Author Topic: Server name hotsearch  (Read 2650 times)

Offline BooBoo McBad

• Soldier
Server name hotsearch
« on: June 17, 2006, 06:17:46 pm »
Let's say I'm playing with friends/want to duel someone from a public and the server I make doesn't come up in lobby, they could type in it's name and it would link to the server.

What do you guys think? I think this is plausable and could be pretty useful finding servers.

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
  • I know Karate!....and several other Japanese words
Re: Server name hotsearch
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 07:12:46 pm »
I find it easy enough to use Xfire and join friend's games from there.  But this might be nice.

Offline Mr. Jenkins

• Soldier
  • AKA "Oneburt"
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 08:42:55 pm »
I find it easy enough to use Xfire and join friend's games from there.  But this might be nice.
Well not everyone has xfire, and for some reason my join game button stopped working. It is permanently disabled.

Its called All-Seeying Eye...
Please tell me more about this 'All-Seeying Eye' jazz.

I am in favour of this idea, it would be easy to program and cut down the hassle of looking through the names and most likely missing it.

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 10:14:58 pm »
Do you know how many times I have seen this idea and how many times I have said yes to it? :P

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Stalky

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 03:22:32 am »
Please tell me more about this 'All-Seeying Eye' jazz.

Try reading this.

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 02:08:50 pm »
well, i dont think the search would be a bad idea, but i a with the xfire idea. It's simple, handy, and causes people much less time who have to create the search function.
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline vulbastick

• Soldier
  • Lasers From Atlantis
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 07:45:55 pm »
good idea.

not everyone can have x-fire or all seeing eye for one reason or another.

Offline BooBoo McBad

• Soldier
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 09:45:23 pm »
Exactly vulba, also sometimes you just want to face a person once when x fire / ASE isn't necessary.

Offline Beasticly

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 10:20:06 pm »
I feel the in game server browser in soldat needs to be improved a lot. It'd be really nice if there were more filters, such as map name, country, ping time.

It's also frustrating not being able to see a server that you know is up but the server browser doesn't want to show you for some reason or another.

Offline BooBoo McBad

• Soldier
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 09:02:21 pm »
Exactly why this would fit in, it would just cue that server kind of like a domain name instead of an IP

Offline iPod

• Major
  • HA! HA! CARE FOR A MIXED NUT?
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 12:17:08 am »
In my opinion, as 'simple' as it may be to download ASE or x-fire or whatever, why in the world would I want to download an additional piece of software for an incredibly small feature as this? I don't see why the server list in Soldat can't or shouldn't be improved. IOW: I agree with Beasticly.
Also, ASE is commercial and therefore I find it horribly putrid.
[MpS]P00pSmith

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 08:52:27 pm »
1. Hit request servers.

2. Press the name button at the top left of the list subwindow. Servers are in alphabetical order. Should'nt be hard now.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day