Poll

Do you like this idea?

yes
no

Author Topic: Animated GIFs  (Read 15158 times)

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
Re: Ability to use animated gifs as sceneries.
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 11:22:18 am »
^How will it ruin the gameplay?  That makes no freakin' sense whatsoever.

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline shoes

• Major(1)
  • C'est un vrai français
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 11:49:51 am »
I'd like a "animated backgrounds" checkbox in the config file right next to the "fullscreen" box
C'est un vrai français

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 12:08:43 pm »
Can you imagine how many people would put generic website .gifs on their maps? No thank you.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline ramirez

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Camper
    • Soldat Central
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2006, 12:42:15 pm »
Can you imagine how many people would put generic website .gifs on their maps? No thank you.
That's just misuse of them though, nobody would force you to use or play the maps yourself.
Animated scenery could contribute a lot for making more interesting looking maps. But in the other hand overuse of them would most likely be bad.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2006, 12:45:59 pm »
That's just misuse of them though, nobody would force you to use or play the maps yourself.
Animated scenery could contribute a lot for making more interesting looking maps. But in the other hand overuse of them would most likely be bad.

yeah and all the good servers play with the default maps which won't have anything bad on them...
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
Re: Animated Gif archives
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2006, 06:59:21 pm »
.gif for interface and sceneries

for everything else we already have animations so why redo them in a .gif?
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

silver

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2006, 01:24:36 pm »
Would it cause lag?
I don't know anything about that sort of stuff but I know I hate lag.

No. When you download the .gif in the maps folder and the scenery (flags) will move and move, like 3-4frames, it wouldnt create lag, if the .gifs were on the whole map with more frames still no.

On other way, if the soldier animations were .gif then it would create lag when all in the same time /pwn or /piss...

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2006, 01:37:12 pm »
this is one of the best idea's i've seen in a while!

moving tree's, OMG how cool!
breathing soldat figures!
birdies flying around!
twinkling stars!
OMG OMG OMG ^^

lol. its making me hyperventilate! that would be cool, i geuss i dint really understand what people meant, but i get it now.....you could have like trees get bent over a little from grenade explosions!
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline DrivenUnder

• Major
  • Im Jess
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2006, 01:39:43 pm »
Well, I dont think it would. Soldat, with all its pixelated goodness, wont look so pretty with a moving tree in the back. Also, the characters are too small to really see any breathing.
Image removed, please read the forum rules.

Offline Selknam

• Major
  • Chile!!!!
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2006, 01:42:31 pm »
this is one of the best idea's i've seen in a while!

moving tree's, OMG how cool!
birdies flying around!
twinkling stars!
OMG OMG OMG ^^

lol. its making me hyperventilate! that would be cool, i geuss i dint really understand what people meant, but i get it now.....you could have like trees get bent over a little from grenade explosions!
you could have a waving flag.
The enemy base could be a monster make with usual pollygons but at the same time have bleeding teeths, or moving eyes wich look at you. Imagine the bottom of an actual map... usually their are just blu or other similar color, imagine that de bottom were a sunshine that actually rise, or something similar, giving more and less color to a map, making it day and night.

Offline vulbastick

• Soldier
  • Lasers From Atlantis
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2006, 05:33:08 pm »
I want to see this!

kinda links with the "more spawn frames" topic

.gifs would be great

Offline Mr. Jenkins

• Soldier
  • AKA "Oneburt"
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2006, 08:48:25 pm »
Are you kiddin? With animated stuff going around everywhere, the server won't take it! Are you people not aware of the lag that plagues all games already?!

This is a horrible idea! You wouldn't be able to play animated maps online at all!!

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2006, 10:11:48 pm »
Are you kiddin? With animated stuff going around everywhere, the server won't take it! Are you people not aware of the lag that plagues all games already?!

This is a horrible idea! You wouldn't be able to play animated maps online at all!!

I'm sure alot of 2D multiplayer games have animated gfx and still runs fine...

We could probably have a .gif limit when making maps lol.

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline J-Factor

• Major(1)
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2006, 11:48:57 pm »

The server wouldn't even be involved. All of the .gifs would be stored and rendered client-side. The only lag you might experience would be local to your own computer.

As such, I'm all for it.

Offline Stalky

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
Re: Animated GIFs
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2006, 03:40:42 am »
Topics 'Ability to use animated gifs as sceneries' and 'Animated GIF Archives' merged together.

Sorry if it's turned out a bit messy, I've not done this before. Heehee.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 03:43:03 am by Stalky »

silver

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2006, 08:12:06 am »
MapName: Crazy_Forrest
Type: Deathmatch

You go throw in the tree a nade and you see that the tree "matrix style" dodges the bullet...lol, lmao! Thats possible with gif...

Code: [Select]
If nade.gif = x,y range of the tree then tree.gif play treedodge.gif

Its possible :P

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2006, 11:33:10 am »
Well.... It sounds cool, but will ruin the gameplay I think.

I don't think so.  I'm sure MM's maps (default maps) won't have such crazily big .gif animations running in the background because THAT would ruin the gameplay.  MM is all about keeping it fun - I'm sure he'll know exactly how to deal with .gif files as to not ruin the gameplay
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Sotija

• Veteran
  • Sotija
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2006, 11:39:09 am »
It will be awesome!

Offline Selknam

• Major
  • Chile!!!!
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2006, 05:32:59 pm »
im totally agree that if something like this is make

it should be incorporat step by step, taken care, most of all, keeping soldat fun and dont change their style, just add some subtle (that the word???) things and see how it works.
And about the maps afraids, well i think that it shouldnt happens, cuz MM put his owns favorites maps on the game, wich came default with him, and the most part of servers use just that maps. So the maps would be in the same line than now, cuz their or judge by the same person. (and maked in the most part of the cases)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 05:36:31 pm by Selknam »

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2006, 08:09:47 pm »
Look closely at your soldaten.

birdies flying around!
I don't want 5000x96 gif files clogging my computer.

twinkling stars!
That would look awful.

OMG OMG OMG ^^
i kno rite

he can't get GIFs into the game, due to legal issues.

What? Like someones going to threaten to sue MM for putting in .gifs.
The dudes that made gifs need you to sign forms and starf for them to be usable.

My solution to all of this: Bring in the MNG files! The majority of our population doesn't know how to use MNGs, so it would be unlikely to come across a stupid MNG in a map. Plus, they have an alpha layer *hint* flickering SK lights.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day