Author Topic: shield as secundary weapon  (Read 11271 times)

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
Re: shield as secundary weapon
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2006, 01:52:42 pm »
i dont think it could become ownage material, because the shield doesnt cover the entire body...you are still weak at the back....a grenade thrown behidn to roll underneath a guy with a shield would make hamburger out of him.  And this is to the original post....wouldnt it be the 21st century warrior, since 20th century was the nineteen hundreds
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline vulbastick

• Soldier
  • Lasers From Atlantis
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2006, 07:53:08 pm »
How about that the shield has a sertain amouth of "armor" wich will be seen in the ammo bar, as the sheild takes damage, the bar will go down and eventually itll break when it reaches zero....

yeah cos imagine how annoying it would be if youd just blasted someones shield but they managed to avoid the rest of your wrath until they'd 'reloaded' it then come back again.

Offline Zegovia

• Flagrunner
  • Blow like a storm, burst like steam.
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2006, 04:37:06 am »
How about that the shield has a sertain amouth of "armor" wich will be seen in the ammo bar, as the sheild takes damage, the bar will go down and eventually itll break when it reaches zero....

yeah cos imagine how annoying it would be if youd just blasted someones shield but they managed to avoid the rest of your wrath until they'd 'reloaded' it then come back again.

Aye... I was also being realistic, those riot sheilds cant take unlimited amounth of damage... and that "reload" idea dosent make any sense also....

Second, the sheild would be kinda useless against the ownage caliber shot from a barret! since it can pierce through a tank!

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2006, 07:15:36 pm »
in real lfe chainsaws dont reload, so igeuss it wouldnt be wierd to have a reloading shield. I actually like this idea...it would add a whole new strategy to the game, and it would be a whole new skill to develop!
pretend it is too heavy and they need to put it down.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Lockand1oad

• Major(1)
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2006, 09:13:57 pm »
Sounds like a good idea, but instead of it destroying, the armor has to reload like a guns bullets so people cant have permanent shields like that one guy said. Also, mabye if you have the desert eagles, you can use one to poke "around" the shield and shoot at people, so like have one dude wit desert eagles in front then have everyone else behind him in single file wit shields over there head ready to jump out once their shield runs out of armor and kick some ass. With the armor drain, ability to move it around to defend different areas with the mouse, and the need to click to defend with it, mabye even if you make a swift jab up with the mouse and bash some poor sucker in the face with the shield. And make it one of those clear plastic like ones too.

Offline Beasticly

• Major(1)
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 10:17:25 pm »
Being able to reload while having a shield would be a bad idea. People would just camp with the barret, take a shot then resheild.

Just thinking about it now, it would be very hard to implement into soldat, unlike a game like counter-strike you only have the 2d view point, so, again unlike counter strike you can't really have the shield covering parts of your body while you fire a pistol and then have it fully cover you when you're not firing anything.

For it to work, I feel the shield would have to be kind of like body armour, even with the shield on it's still possible to take damage to your body, but there's a less of a chance. Maybe the shield could have it's own damage bar, like body armour has atm.

Offline Juggernaut

• Major(1)
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2006, 10:28:39 pm »
in real lfe chainsaws dont reload, so igeuss it wouldnt be wierd to have a reloading shield. I actually like this idea...it would add a whole new strategy to the game, and it would be a whole new skill to develop!

Here's an idea -- make the chainsaw the "shield." Make the actual saw part of the chainsaw deflect shots when being used. This will make the saw more useable both as an offensive and defensive weapon. Since it'd be running from the existing weapon, there wouldn't be an issues with removing/adding weapons, and it shouldn't be much to get a running chainsaw invincible, deadly land type properties.

dude that's what i said on the old forum lol.

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2006, 10:49:02 pm »
but then this makes it goe back into the whole theory of having the shield do damage
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline YoMammasMamma

• Major(1)
  • I'm also Stanley Decker.
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2006, 11:32:28 pm »
Hmmm...  While it has flaws, here's an idea on how to handle a shield item's durability/usage.

Instead of each shot doing such-and-such damage until the shield just breaks apart, it could be made so that too much force at once could break the shield.  That way, it would be sufficient for blocking light fire, but concentrated attacks would potentially break it.  M79 shells wouldn't penetrate the shield (the splash damage would pass through, though), while barrets, flamethrowers, and rambo bows would be able to penetrate it; all of them would place more significant stress on the shield than other weapons.

The problem with that idea, though, is that it encourages players to use M79s, barrets, and autos--the three big red flag wavers of Soldat weapon balance...
"Oh yeah?  Well...  Yo mamma!"

"Oh yeah!?  ...Uh, Yo Mamma's Mamma!"

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2006, 11:34:33 pm »
The problem with that idea, though, is that it encourages players to use M79s, barrets, and autos

That ALMOST summed up every gun in the game

Offline Meep.

• Camper
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2006, 11:37:47 pm »
The vest is good enough for me.  It doesn't seem necessary to add a sheild as a secondary.

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
  • I know Karate!....and several other Japanese words
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2006, 11:39:39 pm »
What about us realistic mode nuts that dont get vests?   :P

Offline Meep.

• Camper
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2006, 11:44:12 pm »
I am a realistic mode nut  :P, but I don't really like sheilds for Soldat; not like this.

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2006, 11:45:35 pm »
Me neither, but I couldn't leave realistic mode out of this argument.   8)

Offline Svirin Kerath

• Camper
  • O NO I GOT SHOTD
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2006, 02:32:44 pm »
i think yomamma's idea about damage is best; lighter weapons could be deflected, but it might still take damage, so after a certain amount of light arms fire it would be unusable.

as for firing around it, the deagles wouldn't work because you need both hands X)
perhaps the MP5 would be the only one you could use to fire around it (also remeniscent of swat teams). when you switch to the shield you're able to fire around, but to reload you need to switch back to your weapon.

and another idea... when you're not using the shield and it's presumably on your back, mayhaps it would still act to defend your back...?
I AM A SMARTARSED PRICK OF A HUMAN BEING

I AM ALSO DOUCHEBAGGERY, AND I'M SPREADING

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2006, 03:18:03 pm »
It would be abused, so no.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2006, 07:21:56 pm »

Could you be a little more specific?

Offline Beasticly

• Major(1)
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2006, 08:41:16 pm »

Could you be a little more specific?

People can camp with it, grab the flag and run back with it, ect. If MM was to implement it, I think it'd have to be pretty weak, or have disadvantages to using it.

Offline BooBoo McBad

• Soldier
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2006, 09:06:31 pm »
Some ideas off the top of my head

- Shield = like vest armor durability, except you need to control it?
- Grenades explode when they hit it?Would it still insta-kill if so?

Offline Shivorken

• Soldier
  • Full Blood Azn
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2006, 02:32:21 am »
Sheild can be a secondary weapons though it needs to work along these lines:

1) not unlimited
2) the ammo bar may be around about 30-45 and for every bullet taken in, an ammo from the ammo bar of your shield goes down (2 goes down for deagles and 3 goes down for ruger) and for every nade/m79 explsion according to where is exploded, shield will take a bulk damage, ie. a large portion of your ammo bar goes down. Barret shots will penetrate shield, doing reduced damage to player (sorta the same with a barret shot going through multiple players, each doing less and less, though shield should absorb about 45-55% of the damage)
3) once ammo bar is depleted, shield will have a 99999999 reload time, ie. it will take an eternity to reload
4) once u pick up a flag, shield will be automatically dropped from your weapons slot whether is it primary or secondary
5) anything hit from behind, shield ammo bar will not go down (unless its effected by splash damage) and player will take full damage

^^ this shield is moderately balanced and is probably a good choice for a weapon slot. It does not make you invinsible and if ur faced with 2 chuggas or 2 barretards, you may still have a chance of dying. It involves good use and practise to not waste this shield
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 02:41:55 am by Shivorken »
[/url]