Author Topic: Overload mode  (Read 7504 times)

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
Overload mode
« on: November 04, 2006, 04:47:03 pm »
What about a mode where there are 2 Objects in both bases. (Like in CTF there are flags..)

The idea is to destroy the opposing teams object as many times as possible within given timelimit (Just like in CTF, Cap as many times as possible)

Object should be "repairing" itself all the time, until it has 100% health.
After ohject is destroyed, it Spawns with 100% health (and MAYBE some kind of pulse to kill all nearby enemies, to prevent spam-destroying)

About maps:
Maps should be a bit different than in CTF, to prevent spraying from mid-map to another base.

There should be 2-4 routes to object.

Maps should be fairly big, since 3v3 game is pretty small on this kind of a gamemode(usually 1 defending)

Players should respawn far behind the flag, to make sure they are not able to just run and rescue the Object.

I think I suggested this like 2 years ago, but to be honest.. I dont really remember the feedback it got.

Another variant/mode would be to have 1 object in center of the map, and both teams try to destroy it.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
Re: Overload mode
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 04:58:30 pm »
A simpler version of UT2004's Onslaught mode?  Seems like a fine idea to me.

For maps, how about place these objects in an enclosed area?  That way, soldatens can't spray those objects.

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 05:03:36 pm »
^that's up to the mappers.

I think this sounds great, so long as the object is very simple, ie. a big block with the team title on it. It's like UT's onslaught, but far simpler. Simple is good.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline 1010011010

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 05:04:49 pm »
The 'object' should be a crate of vital medical supplies or guns or something. I don't know, makes a little more sense.

ArmedManiac

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 05:08:45 pm »
Sounds good too me, blowing stuff up is always fun, but instead of a pulse and killing everyone, giving them deaths, just have everyone respawn and it say like 3...2....1... GOO!! and you go and kill it again. As for the thing your blowing up, maybe just a box and let the user use its imagination :) Like i said, sounds good.

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 05:32:54 pm »

Whipped those up in Photoshop. A big crate of god knows what. Has the medikit physics, but takes a sh?tload of force to move. Players can stand of top of it. When it's finally destroyed, it sends shrapnel everywhere, killing nearly everyone in range. The point limit is how many times the crate is blown. Suggestions?
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 05:35:31 pm »
The first thing that came to my mind upon reading this suggestion was that the objects could be like UT's "power cores" except a bit smaller.

Also, when a player moves his cursor over his team's object it should tell him how much health it has left, like telling how much health a teammate has.

Power Core (75%)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 05:42:32 pm by Eagles_Arrows »

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline 1010011010

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 05:42:47 pm »
Yeah, but a large power core really doesn't look good in some maps.

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 05:45:09 pm »
Well, I said "smaller."  Objects could be, like, twice as big as a soldaten, and no larger.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 05:46:49 pm by Eagles_Arrows »

Offline 1010011010

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 05:46:28 pm »
No, I mean something metal and glowing doesn't look that good in a rural-type map like Laos or Maya. It would look good in CS and DE type maps, though.

ArmedManiac

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 05:48:50 pm »
I say don't have it kill everyone, people don't like deaths, especially if they are inevitable.

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 06:13:13 pm »
No, I mean something metal and glowing doesn't look that good in a rural-type map like Laos or Maya. It would look good in CS and DE type maps, though.
Which is why and would look fine. Metal, but not glowing and scifiey.  just a big ol' crate.

Offline 1010011010

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 06:15:30 pm »
Which is why and would look fine. Metal, but not glowing and scifiey.  just a big ol' crate.

agrreied

Offline F3nyx

• Soldier
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 07:19:30 pm »
Reminds of Tribes' Defend and Destroy gametype.

This could be a very fun and different new gametype.  Maps would need to be designed such that teams couldn't just spam across the map to damage the objective -- objectives would have be semi-protected.

But come on, a CRATE?  No offense, but a big square block of nothing seems like a placeholder.  What about a tree, or a "generator," or a small building?

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2006, 07:26:09 pm »
Yes'm I like it!

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2006, 07:48:58 pm »
Reminds of Tribes' Defend and Destroy gametype.

This could be a very fun and different new gametype.  Maps would need to be designed such that teams couldn't just spam across the map to damage the objective -- objectives would have be semi-protected.

But come on, a CRATE?  No offense, but a big square block of nothing seems like a placeholder.  What about a tree, or a "generator," or a small building?

Who would want to defend a tree? :P
But yes, I agree that a big black crate doesn't really fit as an objective... let's think of some ideas, you guys.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2006, 08:24:49 pm »
Well, who runs around with enemy flag just to put enemies flag to their own? :P

The object could be just for example some kind of a structure mounted to ground or something :P
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2006, 08:45:44 pm »
But yes, I agree that a big black crate doesn't really fit as an objective... let's think of some ideas, you guys.
I can't think of anything that could work in any theme of map, besides a giant box filled with explosives.

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2006, 08:56:41 pm »
Statues depicting soldatens would work.  Ya?  No?

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2006, 09:44:57 pm »
^But they need to have some physics in them, otherwise they would look very static compared to everything else going on, and we wouldn't want a statue to spawn, then just fall over lamely. It needs to be something that can deal with physics easily (plus all objects with skeletons look and act awesomely, thanks to the physics engine).