Poll

Do you like this idea?

yes
no

Author Topic: Animated GIFs  (Read 15175 times)

Offline Selknam

• Major
  • Chile!!!!
Animated GIFs
« on: June 15, 2006, 07:04:49 pm »
Again, i dont speak english, so be pattient.

I really like the style of soldat, the way that looks because is very simple. So this idea does not mean change that, it just mean add somethings at the game that could make it more intresting to see.
For example: The flag could be an animated gif, it could have a little move made by the wind (I dont know the word that in spanish is "Flamear", wich is the tipical move that make a flag in the wind)
Or a tree could be afeccted by an explotion near.
What if the soldiers were made on gif format. Imagine them doing the /pwn XD

May could be intresting.... the idea is not change a lot of things, most of all is add some simple things into the maps, things wich does not make any interference with the game, but that can mean a simple evolution in his graphics.

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
Re: Animated Gif archives
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 07:17:50 pm »
This would bring more realism to the game, but we're alright with what we've got.  Although, I do want to see .gif support.

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline GNU

• Major
    • Australian Soldat Community
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 07:27:25 pm »
Would it cause lag?
I don't know anything about that sort of stuff but I know I hate lag.

Offline Selknam

• Major
  • Chile!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 07:29:52 pm »
This would bring more realism to the game, but we're alright with what we've got. Although, I do want to see .gif support.

it could bring even less realism... an more fun
Do you remember ctf_dragonwar? What if instead of statics dragons in each base they have mouth that could open and close, or even less, just have eyes that look at you, or teeths bleedings. Gif support could be make a lot more intresting the maps, withoth altered (change) the stile of soldat or the way that it is been played.

and about the lag, it should not be a problem, becuase they are archives that are located in ours pcs, and souldnt modificated the packages between us and the server.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 07:37:09 pm by Selknam »

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 07:31:59 pm »
Would it cause lag?
I don't know anything about that sort of stuff but I know I hate lag.

it wouldn't cause internet lag - the only lag can come only from your computer.  The server doesn't send the animation graphics live to the player - every player's computer does that itself...
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline GNU

• Major
    • Australian Soldat Community
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 07:36:23 pm »
Awesome, I'm all for the idea then.

Offline Selknam

• Major
  • Chile!!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 07:40:54 pm »
what if interfaces were animated... how it looks if, when you take damage, the icon in the side of your health bar make a response of it... someone could make a face of a soldier that shows pain when you take damage...

things like those could be intresting, and wouldnt change the game at the way it is play now.

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 08:39:40 pm »
A gif for the flag would make it simpler. I believe you're asking for more physics. The game's objects, such as flags, players, guns, and crates, all have skeletons, which twist and turn the objects they belong to. If that skeleton system was replaced by gifs, the game would look horrible. Plus, Michal (the creator of Soldat) said that he can't get GIFs into the game, due to legal issues.

Sorry to rain on your parade dude  :-\
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 08:53:30 pm »
Its too hard to implement GIF into DirectX afaik, thats why its not there.

Offline Mancer

• Camper
  • Legacy of Poontage
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 09:10:46 pm »
he can't get GIFs into the game, due to legal issues.

What? Like someones going to threaten to sue MM for putting in .gifs.
I have a Mac so I can't play with you guys no more :(
(psst MM make a Mac version)

Offline edak

• Flagrunner
  • AussiEdak
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 09:17:10 pm »
use animated bitmap-maps.

UPDATED 12-Aug-2010 FIXED LINKS!!!!! - 18 Apr 2007 - NOW WITH FULLLY MODDABLE MAP TEXTURES! Modders, further customise your soldat!

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 10:06:41 pm »
use animated bitmap-maps.

You can't.

Unless you were being sarcastic?

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 10:12:13 pm »
on a kind of similar not, wouldnt this make interactive scenery possible? like exploding barrels, or the trees get mutilated by bullets? maybe not...im not sure about all this
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline Stalky

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 02:54:41 am »
it wouldn't cause internet lag - the only lag can come only from your computer.  The server doesn't send the animation graphics live to the player - every player's computer does that itself...

Correct, the .gifs could cause your FPS to drop if you have a piss poor computer. However, if the .gif animations were based on the server (so the animations are synchronised) they could potentially cause internet lag. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be synchronised though, so it's no worry.

Plus, Michal (the creator of Soldat) said that he can't get GIFs into the game, due to legal issues.

This used to be true, because .gif had some sort of copyright thing. But, last I heard, it expired and the .gif format is free to use by everyone now, so Michal wouldn't have any problem legally implementing support. I may be mistaken though.

Offline PapaSurf

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 05:48:20 am »
This has been brought up before, and I support it.  Mostly.  I think animated sceneries are a good idea, and seeing as how animated explosions work in game, it does seem to be in the realm of possibility.  Flags waving in the wind and stuff would be cool, especially if it reacted to elements in game, such as gun fire and explosions.

However, I don't like the idea of making soldiers into aniamted gifs.  I think the current ragdoll system is mouch more advanced, allowing for severed limbs and realistic (yeah...) physics-based deaths.  Making the animations into gifs would make the game look stiff.  It's like if CS:Source went back to the set death animations of 1.6 instead of modern ragdoll techniques.
Check out my new shamelessly self promoted mod HERE

Offline Fraggy

• Soldier
  • Mecha 0_o
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 07:19:43 am »
this is one of the best idea's i've seen in a while!

moving tree's, OMG how cool!
breathing soldat figures!
birdies flying around!
twinkling stars!
OMG OMG OMG ^^

Offline m00`

• Soldier
  • hai guys
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 07:33:29 am »
I would much rather .gif support for interfaces
cool

Offline zaraza

• Soldier
  • *Axeminster!*
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 07:41:20 am »
I fear that mapmakers would overuse this but it is very good idea (old though)

I'd love to see fire :)

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Ability to use animated gifs as sceneries.
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 10:59:48 am »
I think it would be absolutely awesome if it were possible to use animated gifs as sceneries.

So maybe a pool of lava could be animated so it would look as if the lava were flowing.
There are other worlds than these

Offline JBL

• Major
  • Map Maker
Re: Ability to use animated gifs as sceneries.
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 11:14:00 am »
Well.... It sounds cool, but will ruin the gameplay I think.