Author Topic: Soldat on Linux & OS X Systems  (Read 345014 times)

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Re: Soldat on Linux Systems
« Reply #300 on: January 15, 2008, 01:58:08 pm »
Run 'winecfg' from a terminal and look at some of the video settings.  See if changing any of those helps.

Also, are you using the NVIDIA drivers for your card, or are you using the open-source nv driver instead?

Offline doff

• Major(1)
« Reply #301 on: January 16, 2008, 04:30:09 am »
Yes, NVIDIA Driver Version: 96.43.01 (as I already mentioned)
What video settings should I try? I have no idea...

well, I have a little progress. When I start game with no bots it runs rather playable but some lags with menu. When joining server with 2 players - playable (but when any menu (weapons, exit etc.) opens - it lags very much). When joining server with 5 players - the game lags.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 07:43:19 am by doff »

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #302 on: January 19, 2008, 01:24:19 pm »
doff, you should definitely have the Pixel Shaders enabled, and if you can set the Vertex Shaders to full hardware acceleration as well, that'd help a bunch.
Soldat on Linux: It does work! Need help?

Offline doff

• Major(1)
« Reply #303 on: January 21, 2008, 07:42:47 am »
doff, you should definitely have the Pixel Shaders enabled, and if you can set the Vertex Shaders to full hardware acceleration as well, that'd help a bunch.

Do you really think my GeForce 4 MX440 supports this?

Offline n2j3

• Soldier
    • soldat.gr
« Reply #304 on: January 21, 2008, 01:58:02 pm »
Do you really think my GeForce 4 MX440 supports this?

vertex shader - yes
pixel shader - no

Offline Ora

• Major(1)
« Reply #305 on: February 15, 2008, 10:00:31 am »
I have the same trouble with soldat on wine ( actually 0.9.55, the last on this moment ).
As wine maintainer of it says: "there're some lags with soldat when you points on weapon menu", but unfortunatelly as doff said: it's hard to play when the number of player becomes more than 4 or 5.

I have: nv6600 (with 100.14.19 nv drivers) with hardware 3d acceleration (glxgears: 3510.685~4k frames per second)
Wine-0.9.54...

I've tried to turn Pixel shaders and Vertex Shaders options off and on, mixed them, but the lag and this effect haven't gone
Beats the evil out of you..

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #306 on: March 11, 2008, 04:57:45 pm »
Any updates as to the status of Soldat in Wine?  I've tried starting it on a few computers a number of times, but it just crashes X for me right now.

Are any of you having success using 0.9.57 or 0.9.58?

edit: ok, here's the deal as I see it

- Soldat still crashes after a minute or two of playing online, and then if you try to come back to that server you see that you're banned
- Everything else seems to work perfectly
- Running Soldat in Wine crashes systems running Ubuntu 64-bit, or at least on the one I tried it did.  I'll try it on another one now and post back.

Once I confirm these two problems, I'll post bugs on WineHQ.  Is anyone here running 64-bit and can confirm that it crashes X (as recent as 0.9.58 from git still does that,  every other recent release has as well)?  Other games (Starcraft, Peggle) work fine in Wine on 64-bit, so it is something specific to Soldat.

edit: I have created a bug report on Wine's website for the BE-related crash: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11994

edit again: If you've tested Soldat in Wine and hit that problem (I see that a bunch of you have), please go to that bug and post a comment so that they can mark it as confirmed.

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #307 on: March 11, 2008, 10:52:51 pm »
- Soldat still crashes after a minute or two of playing online, and then if you try to come back to that server you see that you're banned

That would be BattlEye banning you for not responding once you crashed. BattlEye is generally the reason that Soldat crashes under Linux as people have mentioned, but I don't know if it's due specifically to what BattlEye does, or if it's a Wine bug.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 10:54:38 pm by chrisgbk »

Offline Leetux

• Major(1)
« Reply #308 on: April 23, 2008, 08:12:45 am »
As wine maintainer of it says: "there're some lags with soldat when you points on weapon menu", but unfortunatelly as doff said: it's hard to play when the number of player becomes more than 4 or 5.
Same here, have both problems since 1.4.2 has been released. The question is, why for some people Soldat works in good speed, when for some it has this speed problems. Maybe it's something with hardware? I have nvidia too [FX 5200, not so fast card but handled Soldat <1.4.2 on 50-70 FPS level], maybe it's matter or card series not working fine with Soldat [for example 5xxx, 6xxx], or matter of some nvidia issue? FliesLikeABrick and other who has Soldat working in normal speed, what card do you have?

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #309 on: April 23, 2008, 11:22:22 am »
I'm pretty sure it is a matter of the card you have as well as how good the Linux drivers are for it.  The one I was testing it on was the laptop described here: http://www.rpi.edu/laptops/laptops07/specs07.html

Running Ubuntu

And Chris, as for whether it is something BE is doing or a wine bug, I'm guessing it is a combination of both.  BE is doing something not quite implemented in wine yet because it isn't used much, therefore BE crashes and burns

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #310 on: April 25, 2008, 05:49:43 pm »
I run an 8800GTS, and I've been one of the few people who seem to never have FPS problems.  ;D

And yea, WINE is not very good with ANY anticheat engine AFAIK. Punkbuster still doesn't work, and there have been very popular games using that for years now. Don't know how old BE is but like any anticheat engine, it probably has some complicated and very OS specific calls that WINE may not support for a long time (or ever).  :-X
Soldat on Linux: It does work! Need help?

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #311 on: April 25, 2008, 11:39:37 pm »
Yeah, it seems like people with NVIDIA cards have fewer framerate problems with games in WINE. 

Stealth, in case you haven't already, go vote for that BE bug?

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #312 on: May 14, 2008, 07:14:58 am »
Soldat, along with other programs I missed being able to use, seems to work perfectly in wine-1.0-rc1 under Ubuntu Hardy i386 (I'll try Soldat on my Hardy x86_64 laptop sooner or later). I have wine set to emulate windows in Windows XP mode. I've got a GeForce 6600 with 256 megs of video card ram. I'm using the restricted ubuntu drivers for it. I didn't get any errors whatsoever and only played in the Battleye secured servers. I even had some fun in a climbing server for once :)

I installed this version of wine like this, as mentioned here:
wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
then a
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade

I think I should be mention that the version of wine that's in the ubuntu software repository seems to suck on a bunch of programs, but I'm sure everyone can gather that already ;)

I really hope this finding of mine proves to be useful.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 07:26:00 am by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #313 on: May 14, 2008, 11:10:23 am »
It appears to be working for me too, on my ATI 9600 Thinkpad T42 (1.8GHz)

The only problem is the extra copy of the text that renders upside down in the corner of the screen, I'm pretty sure that is causing me to take a FPS hit.  I'll try messing with some options to make that go away, but I might just have to wait until WINE matches the native windows behavior in handling how MM renders text

edit: I originally ran it with video compatibility off.  Turning video compatibility on doesn't help that issue and might actually be a worse framerate.

I should mention I'm running it in windowed mode on a WINE virtual desktop.  I'll try fullscreen both within the virtual desktop and out of it some other time.  I'll also try it on my desktop which has integrated Intel (945GM) graphics, though I may not be able to do that until some time this weekend.

More test results from other people would be awesome
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 11:12:57 am by FliesLikeABrick »

Offline Leetux

• Major(1)
« Reply #314 on: May 14, 2008, 11:16:26 am »
I have new computer and performance problems gone, but I'm getting external exception 80000004 and Battleye kicks me when joining server. Wine 1.0-rc1 [Debian repository from winehq.org] and Debian Sid.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #315 on: May 14, 2008, 11:20:20 am »
Hm, I didn't encounter the battleye kick/ban in my testing just now.

edit: Leetux, if you could register on AppDB and add a vote/comments to this bug report, it could result in this bug being fixed much sooner: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11994

There is more information about how the WINE voting system works (it is very important to show your support for bugs you would like to see fixed and applications you would like to see supported) here: http://tns.u13.net/?p=45
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 11:22:01 am by FliesLikeABrick »

Offline Leetux

• Major(1)
« Reply #316 on: May 14, 2008, 11:47:58 am »
Inspired by sqweek's comment on bugzilla I've tried to work with file permissions but nothing happened. Then [i know, it's a risk] I've launched Soldat from root and BattlEye updated itself [it didn't do that before], but then I was kicked... By the way I'm adding test data and voting on apps and bugs regularly.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #317 on: May 14, 2008, 01:24:33 pm »
I forgot to mention that I'm not using wine's application windowed mode. I'm using Soldat at resolution 1024 * 768 with compatibility mode turned off. I needed to disable a LOT of Soldat's special effects to get a decent frame rate. Also, I played for like 15 minutes then I got the 800004 exception error. That wasn't hard to get out of, I just did alt + F2, typed xkill, then clicked the error box.

FliesLikeABrick, do you know when the latest release of wine will get into ubuntu's default repositories? Is the one we just installed a beta? I'm not sure what rc1 means.
There are other worlds than these

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #318 on: May 15, 2008, 06:40:03 pm »
rc1 means it is the first release candidate for the wine 1.0 release. 

Wine will be a beta product for a very long time, even after 1.0 is out.  1.0rc1 will make it into the default wine repositories at some point, there is usually a decent lag (which is why people who want more functionality should always use the wine.budgetdedicated.com repository)

Offline sqweek

• Major(1)
« Reply #319 on: May 26, 2008, 11:35:57 am »
 Damn, you guys got my hopes up. Still got 800004 here with 1.0rc2.
 It's hard to tell since I haven't fiddled with it for ages, but I think it stayed connected a bit longer. Battleye updated and then about a minute later I got the exception, where it used to be more like 1 second after the update IIRC. Might have to try fiddling with settings and reinstalling...