Author Topic: Who plays these maps?  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
  • I know Karate!....and several other Japanese words
Who plays these maps?
« on: June 17, 2006, 10:41:43 pm »
Honestly, several new maps hit the forums every day, some are masterpieces, some are okay, and a lot just suck.  But how many servers do you actually see playing a lot of custom maps?  Some popular servers like leo's play a lot of good custom maps but almost nobody starts a server with a custom map usually becuase of issues with people downloading while joining or they just like the default ones.  I have over 700 maps in my folder and not counting the custom ones I only ever get use use a couple dozen.  Thousands of maps are made, posted, commented on, and then they dissapear.  And yet, everyone seems to persist wholeheartedly.  I just dont understand it.

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
Re: Who plays these maps?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 10:57:30 pm »
I've only ever made three publicly playable maps and one POC map, so I might not be the best source of insight on this matter, but the main drive for me was just to provide a bit of original fun to the other gamers out there.  Although I didn't know it, it seems one of my maps has been circulating for at least a year.  That's enough to make me proud even after I've given up map making.

So what do you expect?  People see this opportunity to provide fun to other people, to get some recognition, and perhaps have some fun creating something akin to art...of course they're going to continue doing it.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline Replica

• Major
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 08:05:11 am »
Plus it'd be good if a few of the best maps made it into the next version of Soldat or something...  maps that either had outstanding character or fun/unique + somewhat balanced gameplay. 

Offline MZ

• Major(1)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 10:35:29 am »
Honestly, several new maps hit the forums every day, some are masterpieces, some are okay, and a lot just suck.  But how many servers do you actually see playing a lot of custom maps?  Some popular servers like leo's play a lot of good custom maps but almost nobody starts a server with a custom map usually becuase of issues with people downloading while joining or they just like the default ones.  I have over 700 maps in my folder and not counting the custom ones I only ever get use use a couple dozen.  Thousands of maps are made, posted, commented on, and then they dissapear.  And yet, everyone seems to persist wholeheartedly.  I just dont understand it.
This has bothered me for a long time...
In the past I suggested that there be official map-packs released (on soldat.pl) every once in a while. I still think it would really help the situation.
An awesome map is released on these forums at least once every week, it seems like a real waste when we never get to play them online.
Soldat gets really boring for me when every decent speed server is CTF with all the same default maps.

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 10:49:35 am »
I, too, am concerned about the future of custom maps...

Two of my maps were on Leo's for a period of time, I'm quite proud of that.

But I'd also like to see more custom maps online... hopefully in the next version, the custom maps here will be added on.

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 11:26:35 am »
I have always wanted to host a server with nothing but custom maps. For some reason my computer never agrees with me, ME, XP, or otherwise, with D-Link or Beklin routers. :-\

Aye, custom maps appear to be losing strength in quality nowadays. Page 5 of the old forums was the last of really good maps, after the reign of Boxo and co., when graphics artists like rainrider & XTender stepped in. Hm...

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 08:26:56 pm »
i think mm should include atleast 200 maps with soldat. maybe there could be two downloads, one for people who dont have barely and hd space, and another one for people that have like 250 mbs. would promote custom maps, plus some custom maps are very good, and a lot of newbs dont realize that there are more sexy maps out there.

Offline ds dude

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • Lolicon Forever.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 08:33:12 pm »
wow if you actully think about not very many server use custom like plankoon said when you playing a map poeple dont have they need to download it which doesnt take very long then you go in.
This signature was borked. Now it is not.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 08:52:01 pm »
I'm not sure if anyone knows about this yet, but some day in the not really far away future the forums are going to have an official server with custom maps from these forums.  I don't think I'm going to announce it anywhere except here until it is up, so consider yourselves privileged

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 08:59:22 pm »
^<3

I'm making my maps for a purpose (except for the ctf ones, those are practice). I plan to have a server up when I get the time (and when I get past my router), which has my maps, EA and OoO's, Wraith's, and a couple other peoples'.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 10:09:58 pm »
^^<3

and

^<3 for mentioning me :)

Anf some maps are played, and it's fun to see what people can do using triangles colors and pictures.

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
  • I know Karate!....and several other Japanese words
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 11:00:45 pm »
I'm not sure if anyone knows about this yet, but some day in the not really far away future the forums are going to have an official server with custom maps from these forums. I don't think I'm going to announce it anywhere except here until it is up, so consider yourselves privileged

8)  Thanks Flies, It looks like something productive came out of this topic.