Author Topic: Soldat on Linux & OS X Systems  (Read 345330 times)

Offline Therier

• Soldier
Re: Soldat on Linux Systems
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2006, 06:15:34 am »
The game can notice my sounds now but the graphicks is the problem :/

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2006, 06:37:48 am »
Yup, as stated in the App Database, Soldat is crruently working very well in WINE. The only thing that is a real show stopper, is that polygon bug, which hopefully that dev will fix! :D I've also figure out how to do regression testing with GIT, so I will be doing that all day as I try narrowing down what happened in the latest version.

Of course, not having to hack the text would be nice too... ::) ;)
Soldat on Linux: It does work! Need help?

Offline Therier

• Soldier
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2006, 07:03:33 am »
You can run in to Soldat in wine? I cant run in to game.. Do you guys know that will Soldat works in Cedega?

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2006, 07:14:53 am »
I believe Soldat works in Cedega, but I have no experience with that.

Offline Therier

• Soldier
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2006, 09:46:51 am »
Now i have Cedega but i Dont know how to use it :(

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2006, 08:19:07 am »
Therier, can you explain what happens when you run it in Wine? Along with what distro you're using, and Wine version? Cedega is a commerical app with their own support, so you gotta ask them about running it. If you want help with WINE and Soldat, then we can help you out.

Date Posted: August 01, 2006, 11:50:36 AM
Ok this is very weird...

I've been doing a LOT of WINE+GIT regression testing, and something odd comes up. I'm pretty sure that atleast 2 other people, confirmed for me that Wine 0.9 was the last version to have working polygon rendering. However, when I'm running the GIT version of WINE, it appears that versions up to 0.9.8 work too! Now I'm SURE that my install of WINE (through apt-get) did not work up to that version with Soldat. So that just is confusing me a bit. However, even then, with 0.9.8 working and 0.9.9 having the bug, I can now do a regression test between the 2 to hopefully find the exact patch that caused the problem! We're so close!  :o

Offline Pathos

• Major(1)
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2006, 07:54:11 am »
Therier, can you explain what happens when you run it in Wine? Along with what distro you're using, and Wine version? Cedega is a commerical app with their own support, so you gotta ask them about running it. If you want help with WINE and Soldat, then we can help you out.

Date Posted: August 01, 2006, 11:50:36 AM
Ok this is very weird...

I've been doing a LOT of WINE+GIT regression testing, and something odd comes up. I'm pretty sure that atleast 2 other people, confirmed for me that Wine 0.9 was the last version to have working polygon rendering. However, when I'm running the GIT version of WINE, it appears that versions up to 0.9.8 work too! Now I'm SURE that my install of WINE (through apt-get) did not work up to that version with Soldat. So that just is confusing me a bit. However, even then, with 0.9.8 working and 0.9.9 having the bug, I can now do a regression test between the 2 to hopefully find the exact patch that caused the problem! We're so close!  :o

great stuff on the regression testing ... I honestly was not gonna get it done anytime before christmas... :/

That sounds perfectly normal 0.9 was the last version anyone tried that worked and the next version I tried 0.9.10 which obviously didn't.

We just have need to compare changes in the direct3d source code which can be done in multiple ways. diff and cvs itself i think are capable.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow (plenty of homework)

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2006, 01:29:05 am »
When I get my laptop fixed, I'm going to dual-boot Ubantu and Windows XP. Now, I ain't that good with linux AT ALL. But, I plan to learn it. Is there anything that a linux noob could do to help?
Just another soul to burn.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2006, 02:30:07 am »
try to use wikipedia and google to answer your questions about anything before you ask people. 

If you're ever bored, just go around wikipedia and google things and read everything you can.  The more you learn on your own (without asking someone), the better you'll understand it.

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2006, 07:22:34 pm »
Well, if I did everything correctly it looks like I found the bug:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4869#c13

And it VERY MUCH looks like that's the one. It happened when, according to the report, "d3d8: Move texturing code over to wined3d (based on Oliver Stieber's work)." Which is just what seems to be wrong with Soldat at the moment. :) So hopefully, one of the coders can find what exactly about moving the code was done in the certain way that caused this bug! Any coders out there willing to take a look and get this fixed within the next couple WINE releases ;)

Date Posted: August 06, 2006, 07:17:31 PM
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!

I just update my GIT tree to WINE 0.9.19, just released today and they've fixed the polygon bug!! (and the start-up crash from 0.9.18). Soldat is working silky smooth on my machine now, of course, having to use the little font registry hack to get em readable. HURRAH!  :o ;D

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2006, 07:24:49 pm »
:D

Have you mentioned the font bug to the devs?

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2006, 01:17:37 pm »
Well, I added a comment on the bug's entry. Hopefully someone will look into it again. Unfortunately this one seems to lie solely on the coders, because as far as I know, this bug has always existed, and there is no way we can do any regression testing on it. There have been some hints on what's happening (letters flipped backwards, and shifted 1 letter), where the problem is (somewhere in ddraw coding), and a few workarounds (font hack, disable truetype during WINE compilment, or the best one so far via regedit) but this bug is still alive. If anyone else uses WINE enough, please register in their bugzilla site and add your comments/support/votes to getting this bug fixed: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3685

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2006, 01:59:49 pm »
I'm compiling 0.9.19 on my desktop now and will try it when I get home
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 02:12:03 pm by FliesLikeABrick »

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2006, 02:46:48 pm »
All right, let me how it goes. I've tried on 2 desktops the ubuntu version debs, and for some reason Soldat is now not accepting my mouse/keyboard input...>_<

Although on my GIT version, everything is working fine. So maybe these Ubuntu WINE debs aren't being compiled that great...

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2006, 04:37:57 pm »
I'm having problems getting it to start

Code: [Select]
ryan@ryandc1:~/.wine/drive_c/Soldat$ /usr/local/bin/wine Soldat.exe
err:module:import_dll Library wined3d.dll (which is needed by L"c:\\windows\\system32\\d3d8.dll") not found
err:module:import_dll Library d3d8.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Soldat\\Soldat.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Soldat\\Soldat.exe" failed, status c0000135

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2006, 09:20:39 pm »
What distro are you using? Searching for those files, I find them in \usr\lib\wine. I don't think you need it, but I know there is a package called winelib, maybe you should try getting that too?

Unless you somehow compiled WINE without DirectX support! :D

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2006, 09:30:53 pm »
Ok. I have Ubuntu on my computer now, and I'm trying to find WINE. I'll try and help out if I can, just tell me what you want me to do, andI'll do it :)
Just another soul to burn.

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2006, 06:35:45 am »
Here's some help Bone Collector...

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2006, 09:24:59 am »
I found d3d8.dll.so in /usr/local/lib/wine and could not find wined3d.dll (or .so) anywhere on the system.  /usr/lib/wine does not exist, I'm guessing on my system it is /usr/local/lib instead

I'm running ubuntu 6.06 and installed 0.9.19 from the CVS source.  I'll try again from a debian package and see what happens (though I won't be able to try this until after work)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 09:26:30 am by FliesLikeABrick »

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2006, 06:46:10 am »
Ok, by the way, if anyone would like to get a GIT tree of WINE, just go here and follow instructions 1 and 2. And for regression testing go to 6. Heck, its shortI'll just copy-paste it here :P

If you use Ubuntu, you'll probably need to do this:
sudo apt-get install git gitk git-core
gitk/git-core seems to be needed, otherwise you'll get this weird error about git. you'll see what I mean if you try.

git clone git://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git wine-git
cd wine-git

Now you are inside the GIT tree. All you need to do is compile it:
./configure && make clean && make depend && make
And then run and install soldat! (remember to use ./wine instead of wine in the command line, to use the version in the GIT tree and not your local install)