Author Topic: Flood kicked for doing /victory  (Read 6724 times)

Offline Snowden

• Major
Flood kicked for doing /victory
« on: June 18, 2006, 12:22:20 am »
On some servers, when you hold alt+4 for as little as 1 second, or if you tap it quickly twice, you get kickbanned for 20 minutes for 'flooding'. Manure ctf is one server that it definitely happens on, but it's happened to me on several others as well. On some servers it doesn't happen at all. All I know is that it's annoying and only started happening recently. Clearly I shouldn't have worry about getting banned every time I want to /victory.

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
Re: Flood kicked for doing /victory
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 12:31:54 am »
Because you are a spammer noob.

a) Holding alt+4 sends the command to the server like 20 times in one second, therefore flooding the server and getting you kicked.
b) It does not happen when you tap it twice. 8 times in one second = you get banned for 5 mins.

Offline Lapis Lazuli

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • One Hand Clapping
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 12:56:00 am »
Enesce has the truth of it.

Don't be retarded = Don't get kicked.
Steam ¤ Skype ¤ Soldat Wiki ¤ Need Help?
"Every thought you produce, anything you say, any action you do,
it bears your signature." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Offline Snowden

• Major
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 01:24:22 am »
Holding alt+4 for 1 second, hell, even half a second, is being a 'spammer noob' that is worthy of being banned automatically for? Bull. I've been banned about 10 times when doing /victory NATURALLY, the same way I have been doing it for the past 3 years. It is way too easy to hold a key for too long accidentally, especially when the threshold is so low. I'm not exaggerating at all when I say HALF A SECOND. The animation doesn't even finish before I am banned.

If holding alt+4 for half a second causes the client to send the command to the server 20 times, thereby flooding the server, then the client needs to be CHANGED.

Offline EnEsCe

• Flamebow Warrior
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 01:56:02 am »
Moral of the Story:
DONT, HOLD, DOWN, YOUR, TAUNTS!

No 'normal' people have problems with it, so deal with it.

Offline edak

• Flagrunner
  • AussiEdak
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 02:03:23 am »
LOL the spammer rebutted!
I don't think anyone needs to hold the button for that long, so why do you di it?  I never had it happen to me.

UPDATED 12-Aug-2010 FIXED LINKS!!!!! - 18 Apr 2007 - NOW WITH FULLLY MODDABLE MAP TEXTURES! Modders, further customise your soldat!

Offline Snowden

• Major
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 02:29:13 am »
Yes, let's just ignore and 'deal with' all the poor software design that plagues this game. That is an excellent mentality for this forum.

Offline EnEsCe

• Flamebow Warrior
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 02:53:46 am »
Its not poor game design, its to protect the game from spammers. gg

the rest of your post sounds good to me.

Offline Snowden

• Major
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 03:05:27 am »
Protecting the game from spammers on the server end when you can nip it in the bud on the client end = poor software design. Instead of having the server clean up after the floods of commands coming from the client, make it so the client can't send floods of commands to begin with. (Of course, protective measures should be left in on the server end in the case of cheaters altering the client.)

Offline Lapis Lazuli

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • One Hand Clapping
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 03:56:33 am »
Protective measures in the client can be removed, durr.

Stop being a retard and you won't be treated like one.

Offline EnEsCe

• Flamebow Warrior
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 03:57:01 am »
Go annoy some random on the Ubisoft/EA forum.

Offline Lapis Lazuli

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • One Hand Clapping
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 04:07:12 am »
Now that I think of it, really, if you don't have any problem with the protection being in the client, why even complain?

It sounds to me like you're looking for a reason to bitch about nothing in particular and chose one periodic moment where you discovered the new flood protection and got yourself kicked/banned.

From here on, why don't you consider your actions and your fellow players, show a bit more courtesy, and choose more meaningful things to bitch about. Also, don't contradict your own arguements, its generally not a real intelligent thing to do.

"I hate that the server kicked me why don't you put the protection in the client so we can't flood to begin with."

Why don't you just *NOT* flood the server to begin with so Soldat doesn't have to become bloated with protective measures. We wouldn't need cheat detection if people could stop being idiots for five minutes and decide, hey, the game is more fun and fulfilling when I actually try and don't run about, waiting to get banned.

Offline JBL

• Major
  • Map Maker
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 05:21:56 am »
What Lapis Luie said and also why do you even bother to do /victory... It's all a waste of time...  :-\

Offline ElephantHunter

• Retired Administrator
  • Camper
  • Third President
    • - home of the admins -
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 06:28:26 am »
Lapis and EnEsCe, I suggest that you take Snowden's suggestion seriously. Stop personally attacking him for a bug in the game. Lapis, this goes especially for you since you are a moderator and hence a representative of our forums.

Snowden's bug report is simple and does not require any radical changes to Soldat. Quite simply put, he's right. The client needs to prevent people from flooding the server with these commands so that innocent players do not get flood kicked.

Bringing up big-time gaming companies does not prove anything. Snowden is not asking for improvements. He is pointing out bugs. That's the purpose of this forum.

I'll take the liberty of deleting any more spam posted here.
Everything you have done in life is measured by the DASH on your gravestone.
Stop wasting time.
Make your dash count.

Offline Lapis Lazuli

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • One Hand Clapping
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 11:42:53 am »
I took his submission with a grain of salt due to how recent the flood-kick control is. It was implement to prevent console spam and that is exactly what its done here - there isn't necessarily a bug, he's still entering commands even while his first "/victory" pose is underway.

I don't know what kind of player Snowden is, but I imagine he is one of those who started Soldat, joined a server with flood protection enabled (it is an option, if I recall), spammed /victory (it could have been any command), and got banned. I've seen several users pop onto a server and get themselves banned for spamming. It's a new feature and users are discovering that its doing it's job as intended.

If your commands are being sent to the server too quickly with just one keypress then you ought to increase your keyboard's key repeat delay. You can access the tools to change this under Control Panel -> Keyboard.

The command was added to the server software because it IS something that can be disabled or removed from the client. It was also put there because it was suggested on the previous forums and releasing a new client for one minor feature is rather poor form. In the future yes, a combination of client and server control would be nice, but the best solution for us all is simply not to spam in the first place.

I admit that I was rude, and I do apologize. But yes, if I ran a server constantly, had to pay for bandwidth or a metered connection (as some do), I'd want you to worry about being banned for spamming commands.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 10:18:34 pm by Lapis Lazuli »

Offline Snowden

• Major
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2006, 03:22:55 pm »
Lapiz you seem to assume I am doing this on purpose. As I already said, this happens to me in the natural course of celebrating my kills. I didn't know that pressing alt+4 for a fraction of a second was sending floods of commands until you guys told me. Maybe I'm retarded because I hold my keys too long. But the client being capable of sending commands at a rate of 20 per second when the original command hasn't even finished executing is also retarded.

You seem to think that I am demanding for this to be fixed immediately and a new client be released soley for this cause. I never suggested this in any of my posts. I am putting forth a simple suggestion for the next version Soldat, as can be assumed with any of the posts in this forum. Thank you Elephant Hunter.

Offline Lapis Lazuli

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • One Hand Clapping
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2006, 10:17:41 pm »
If your commands are being sent to the server too quickly with just one keypress then you ought to increase your keyboard's key repeat delay. You can access the tools to change this under Control Panel -> Keyboard.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2006, 10:28:16 pm »
why should ppl like snowden have to be limited to how long they can hold down a taunt command if MM could simply write a small bit of code stating that a computer will not send any taunt move like the /secret command or /piss until the previous one is over...
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Lapis Lazuli

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • One Hand Clapping
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2006, 10:40:49 pm »
Thats kind of what the server control does now, only it bans you for spamming the command repeatedly.

It would be hard for the server to know when your client has finished pissing or pelvic thrusting or what have you.

This is why it was suggested that there be a delay within the client as well, however, as I've stated twice now, you can increase the delay upon your keyboard. It is at least a temporary fix. A more permanent one would be not to hold down taunt keys at all.

Wait for the next version of the Soldat client to be released.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 02:06:13 pm by Lapis Lazuli »

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 11:39:47 am »
why should ppl like snowden have to be limited to how long they can hold down a taunt command if MM could simply write a small bit of code stating that a computer will not send any taunt move like the /secret command or /piss until the previous one is over...

it isn't just Soldat that would treat things this way.  The keyboard repeat rate is a system-wide setting from your keyboard preferences, as mentioned earlier

Elephant Hunter's post on the next page indicates that I know nothing about DX and I should keep my mouth shut ;)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 07:08:58 am by FliesLikeABrick »

Offline ElephantHunter

• Retired Administrator
  • Camper
  • Third President
    • - home of the admins -
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 06:25:58 am »
I guess somebody slipped. Lapis, you need to check your PM inbox.

Soldat uses DirectInput, which does not utilize the OS settings for keyboard repeat.
Everything you have done in life is measured by the DASH on your gravestone.
Stop wasting time.
Make your dash count.