Author Topic: Soldat on Linux & OS X Systems  (Read 345236 times)

Offline big_jim

• Major(1)
Re: Soldat on Linux Systems
« Reply #220 on: August 01, 2007, 07:45:16 am »
Hi

First of all i love this game, its just pure fun  ;D

But unfortunately i can't play this game.
to start i ll give you my specs:
i am running xubuntu 7.04 on an thinkpad x31 i use the latest wine version (0.9.42) and installed soldat 1.4.1 with the battleeye patch.

However the installation went flawlessly everything worked i can conifg soldat via the Conifg.exe and i also configured soldat in my winecfg according to the winehq soldat 1.4.1 entry (which by the way has platinum status!!).

After this i started the game but i had no luck. I can start the game and accept the licence's or whatever agreement...
 After this the log-in screen splashes and soldat freezes and i get this error messag control is not unicode. I don't even know what this means

Then i tried to run soldat in an virtual desktop which worked better i was able to start a game.  But when i the weapon chose dialog starts up soldat freezes once again and i get this error message: Access violation at address 00401CEA in module 'Soldat.exe'. Write of address 5046202D and once again i have no clue what this means;

i have already posted this prob in the ubuntuforums

i if you guys/girls can help me this would be great and again thanks for this wonderful game

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #221 on: August 01, 2007, 10:37:45 pm »
Interesting report. I'll test it on 0.9.42 tomorrow, (as maintainer, I marked it in Platinum since it worked for me, as you can see if the video, but pay attention to what version I'm using) however, every Access Violation I've ever gotten was due to the ALSA/OSS thing in Winecfg. Should be set to ALSA. Also, I've heard Xubuntu acts differently with WINE than Ubuntu for some odd reason...I think it's somewhere in this thread in fact! o_O I've never seen that Unicode error, I wonder if that's new in 0.9.42...
Soldat on Linux: It does work! Need help?

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #222 on: August 01, 2007, 10:41:33 pm »
This is why people need to stop thinking Linux is so great.
It can't play games worth crap, even with a system Emulator.
Sure it may get less viruses, but that is because no one really uses it.
Maybe it is all open source, because that was the only way it was going to get off the shelves instead of gathering dust and soon shut down...
Just stick with Windows and everything will be fine.
But yeah, try using a Windows Emulator to run Soldat, does that work?

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #223 on: August 01, 2007, 10:44:15 pm »
This is why people need to stop thinking Linux is so great.
It can't play games worth crap, even with a system Emulator.
Sure it may get less viruses, but that is because no one really uses it.
Maybe it is all open source, because that was the only way it was going to get off the shelves instead of gathering dust and soon shut down...
Just stick with Windows and everything will be fine.
But yeah, try using a Windows Emulator to run Soldat, does that work?

Its a fucking windows game dude, none of us expect it to work perfectly on Linux by any means.  Don't come to this thread just to bash the exact thing it is intended for, that is a good way to get yourself another warning.

Games that are made for Linux run a LOT better than on Windows.  Games that WINE developers pay special attention to run a LOT better than on windows, even when they're made for Windows. 

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #224 on: August 01, 2007, 10:46:20 pm »
That last part didn't make since to me really...
Maybe if I read it a few times...
But I see why you may be getting mad, I am just making a point to why people need to stop complaining about it not working on their system, and isn't it possible to take Linux off your computer and get windows on it? I know it is possible to make a Windows Computer run on Linux.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #225 on: August 01, 2007, 10:49:05 pm »
Nobody here is complaining that it isn't working.  They're coming here for help in getting it working, trying to suggest things to help get it working, and helping to improve WINE to get Soldat and other games with related issues working better.

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #226 on: August 01, 2007, 10:51:14 pm »
I see...
But you also didn't answer my question, is it possible to change from Linux to Windows without having to buy a new computer? Because I know you can use your windows computer to run Linux.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #227 on: August 01, 2007, 10:51:55 pm »
why would you ahve to buy a new computer?

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #228 on: August 01, 2007, 10:53:15 pm »
Oops, you have a little typo there.

Just because I never knew what exactly Linux ran on, if it was a whole didn't type of system, or something similar to Windows, or the same with different programming.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #229 on: August 01, 2007, 10:57:13 pm »
same hardware, completely different operating system

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #230 on: August 01, 2007, 11:07:59 pm »
Okay now I get it.
But why can't wine emulate Soldat? That is what doesn't make since to me.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #231 on: August 01, 2007, 11:12:49 pm »
WINE is a compatibility layer for Windows programs to run on Linux.  WINE is very incomplete.  It has support for maybe 25% of the stuff need to run windows programs, if not less.  It is one of the biggest and most popular/important open-source projects currently in existence.  It is constantly gaining support for new things and eventually it will support everything that Windows programs need, if not more.  Right now everything that it supports it does better than Windows. 

WINE is driven by user-demand.  If a lot of people want some program to work, then WINE developers will spend a lot of time working on making that program have everything it needs in WINE.  For example, World of Warcraft works 100% in WINE.  I know a handful of people who play it only on Linux and it works absolutely perfectly.  They said that it works better on Linux than it does on Windows.  This is because a LOT of people wanted it to work in WINE, so the developers did that.

Soldat has a smaller community with smaller demand, so the progress of Soldat on WINE is slower. 

I hope that explanation helps you a bit

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #232 on: August 01, 2007, 11:15:28 pm »
Okay I get it now.
How can we get WINE to focus a bit more on Soldat? Is there a way? Or do people who play Soldat have to do it?

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #233 on: August 01, 2007, 11:16:42 pm »
Register on http://winehq.com and vote for it via the means mentioned elsewhere in this thread

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #234 on: August 02, 2007, 06:41:55 am »
Xxypher, did you even SEE the video I put up in my post (previous page) of Soldat working flawlessly in Linux? Soldat works, but some people, due to the wide variety of hardware, settings, and program versions, may not have the same luck (just like in Windows, where some games seem to work way better for other cards, etc.).
Soldat on Linux: It does work! Need help?

Offline big_jim

• Major(1)
« Reply #235 on: August 04, 2007, 11:52:48 am »
Hi,

i have solved the acces violation problem. Thanks to your great faq i found some tweaks for my soldat config and the game runs now flawlessly.

But i have still got some issues.

1. The error: controll is not unicode still keeps flushing if i start the game.

2. I can't change the resolution for soldat. If i change the resolution in the Config.exe and start the Config.exe again my changed resolution will be back at 640x480.

3. My X-Server won't change back to default if i close soldat. Whenever i close soldat i got this nasty 640x480 resolution. And i have to restart x to get back to my default ones.

thanks for the fast replies
and once again great thanks for this awesome game

Offline NK Soldier

• Major(1)
  • All Hail the president of Iran!
« Reply #236 on: August 04, 2007, 12:15:27 pm »
Linux is a remarkable OS. It will be really exciting once Wine with be completed for all games.. if not more.

Big_jim turn Capability on, in your Soldat config.
Remember, its all fun and games 'till someone gets hurt.. then its hilarious.

Offline big_jim

• Major(1)
« Reply #237 on: August 04, 2007, 12:21:56 pm »
Hey Achmadin ;-)

video capablitiy is turned on but thanks for the quick reply.
any other hints?

Offline NK Soldier

• Major(1)
  • All Hail the president of Iran!
« Reply #238 on: August 04, 2007, 12:38:24 pm »
Well, it seems it can't find the right character keys. Turn on Force Software.
Remember, its all fun and games 'till someone gets hurt.. then its hilarious.

Offline wumpus

• Major(1)
« Reply #239 on: August 04, 2007, 02:26:20 pm »
big_jim:
*resolution changing requires registered version of soldat
*I had the unicode warning too. see below how I fixed it.
*To get the resolution automatically back to normal, you can write a shell script to run soldat and after that to change res back to normal. somewhere earlier in this topic is full source for this script.

About those problems in general: ubuntu autoupdate gave me wine version of 0.9.41 and I started to have problems with some things (unicode text, alt-tabbing automatically) and had to uninstall wine and install previous version (0.9.40) again (downloadable from winehq). So it might be same issue in .42 too. I dont use other programs with wine so I dont mind having older version.