Author Topic: Soldat on Linux & OS X Systems  (Read 345375 times)

Offline big_jim

• Major(1)
Re: Soldat on Linux Systems
« Reply #240 on: August 05, 2007, 05:25:42 am »
hey,

1. the resoltution: sorry for posting this; i just read the winehq appdb description and found the appropiated falgs : wine Soldat.exe&& xrandr -s 0
and your resolution will be changed back.

2. to the unicode porblem: yesterday i have installed a fresh kubuntu installation on a friends laptop and she's got the same unicode problem.
And if there is any other option besides donwgrading this would be nice. but i ll give it a try and will report to you guys and of courcse girls.

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #241 on: August 05, 2007, 08:48:12 pm »
New version of WINE definitely has this problem. I remember it now, and it did seem to start around 0.9.40, but I was running a GIT version which seemed to work, so never bothered tracing it since I thought it would be fixed. Looks like I'll have to get on that one of these days...:P Only solution at the moment is downgrading, but you have 2 options for that. Find a deb for your system install, or get the GIT version of WINE, which installs neatly into a wine-git folder in your HOME, and you can manually set what version to compile.
Soldat on Linux: It does work! Need help?

Offline sqweek

• Major(1)
« Reply #242 on: August 11, 2007, 11:49:54 am »
I have the low-fps font problem again in 1.4.2, Video Compatibility/Force Software fail to help. Compiling wine 0.9.43 now (was on 0.9.36).

Date Posted: August 11, 2007, 12:16:51 PM
Nope, didn't help. I'm not having any kind of unicode problems though, which I guess means the ubuntu wine packages are compiled funny.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #243 on: August 11, 2007, 01:17:23 pm »
Or that the unicode problems were fixed between 0.9.36 and 0.9.43

Linux is a remarkable OS. It will be really exciting once Wine with be completed for all games.. if not more.

Big_jim turn Capability on, in your Soldat config.

It'll be even more awesome as more game makers make games that work on Linux right from the start ;)

Offline sqweek

• Major(1)
« Reply #244 on: August 11, 2007, 09:09:32 pm »
I understood that the unicode problems were happening only with recent wine versions. Never experienced them, personally, and couldn't trigger them by launching soldat in a non-unicode locale.

Date Posted: August 11, 2007, 02:58:51 PM
I am getting the "automatic alt-tab" thing though, with both 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 using wine 0.9.43. Whenever I double click the left mouse button while holding down the right mouse button soldat minimises...

Date Posted: August 11, 2007, 07:56:06 PM
Played with fonts.ini and chose some bitmap fonts instead of xft or truetype (which are slower to render), problem solved. Well, not quite - there's still some dodgy font rendering, but it doesn't kill my FPS.

Date Posted: August 11, 2007, 08:15:34 PM
Hm, well sort of solved. It doesn't *completly* kill my FPS, depending on the map I can still somewhat play.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #245 on: August 11, 2007, 10:54:23 pm »
Some quick testing of my own with 1.4.2 in wine 0.9.43 using the ubuntu package from the winehq repository:
- Sound/the background music works
- The lobby works
- Mouse input in-game does not
- My framerate sucks, but I'm guessing there are more things I can do to improve that.  Turning on video compatibility doubled or tripled the framerate, but it still was unplayable.

sqweek:  what exactly did you change in the font config to make your framerate that much better?  I have a feeling drawing the text is my performance killer, or something having to do with it

Offline sqweek

• Major(1)
« Reply #246 on: August 12, 2007, 12:09:04 am »
Try changing Font1 and Font2 to fixed.

Offline Coolio

• Camper
  • Well cya all.
« Reply #247 on: August 12, 2007, 12:15:55 am »
Wow so we might get a Soldat Version for Linux?
BANNED

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #248 on: August 12, 2007, 12:21:05 am »
Who said that?  You mean "it might work in WINE" ? 

If you mean the latter, the answer is "yes, and it has been working very well for some people for a while"  Take a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYTRQzlTG6U

Offline Coolio

• Camper
  • Well cya all.
« Reply #249 on: August 12, 2007, 12:43:05 am »
Who said that? You mean "it might work in WINE" ?

If you mean the latter, the answer is "yes, and it has been working very well for some people for a while" Take a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYTRQzlTG6U

Yay lol. I got plans now. Now i have something to do. Im gonna get me some linux.
BANNED

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #250 on: August 12, 2007, 12:50:38 am »
It is a fun project to try and get it working.  Hopefully some day soon it'll work with as little effort as games like Starcraft do (in wine), but right now it takes some tinkering and testing to get it working... but you help out a lot of other people in the process of doing so and sharing what you find out

Offline Coolio

• Camper
  • Well cya all.
« Reply #251 on: August 12, 2007, 01:03:23 am »
It is a fun project to try and get it working. Hopefully some day soon it'll work with as little effort as games like Starcraft do (in wine), but right now it takes some tinkering and testing to get it working... but you help out a lot of other people in the process of doing so and sharing what you find out

Ive been reading about wine and it says you got to use the x86 architecture for a computer on wiki. Can't you just download this on a normal computer? Also does Soldat work easily on linux now?
BANNED

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #252 on: August 12, 2007, 01:07:04 am »
Have you been reading what I was saying?  I'm saying no, it doesn't work easily on Linux yet.  I've been saying that in my past 2-3 posts.

Offline Coolio

• Camper
  • Well cya all.
« Reply #253 on: August 12, 2007, 01:19:55 am »
Have you been reading what I was saying? I'm saying no, it doesn't work easily on Linux yet. I've been saying that in my past 2-3 posts.

O crud. Sorry. :(
BANNED

Offline wumpus

• Major(1)
« Reply #254 on: August 12, 2007, 05:07:06 am »
I am getting the "automatic alt-tab" thing though, with both 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 using wine 0.9.43. Whenever I double click the left mouse button while holding down the right mouse button soldat minimises...
I have this "feature" too. Makes playing impossible. In soldat 141 I downgraded wine to fix this temporarily but it's no longer an option. I have wine .43 and it works like that in .42 too. Any help welcome, thanks.

Played with fonts.ini and chose some bitmap fonts instead of xft or truetype (which are slower to render), problem solved. Well, not quite - there's still some dodgy font rendering, but it doesn't kill my FPS.

It would be nice if someone made a tut how to make fonts look good.

Offline sqweek

• Major(1)
« Reply #255 on: August 13, 2007, 10:52:08 am »
Actually it's still pretty terrible. Works great running around in single player but I often got down to like 8fps playing online tonight. It doesn't _look_ like the fonts I tried to pick are actually being used though... still some more fiddling to do. Worked pretty well once we got down to 2 players, I went around minigunning like a retard and held about 44fps.

Date Posted: August 13, 2007, 10:09:40 AM
Forgot to mention what I did try - upgrading nvidia driver from 1.0-9755 to 100.14.11. All that got me was soldat's GUI failing to redraw more often - I used to always get it when disconnecting from a server, the mouse cursor would reappear as expected, but instead of redrawing the lobby list and the join game button and so on the graphics are stuck on the last frame of the game. The buttons are THERE, if I click in the right spot I can rejoin or if I pull off the precise upper right to lower middle two-click combo I can exit cleanly, but the controls don't redraw until I switch to another virtual terminal and back. Maybe related to the fact I run another X server purely for soldat. Anyway, with the new nvidia driver I get a black screen when soldat starts and nothing gets drawn at all until I switch VT and back :S

Date Posted: August 13, 2007, 11:20:38 AM
Hm, I think the flickering/resizing text is actually caused by low FPS, not the other way around. Playing around with boogie men on xomborg3, with one or two bots the text is fine, as soon as I add a third and my FPS drops below 60 the text starts flickering.
There definately seems to be an inverse correlation between the amount of text on the screen and my FPS (just hit F1 for instant FPS-drop), but I'm starting to wonder whether that's not caused by alpha-blending or some other kind of overlay effect rather than the text itself... Pressing t with a full screen of text in the buffer gives a significant FPS drop aswell...

Offline big_jim

• Major(1)
« Reply #256 on: August 14, 2007, 04:53:29 pm »
hi
my unicode prob was solved by the new wine versione

now 1.4.1 just works like charm

can't write anymore must frag ;-)

Offline Toma

• Major(1)
« Reply #257 on: August 17, 2007, 11:54:49 am »
Hey,
Ive got Ubuntu with nvidias 9631 drivers. Ive got wine 0.9.43 and also tried with 0.9.39, both versions dont run Soldat 1.4.2 very well at all.

Brief explaination can be found here.. http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=18947.0

Offline wumpus

• Major(1)
« Reply #258 on: August 18, 2007, 04:00:01 am »
sqweek posted twice about font-fps issues on page 13, Toma. Changing fonts, like he says, improves fps but I still have drops with F1.

The other problem is the "automatic-alt-tabbing" (posts above). It seems to me that this mouse click sequence causes the exactly same effect as pressing F9 in game. In main menu, neither of these bindings minimize the soldat window. I'm not sure but it could be that F9 didnt work in before wine version and thus neither did that "hold right and double clik left mouse button".

At least for me, 1.4.2 is unplayable for now.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 04:02:47 am by wumpus »

Offline Toma

• Major(1)
« Reply #259 on: August 18, 2007, 04:29:38 am »
At least for me, 1.4.2 is unplayable for now.

Same. I can sorta play, but I am getting the mouse click sequence thing aswell. I changed fonts to sans (looks FUGLY) and it runs and i can see text. But still, at best, Id rate this a Bronze on appdb.winehq.org