Author Topic: Overload mode  (Read 7493 times)

Offline Death MachineX350

• Camper
Re: Overload mode
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2006, 09:26:08 am »
No, I mean something metal and glowing doesn't look that good in a rural-type map like Laos or Maya. It would look good in CS and DE type maps, though.
Which is why and would look fine. Metal, but not glowing and scifiey.  just a big ol' crate.
Destroying crates? FTW! YEAH!

Offline popsofctown

• Camper
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2006, 03:08:44 pm »
The simplest way to program this is probably important.  This idea may be stupid, but if it isn't it wouldn't require too much coding i dont think...  could u make the object a bot?  one that stands where the flag usually is, doesnt move, has much more health than usual, and is changed to look like a box?
Without originality society is doomed.
If you are tired of seeing the same lines in every signature, don't put this in your signature

\\\**I love DM**///

Offline Cato269

• Camper
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2006, 04:07:32 pm »
no it can't be a bot, otherwise more gosteks will need to be added. and then, you would still need to code it as if this bot dies, whole team loses.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2007, 01:42:33 pm »
Now, did any betatesters ever read the topic? :O
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Magic Odd Effect

• Camper
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2007, 11:02:31 pm »
Hmm....another objective-based gamemode....

I like it.

I say it should be an "object of importance". Depending on the map, it could be a radio, generator, maybe even a car or a statue. The object should vary by map.

Although those crates do look nice. Could work in a map somewhat like Factory or the CS maps.
Don't say that you're Magic. Because you aren't, and I am.
All-around good with weapons that aren't long range, except in TW.
Now be careful out there, soldier.
Best Newbie in the May 2007 Soldatforums Member Awards!

Offline chazzer_

• Soldier
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2007, 09:39:45 am »
F12 Good idea simple

A box is too boring a generator would be a good idea but the maps would have to be redesigned to stop spray

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2007, 10:06:36 am »
I think this "object" should be a collider or something. So you could set it's size and make it look like a radio or a big generator...

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2007, 11:48:22 am »
F12 or die with fire.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2007, 12:01:22 pm »
I think that CTF maps COULD be played, but if Overload mode, the flag would be replaced with "object". There could also be spesific maps for Overload mode aswell.

I just loved to play this in Quake 3 Tem arena. :|
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2007, 04:14:04 pm »
Maybe, instead of being a normal object, it could be assigned as a scenery type, so if you wanted it to be a crate for the map, it could be. If you wanted it to be a statue for the map, it could be. Hell, it could even be a tank or a car.

As mentioned before, the damage could be set by the server, like the score decreasing until one team loses with a score of 0, and the other team wins with a score above zero.

Also, when it "dies", it wouldn't hurt for there to be an explosion ^_^

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2007, 05:09:36 pm »
Well, the "Final pulse" should kill everything in the set radius. The radius could be set from soldat.ini, and this is to prevent mass-destroying it. Also, 2-5 seconds "build up" for the objective could be done, to prevent mass-destroying. So, the pbject should be blinking like Soldat is when spawning.

Also, the damage caused by "Final pulse" could reduce over distance.

Just some brainstorming. :o
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline The Owls

• Soldier
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2007, 01:56:56 pm »
The only problem with this is the damage delt to it.  I like the idea, but in the weapons ini. m79 deals a crap load of damage, and one shot from one of those would take it out.  But if you gave it enough health to survive a shot from one of those, then the other weapons would be worthless.  Just something to take into consideration.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2007, 01:59:55 pm »
maybe add a statement: If damage dealt equals more than 1000 points, deal 1000 points.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline Memxio

• Major
  • Rugertard
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2007, 03:06:07 pm »
This does sound like an interesting idea that I would definitely check out but I can already tell you that the only gun that's going to be used for this game mode will be the M79 as Owls had said. Any ideas as to how to avoid that?

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2007, 03:22:13 pm »
This does sound like an interesting idea that I would definitely check out but I can already tell you that the only gun that's going to be used for this game mode will be the M79 as Owls had said. Any ideas as to how to avoid that?

Server side scripting could be easy to implement.

If samage dealt is over 250, then the damage dealt is 250. This means that max. possible damage to deal is 250.

There could be soldat.ini option for this. max_overload_damage = 250 or something.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Magic Odd Effect

• Camper
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2007, 03:27:42 pm »
That's a good idea. Adjusting the max damage done to it would be cool.

Another idea would be to add a variable into a special weapons.ini (like the realistic balance one) for this mode. For each weapon, it would say "maxdamage=(amount)" to say the max damage the weapon can do to the object. And the anti-spray is in effect, so spraying is useless.
Don't say that you're Magic. Because you aren't, and I am.
All-around good with weapons that aren't long range, except in TW.
Now be careful out there, soldier.
Best Newbie in the May 2007 Soldatforums Member Awards!

Offline Dev1200

• Major
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2007, 12:06:05 am »
f12 ;]

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2007, 03:16:33 am »
Thsi would be a good idea for that 4-Team CTF, because it would be easier to balance.

Offline imacheater2k7

• Soldier
  • Your friendly neighborhood semi-goth.
    • New VGN
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2007, 11:07:59 pm »
Umm . . . I have an idea for an object. The boxes and statues sound like a good idea, believe me, but how about something more up to the mapmaker? There should be at least five different objects to choose from, the boxes and statues included. Then there could be the Generator, a Satelite, and a Vault. These three objects are not only cool, but they all hold some sort of importance, unlike statues and boxes. Also, the M79 problem could be solved easily, if the host would simply deactivate the weapon. Or, as all said before, you could set a max. damage. And I believe the object should be enclosed in a small room, where it is only accessible from below. The object could be placed next to the hole, this way people have to actually get inside to attack it. Comments?

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2007, 03:24:02 am »
^But they need to have some physics in them, otherwise they would look very static compared to everything else going on, and we wouldn't want a statue to spawn, then just fall over lamely. It needs to be something that can deal with physics easily (plus all objects with skeletons look and act awesomely, thanks to the physics engine).

Very true, love the idea.
"You should've used the pythagoras theorum, b*tch."
[/url]