructed with a long, strung out series of obstacles, and often have little or no jets. The goal of the maps is to reach the flags at the end, and "capture" the enemy's flag to prove you have made it. Players must utilize their skills of different jumping and movement techniques to overcome the obstacles and reach the end. The major difference between racing and climbing is that climbing is centered around the difficulty of often deadly obstacles, and the skill required to overcome them; and not speed, like in racing. Some maps are based solely on jumping techniques, where all weapons should be disabled, while others have obstacles designed specifically for the use of M79/grenade jumping or Chaingun surfing. Also, some maps have seperate routes for each team; some use the same path for both teams; others have mirrored routes; and even others box in one team, to make it more of a competition for individual players. The servers that run climbing maps usually run weapons mods that make the damage of all weapon 0, so they don't have to worry about enabling guns for fear of killing enemy (or friendly) climbers.

Racing
Official Game Mode-
CTF
Unofficial Prefix-
rce_ and ctf_rce_
Description-
Racing is a pacifist pseudo mode, similar to climbing. Racing maps are contructed with a linear layout, with a few obstacles in the way to slow people down. The goal is to be the first to reach the flags at the end of the "race course" and capture the enemy's flag to win. The difference between racing and climbing is that racing focuses on the ability of the player to move quickly through the obstacles, while not having terribly difficult or deadly obstacles like often found in climbing. Most racing maps force both teams to go on the same path, so you can see who is winning; but some have mirrored courses or quarantine one team so that the winner is based on a player basis, not a team basis. Weapons are usually disabled, but some maps are built for speed tricks from M79 jumping and Chaingun surfing. The servers that run racing maps usually run weapons mods that make the damage of all weapon 0, so they don't have to worry about enabling guns for fear of killing enemy (or friendly) racers.

Campaign or Co-Op
Official Game Mode-
INF
Unofficial Prefix-
sp_ and inf_sp_
Description-
The campaign mode is the result of a lack of an official "offline" singeplayer mode for Soldat. Singleplayer maps are usually long and detailed. They pit a large team of Bravo soldiers against a very small amount of Alpha players. The goal is for Alpha to reach the end of the map and plant the flag to win. The objective flag is started near Alpha spawns, so a player must carry it as they fight. Singleplayer maps usually have a single path and MANY Bravo team spawnpoints, with a lot of camping for the Bravo team; along with cleverly designed traps and powerups in oddly useful locations, for Alpha. Weapons like the LAW, M79, or Berret are often changed, so that Alpha members cannot be one-hit killed. Singleplayer is almost always played on Survival, and often in Realistic mode.

Puzzle
Official Game Mode-
CTF or DM
Unofficial Prefix-
pz_ and ctf_pz_
Description-
Puzzle mode is an offshoot of Singleplayer. Puzzle maps include obstacles the player must overcome with careful or inventive thought. They are often more detailed than other maps, emphasizing the map and goals instead of traditional Soldat gameplay. Usually weapons are not meant for puzzle maps, but M79 jumping is a tactic that is sometimes required, as well as "bullet surfing" with the Chaingun. Most puzzle maps are meant to be played one at a time, so the secrets of the map are not given away.

Ninjas
Official Game Mode-
DM or TM
Unofficial Prefix-
nja_
Description-
Someone who spent too much time in Japan came up with Ninja mode. The background on Ninja maps is made to be a single solid color; the most common is black. All players are supposed to color their character entirely in the map color (sometimes Servers initiate a clan match with a black Bot on each team so people don't have to change settings before joining). When you stand still, you are completely invisible. All weapons but the knife are turned off, because bullets are just not Ninja-y. Sometimes weapon mods increase the speed of knives, make knife shooting guns, or try to implement other improvised Ninja weapons.

More pseudo gametypes to come! Please post any modes you feel were omitted, and I will add them.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 09:01:45 pm by Pyroguy »

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
Re: All the Pseudo game types!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 11:51:32 pm »
As popular as it is, you might want to include the unofficial Race gamemode just for clarity. Nice topic idea :)

Offline homey188

• Soldier
    • A good roleplay site
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 10:08:27 am »
Does Zombie count as an unnoficial gametype?

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 10:14:27 am »
Does Zombie count as an unnoficial gametype?
I'd say so, yes.

Offline ultraman

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 11:46:50 am »
Don't forget Duckhunt, and climbing(?)

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 12:06:44 pm »
And trenchwars!!

What the fuck happened to trenchwars . I want them back !!!

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 02:58:16 pm »
Enesce corp. has a trenchwar server.

Trenchwar
Official Game Mode-
CTF
Unofficial Prefix-
tw_ and ctf_tw_
Description-
A form of CTF where the maps have only one route, with trenches, bunkers and stat guns along the way, which, in a sense, server as checkpoints and sub-objectives. There is never more than a half second of jet fuel alotted, and realistic is always on. These parameters allow for very realistic combat, where every inch of the territory is fought over.

Press quote on my post to get the BBcode.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Joako

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 03:48:07 pm »
Climbing.

Duckhunt.

I once saw a basketball.

Um, can't think of any other.

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 04:00:59 pm »
Pac man, donky kong

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 04:18:00 pm »
Climbing
Official Game Mode
CTF
Unofficial Prefixes
kz_ and ctf_kz_
Description
A gametype in which a team of players (usually Alpha) must undergo a course of obstacles to reach the flag area, where they can cap the flag.  This gametype involves ,most of the time, jumping, backflipping, mid-air control, and sometimes nade-jumping sliding.  Some climbing maps disable jets, but others keep jets enabled because there are obstacles of which jet is needed to avoid (i.e. tunnels constructed with "deadly" polygons).

Also, all climbing servers disable every weapon to prevent cheap tricks such as m79, nade and spas boosting and minigun flight.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 04:24:31 pm by Eagles_Arrows »

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Joako

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 06:54:10 pm »
REQUEST

A server with most Pseudo game types.

Offline Pyroguy

• Camper
  • Torch it.
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 07:26:17 pm »
Thanks for all the replies already! I'm going to add in Trenchwars, Racing, and Climbing now. I have some questions about some things though, hopefully someone can answer me;
-What is the usual Speed for the LAW rockets on Mortar Wars? This kind of matters because you can't play if the rockets can't get over the middle, and I used to know but I forgot.
-Why do climbing maps have the prefix "kz"? I never quite understood and I'm sure there are others who don't; its not as intuitive as rce or law.
-How does the Basketball mode work? I have read about it a lot but never played it myself, nor have I found any basketball maps.
-I have never heard of a Duckhunt mode, what is it?
-What did jettlarue mean about pac man and donkey kong?
-Are there any specific Zombie maps out there? I have been on servers where it is just a bunch of Boogie Men on the green team, but I havn't seen any maps made specifically for Zombie matches.
-Should I count Reverse CTF or Reverse Infiltration? Perhaps I will just add all the official game modes in and add some info about Reverses.
-How about Sliding or Campaign/Co-op? Would these count as "modes"?

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 08:12:16 pm »
-Why do climbing maps have the prefix "kz"? I never quite understood and I'm sure there are others who don't; its not as intuitive as rce or law.

Originally, Climbing was called "Climbing Soldats."  Because Counter-Strike holds the initials CS, the prefix is KZ_ for "Klimbing Zoldats."

-Are there any specific Zombie maps out there? I have been on servers where it is just a bunch of Boogie Men on the green team, but I havn't seen any maps made specifically for Zombie matches.

There were a couple of maps specially designed for Zombie matches that have been submitted here.

-How about Sliding or Campaign/Co-op? Would these count as "modes"?

I don't know what Sliding is (unless ctf_skeleton falls into that category, but Campaign/Co-op (imo) should be counted as subgamemodes.

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Pyroguy

• Camper
  • Torch it.
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 08:24:55 pm »
Thanks for the info Eagles Arrow. Do you know the prefixes used for Zombie maps? Sliding is maps with many Ice polygons, requiring you to prone and "slide" (pressing left or right to move) to gain speed for jumps and other things. It is a bug in the ice polygon that MM never removed, and a few maps have been made around it. You can only do so much with sliding polygons, though; most sliding maps are just singleplayer where the fun is in doing the whole map. I don't think it is really a new "mode", and even if it was, it would basically be Racing but with ice polygons.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 08:37:27 pm by Pyroguy »

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2006, 08:29:37 pm »
I believe it is ZM_ for "Zombie Match."

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2006, 08:41:15 pm »
sp_ is single player / co-op, and almost always uses the inf prefix.

pz_ is puzzle, similiar to sp, but there are usually no enemies, and the maps are puzzles, in a way. Uses CTF.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
    • Official Hexer & MMod site
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2006, 01:36:54 pm »

Unofficial Prefix-
kz_ and ctf_kz_
(Note from Eagles Arrows; "Originally, Climbing was called Climbing Soldats.  Because Counter-Strike holds the initials CS, the prefix KZ_ was used, for Klimbing Zoldats.")

this explanation is total crap, they are called kz maps because i called them that way.

kz_ is the prefix of climb maps from Counterstrike maps, i simply adopted that for the first climb map ever made, kz_sky and then kz_tower, and everyone simply sticked to my prefix

---

enough of flaming :D

very nice summary of sub gamemodes :)
you are missing zombie-mode though

you should add some maplinks for each mode

---

duckhunt is an infiltration based mode where bravo team are the "Hunters" simply being stuck in a forest with many trees and bushes in front of the players so they can move mostly unseen. the other team are the "Ducks" which have to run over platforms in the sky over the hunters' forest and get to the flag on the other side of the map. barrett is the only allowed weapon, so all bravo does is camping and sniping down the ducks while the ducks try to run and dodge some bullets to get to the flag and bring it back home. the forest and the sky part are divided by a "only players collide" poly so no direct interaction is possible.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 01:44:58 pm by Avarax »
I like to have one Martini
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host

Offline Nfsjunkie91

• Camper
  • Just what I needed. A box of sh-t.
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 05:10:39 pm »

Unofficial Prefix-
kz_ and ctf_kz_
(Note from Eagles Arrows; "Originally, Climbing was called Climbing Soldats.  Because Counter-Strike holds the initials CS, the prefix KZ_ was used, for Klimbing Zoldats.")

this explanation is total crap, they are called kz maps because i called them that way.

kz_ is the prefix of climb maps from Counterstrike maps, i simply adopted that for the first climb map ever made, kz_sky and then kz_tower, and everyone simply sticked to my prefix

---

enough of flaming :D

very nice summary of sub gamemodes :)
you are missing zombie-mode though

you should add some maplinks for each mode

---

duckhunt is an infiltration based mode where bravo team are the "Hunters" simply being stuck in a forest with many trees and bushes in front of the players so they can move mostly unseen. the other team are the "Ducks" which have to run over platforms in the sky over the hunters' forest and get to the flag on the other side of the map. barrett is the only allowed weapon, so all bravo does is camping and sniping down the ducks while the ducks try to run and dodge some bullets to get to the flag and bring it back home. the forest and the sky part are divided by a "only players collide" poly so no direct interaction is possible.

Kounter Ztrike?

Good topic, I hope the main post gets updated with the info that's been posted.

P.S. We need more Duckhunt and SP/Co-op maps.

Offline Pyroguy

• Camper
  • Torch it.
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 12:36:58 am »
Can people explain how Basketball maps areĀ  designed and the "special" things about zombie maps? I am adding in singlepleyer and puzzle now. What is the abbreviation for duckhunt maps, if any?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 12:53:20 am by Pyroguy »

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
    • Official Hexer & MMod site
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 03:06:45 am »
no, the guy that made climb map in counter strike was called kezter or something and he simply put his nickshortform as a prefix. i simply took the idea, although kezter (or whatever that nick was like) has nothing to do with soldat ;(
I like to have one Martini
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host