Author Topic: Soldat on Linux & OS X Systems  (Read 346506 times)

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
Re: Soldat on Linux Systems
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2007, 08:28:47 am »
Now
ive read all this and it came to my conclusion that soldat only works on Wine 0.9,yes?
I would love to participate in this event. Shall I see some other wine version such as 0.9 26? or 0.9 25 and see if it works?

Uh...no...the thing is, the polygon bug only appeared at Wine 0.9. From there to 0.9.17 the bug wasn't fixed, and 0.9.18 had Soldat startup issues. So pretty much, you should use a Wine 0.9.19+ version.
Soldat on Linux: It does work! Need help?

Offline ds dude

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • Lolicon Forever.
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2007, 07:06:09 pm »
Ok, I used 0.9 22 wine. And my results were I was having a direct 3d problem  :-\
This is kinda unusual isn't it? I'll try 0.9 23 and see what I find.
This signature was borked. Now it is not.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2007, 09:42:11 pm »
Ok, I used 0.9 22 wine. And my results were I was having a direct 3d problem  :-\
This is kinda unusual isn't it? I'll try 0.9 23 and see what I find.

do you know if you have the proper drivers installed in linux for your card such that you have opengl 3d acceleration?  I believe this is a requirement for having wine work for d3d apps

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2007, 10:02:53 pm »
Also, WINE is at 0.9.29 right now, why don't you try using a more recent version?  ;)

Offline Zerosystem

• Major(1)
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2007, 01:39:15 am »
Repost from WineHQ AppDB:

Since I found out that Soldat can only run at 640x480, I decided to find a way to automate changing screen resolutions, so I could bypass going through menus and and then clicking on "keep resolution" each time. After googling, I found out that I could automate it by a script. Since I'm a Linux noob (I've only had Ubuntu for less than a month), I'm not entirely sure if it'll work for other people, but at least you could tell what to do and reimplement it.

(BTW, I'm running Ubuntu Dapper, with Wine 0.9.29)

1. Right click on desktop > create document > empty file

2. Open it with a text editor, and paste this in:
   (don't include the dotted lines before and after the text)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

#!/bin/sh

#First change the resolution to fit Soldat (do not change line):
xrandr -s 640x480

#Then start the program (change this line):
wine "/path/to/soldat/folder/soldat.exe"

#Wait until after the program exits to finish the script:
wait

#After the program exits it should fire off this code to reset
#your screen resolution (change the resolution if you need to):
xrandr -s 1280x1024

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The path to "soldat.exe" (since one of the folders on the path had a space in it, I had to put quotes around the path) should be changed accordingly, and you might want to change the last screen resolution too, if you don't usually use a resolution of 1280x1024.

3. Save the file with a easy, simple to remember filename ending in ".sh" (I named mine 'soldat.sh" and you might want to as well, you'll know why)

4. Move the file to your "Home" folder - Usually "/home/*username*"

Now you're finished! If you want to run Soldat now, just open up your terminal, and run "sh soldat.sh" (or whatever you named your script file earlier). Your screen resolution should change to 640x480, and start Soldat. After you exit Soldat, the resolution should automatically set to whatever you set it as in the script file.

I also recommend you change wine's settings (winecfg)  by going to the graphics tab and unchecking the box labelled 'emulate a virtual desktop', as the window is kinda messed things for me.

Edit: BTW, the reason I came up for this was because for some reason when I normally run soldat fullscreen, I can't use the keyboard. Might just be the mod I'm using, but YMMV.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 01:50:09 am by Zerosystem »

Offline Frenchie

• Camper
  • SoldatHQ
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2007, 09:25:09 am »
Great post Zerosystem,
Each time I ran Soldat it would maximise it but once I quit it did not change the resolution back, but I'll try it with this script.

Hope you can stay active on this topic.  :)
Soldat Lobby Avec Players -New Release! - Updated AGAIN!

Offline Morik

• Major
« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2007, 12:27:13 am »
Im still having the freezing at main menu problem. It loads soldat fine until the main menu, and when i click something it freezes up. You cannot forcekill, and it keeps the splashscreen on...even on different workspaces.

Also, a whole post with all the fixes or a tutorial or something would be nice. I didn't quite clearly understand how to fix the keyboard not working problem.

All you guys who are supporting this, thanks ;>
::::
www.u13.net
www.fracturedsoldat.com
www.ubuntu.com
Proud Admin of Fractured Network, competitive North American soldat community.

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2007, 10:33:49 pm »
Morik, check out the Wine App Database entry for Soldat. Has a HOW-TO and some tips and stuff!

Date Posted: January 29, 2007, 09:35:53 PM
BTW Guys, the Wine AppDB apparently has a new voting feature. If any of you have accounts, you get 3 slots to vote for your favorite apps. If you could, go to the Soldat 1.3.1 (link in my last post) and add Soldat in one of your slots! The system seems to be new as the numbe r1 app has 21 votes, with the rest following at ~5 votes. So if 3-4 people here vote for Soldat, we can get it into the top 10 for now... ;D

Offline Frenchie

• Camper
  • SoldatHQ
« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2007, 03:43:37 am »
If you could, go to the Soldat 1.3.1 (link in my last post) and add Soldat in one of your slots! The system seems to be new as the numbe r1 app has 21 votes, with the rest following at ~5 votes. So if 3-4 people here vote for Soldat, we can get it into the top 10 for now... ;D
Just voted for Soldat. Yay it's coming 15, its got 2 votes along with 10 other applications.
Hope more people will vote for it.  :D

Offline skoruppa

• Major(1)
« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2007, 03:57:58 am »
ok i creat a little installer of soldat for linux... i addet a font fix, resolution fix and keybord fix (i ont really know that keybord fix works but it works on my ubuntu).

http://rapidshare.com/files/14300599/soldat.sh.html

pls test :]

Offline Frenchie

• Camper
  • SoldatHQ
« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2007, 04:14:43 am »
Tried the installer for Linux and it is quite good.
But a few changes to it would make it much better.
- Not much of a biggy but the default language should be set to english, I got confused browing around in polish :)

- The in-game text should be changed to something else (maybe FreeSans.ttf) , as text is not quite perfect (added pic to show)

- When I quit soldat the resolution stuck on 600 x 800 (didn't go back to 1024 x 768)

- Maybe create a desktop icon to start soldat?

- And the first problem with most users of wine, is that the sound driver has to be changed to ALSA for it to work. Maybe the installer could this automatically?

If these changes were added, it would make this script very desirable for any user.  :)

-Added a pic of install and in-game
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 04:16:29 am by Frenchie »

Offline skoruppa

• Major(1)
« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2007, 08:11:49 am »
Frenchie:
1. ok i forget to change to polish ;)
2. Ok i can chang font to freesans but when i did this i have gibberish text
3. hmm working on my but if you have problem i can change binaru to this from Zerosystem
4. I dont know how installer from loki can do desktop icon
5. Argh it can be doed but i must cret a .wine directory in installer and creat wineprefix (installer cant change this :/)

ow na question: font better loking when its freesans or when you creat a fix in regedit?

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2007, 12:44:16 pm »
I think, if you can find good fonts, the font replacing works WAY better than the regedit fix...

This is pretty cool. Maybe Soldat will come with a Linux installation script in a future release! ;D

Offline skoruppa

• Major(1)
« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2007, 05:08:52 pm »
Frenchie and Stealth: pls send to my your soldat.ini files and font files from linux (that soldat.ini and font that you are working before you install from my instalator)

skoruppa@gmail.com

Date Posted: February 02, 2007, 03:01:35 PM
ok little update :]
i dont change binary because if i do this, user must after installation manual edit binary to change resolution :P
Download
http://rapidshare.com/files/14616684/soldat.sh.html

Offline Morik

• Major
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2007, 06:35:57 pm »
skoruppa, I love you. This works beautifully.

Now I just have jittery music, and the custom colors and profile manager doesnt work and makes soldat crash for me.

and the keyboard fix worked for me as well.
www.u13.net
www.fracturedsoldat.com
www.ubuntu.com

Offline skoruppa

• Major(1)
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2007, 06:39:17 pm »
Morik: sorry i dont know why profile manager crash for you :(

but im happy :D you like my installator xD

Offline Morik

• Major
« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2007, 02:31:02 am »
Yea its great, I love it.

Now I have to do come crits on soldat on linux. You can't improve without crits. :D

1) The sound is all messed up and jittery, at least with me
2) soldat freezes whenever i click on the inside of the profile manager, and when i choose custom colors in the area where you change your look.
3) Mouse is not as responsive as it should be. Sometimes I click and my guy does not shoot.
4) Improve the font maybe

Other than that, soldat runs great with that installer.
www.u13.net
www.fracturedsoldat.com
www.ubuntu.com

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2007, 02:37:39 am »
Morik, check out the Wine App Database entry for Soldat. Has a HOW-TO and some tips and stuff!

Date Posted: January 29, 2007, 09:35:53 PM
BTW Guys, the Wine AppDB apparently has a new voting feature. If any of you have accounts, you get 3 slots to vote for your favorite apps. If you could, go to the Soldat 1.3.1 (link in my last post) and add Soldat in one of your slots! The system seems to be new as the numbe r1 app has 21 votes, with the rest following at ~5 votes. So if 3-4 people here vote for Soldat, we can get it into the top 10 for now... ;D

I'm having a hard time finding where to do this, mind pointing my dumb ass in the right direction?

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2007, 02:47:44 am »

Just select the first check box thing, and click Vote for App

Offline skoruppa

• Major(1)
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2007, 03:14:05 am »
Morik: owbut i can change this problems for you ;P i dont have this ptoblems. You must i winecfg change sound and other thinks... and did you have newest version ow wine?