Author Topic: Soldat on Linux & OS X Systems  (Read 344887 times)

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
Re: Soldat on Linux Systems
« Reply #260 on: August 18, 2007, 05:17:42 am »
I couldn't get 1.4.2 to run properly. FPS was around 20-30, mouse was updated about 5-10 times per second, and it felt like there was some kind of a delay on it. Sounds weren't working either. :(

Most probably wine update fixes some of those, then tweaking soldat.ini.

E: Now it works ALMOST perfectly! Still can't change the controls via Soldat. :(

After more playing, the "alt+tab"-thing happens to me aswell. Sounds do work, FPS is around 60-80, mouse works.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 09:17:32 pm by Clawbug »
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Toma

• Major(1)
« Reply #261 on: September 03, 2007, 11:20:12 pm »
Has anyone started maintaining any bugs for Soldat on wine? It still utter garbage. Im getting 100% crashes when trying to play Trenchwars, sound is randomly dropping then crashing the game, double click mouse will crash the game (no, not minimise), font rendering is still up poop creek, and its all happened in 1 soldat version release.

Now Im getting banned for the amount of times I rejoin due to constant crashes.
Im terribly disappointed with Soldat right now, especially having paid for it.

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #262 on: September 04, 2007, 07:25:17 am »
I assume you were the one who though Soldat was officially supported on Linux?

The performance bug has been confirmed, hopefully someone is looking into that. As for the crashes, nothing has been said yet but I'd like to do some more testing with that, as it seems to be a sound issue.
Soldat on Linux: It does work! Need help?

Offline Toma

• Major(1)
« Reply #263 on: September 04, 2007, 10:40:37 am »
Yes I am, as it is stated on the website I purchased it from.

Download page -->
"Requirements: Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/Vista or Linux + Wine; DirectX 8.1;"

Seriously, either get rid of the pseudo linux support or get a dedicated contributor on the wine list. I wouldnt have paid for the game if I knew it wasnt really supported, as the website states.

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #264 on: September 04, 2007, 12:53:20 pm »
Dude. Really, you can't blame anyone but yourself for that:

1. Soldat did work very well last few versions. This has only been as bad as it has since 1.4.2

2. Who buys a game without looking at user feedback first?? Especially when you see its Linux+Wine. That should be a clear indication that this is not a native client, nor that it is some optimal solution as WINE is far from complete. If you check the WINE AppDB beforehand, you would of known of these recent issues.

3. Are you aware of what a requirement IS? According to my Supreme Commander box here I need a 1.8Ghz w/ 512MB RAM and XP or Vista with a 56K internet connection required. If I was foolish enough to think my game would work at an feasibly playable frame-rates, it's not the game or company's fault. A requirement means it will install and run. Not play well.

4. Soldat HAS NO Linux support. The COMMUNITY is trying to support SOLDAT under Linux. That's via WINE and all the testers who are helping find the bugs that occur.

Now we're all in the same boat. I too have a registered version of Soldat that I'd like to see work under WINE. Difference is I'm not pondering second-thoughts about my purchase, I'm trying to help out in the AppDB so someone can help. Your reports and logs are very useful, keep helping us help Soldat with that!  :)

Offline Toma

• Major(1)
« Reply #265 on: September 05, 2007, 12:08:16 am »
When I buy a game that states the requirements are Linux + Wine, I assume that someone is testing it and making it work with Wine. So really, I guess the real bug is on the download page. I only purchased it because it was infact fully operational till this last version, which is utter rubbish.

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #266 on: September 05, 2007, 12:22:11 am »
To run under Wine, enabling compatability mode in the options is a must, otherwise it won't run.

Most other problems are the result of Wine bugs, and any criticism should be directed that way.

Offline Yes

• Soldier
  • Yes.
« Reply #267 on: September 12, 2007, 05:18:07 pm »
I have two questions. How do i know if i 've installed Wine on Ubuntu because nothing pops up on my desktop? Also how do I install Soldat? I have the latest version of Wine.
One Love
Yes

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #268 on: September 12, 2007, 05:51:10 pm »
1. To check your wine install just open a terminal and type something like:
Code: [Select]
wine --version
To see what version of WINE you have. If not do a:
sudo apt-get install wine
To install WINE from the repos.

2. Simplest way to install Soldat is -
 a. Download it, extract the zip into your home folder
 b. Run the installer with WINE: "wine soldat142.exe" is probably the command (change soldat142.exe to whatever the installer is called)
 c. Install Soldat like you do in Windows
 d. Run it with this command: WINEDEBUG=-all wine 'C:/Soldat/Soldat.exe'

I should really get around to that HOWTO...:P

Offline Yes

• Soldier
  • Yes.
« Reply #269 on: September 12, 2007, 06:21:38 pm »
1. To check your wine install just open a terminal and type something like:
wine --version
To see what version of WINE you have. If not do a:
sudo apt-get install wine
To install WINE from the repos.

2. Simplest way to install Soldat is -
 a. Download it, extract the zip into your home folder
 b. Run the installer with WINE: "wine soldat142.exe" is probably the command (change soldat142.exe to whatever the installer is called)
 c. Install Soldat like you do in Windows
 d. Run it with this command: WINEDEBUG=-all wine 'C:/Soldat/Soldat.exe'

I should really get around to that HOWTO...:P

Wait i have one more question how do you get to the Soldatsetup like where you choose sound quality, language, etc... Also how would you uninstall it? Also Thanks.
One Love
Yes

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #270 on: September 12, 2007, 06:40:52 pm »
Wait i have one more question how do you get to the Soldatsetup like where you choose sound quality, language, etc... Also how would you uninstall it? Also Thanks.

wine Config.exe

I assume to uninstall, you would run one of the uninstall .exe's with this wine [FILENAME].exe
There are other worlds than these

Offline Yes

• Soldier
  • Yes.
« Reply #271 on: September 12, 2007, 06:51:11 pm »

wine Config.exe

I assume to uninstall, you would run one of the uninstall .exe's with this wine [FILENAME].exe

o Ok thx. I have one more problem when i join a game i can't move the cursor. Its skips around very slowly. Also every one is very slowly moving. Does anybody know whats wrong?
One Love
Yes

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #272 on: September 12, 2007, 08:36:51 pm »
Here's a video of the install:
Soldat_Linux_Install.avi

Offline Yes

• Soldier
  • Yes.
« Reply #273 on: September 12, 2007, 10:50:23 pm »
Here's a video of the install:
Soldat_Linux_Install.avi

Thanks dude but why does my Soldat skip around so much. I can't even click on the team i want because my mouse moves very very slowly and i can't figure it out. It use to do this on Windows too. Is it my video card or is it ubuntu?
One Love
Yes

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #274 on: September 12, 2007, 11:05:23 pm »
Thanks dude but why does my Soldat skip around so much. I can't even click on the team i want because my mouse moves very very slowly and i can't figure it out. It use to do this on Windows too. Is it my video card or is it ubuntu?

It is most definitely not Ubuntu. It's either your video card, Wine bug or some configuration problem.
(you can try changing some of the options to less video card / cpu intensive settings in the soldat setup)
There are other worlds than these

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #275 on: September 13, 2007, 07:36:00 am »
"Yes", seeing as how you mentioned are new in your PM, I assume you haven't enabled your Graphic Card's acceleration yet.  :) If that's not it, make sure you checked compatibility mode in your Soldat Config (wine 'C:\Soldat\Config.exe'), and are using ALSA in your WINE config (winecfg).

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #276 on: September 17, 2007, 02:29:15 am »
New version of WINE, 0.9.45. What kind of experience do people have with this one? I did some basic DM for few minutes, and everything seemed to work flawlessly! Though, with more testing I believe some problems will occur. :P

Edit: 30 minutes of CTF, nothing to complain about! Works flawlessly! ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 03:05:46 am by Clawbug »
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #277 on: September 17, 2007, 09:01:35 pm »
Wow, just updated mine as well. Finally Soldat starts up again, and it's running smoother than I've ever seen it before! A solid 80-100 fps! Sweet!  ;D

Offline Toma

• Major(1)
« Reply #278 on: September 20, 2007, 10:00:43 am »
Works again........ kinda.
INF works fine, but CTF doesnt. I get a 'External Exception 80000004' about 5 seconds into a game of CTF. *sigh*

EDIT: Scratch that. INF stuffs up too. Not sure whats causing it :|
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 10:20:51 am by Toma »

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #279 on: September 20, 2007, 04:09:01 pm »
Seems to work flawlessly for me at least.

WUMPUS! Test it! (and get to IRC some day please! :()
Fight! Win! Prevail!