Author Topic: Bot keeps jumping  (Read 2021 times)

Offline aleksanteri

• Major(1)
Bot keeps jumping
« on: November 22, 2006, 12:19:31 pm »
I have a CTF map what I have halfway waypointed (red team should get to blue). But the thing is that the bot doesn't either move more than 2 waypoints or none at all before it starts using it's jetpack. Once the jetpack is empty it comes down and starts jumping! just if it was trying to stay in the roof! O_o

There is clearly just "move left" on, everything is fine but i don't know why the bot just keeps jumping.

Any help?

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
Re: Bot keeps jumping
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 02:12:25 pm »
Odd. Can I get a small screenshot of the section in question (with waypoints)?; I'm not quite sure I understand the layout of the terrain you're working with.

If a bot keeps jumping, that indicates that it missed the initial "jump" waypoint. Put down guards around the target waypoint in case it misses like that (which can result just from combat, collecting disruptive power-ups, or even just random behavior—bots don't obey perfectly every time, which I think MM purposely coded so they would have variation in movement).

This pic. probably does not detail the exact sector in mind, but shows the functional use of guards:

Note how the jump waypoint is not directly above the run-left, at the bottom. Go ahead and try in-game yourself; if you jump vertically as SOON as you stop running, the soldat still continues to drift forward a bit.

Guards become of exceptional use if you're getting bots to fly over long distances, where their paths become more and more unpredictable :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 02:14:14 pm by Keron Cyst »

Offline aleksanteri

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 02:28:33 pm »
Well I quess this case is kind a tricky tho... see attachment.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 04:37:04 pm »
Hm. Can I get an actual screenshot of that section of the map? If the hallway is really that narrow (I'm judging from the size of your wypt. boxes as compared to the walls you drew), there should be literally 0%-chance that a bot would miss the jump wypt. Perhaps the wypts. it's connected to are missing actions to perform, so the bot just continues to jump.

Offline Doc

• Soldier
    • Soldat Files Directory
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 04:57:08 pm »
From the last pic you uploaded there is a slight problem.

What you have is the start waypoint conect to the next way point that says up, that means from teh start way point the bot will try going up intead of going to the next way point.

Remember that bots will do what ever the next way point of their current way point.

here is a pic:

So thats how it is the bot when it hits any kind of way point it will then do what ever the next way point says in teh chain.

Offline -{Phoenix}-

• Major
  • /<**
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 04:25:45 pm »
Just put it as "Jetpack" on the setting, not "Jump" and "jetpack"...

or get your map waypointed by a pro.

some it up: waypoint is wrong.
FEAR - fear is not to be feared - fear is edge - fear keeps you on your toes - fear keeps one eye open when you sleep - fear adds caution to courage - conquer fear and fear is not your foe, its your friend.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 07:20:02 pm »
There was no need to resurrect this thread (please see the dates of the posts). If aleksanteri was still having problems, he would say so.