Author Topic: Soldat on Linux & OS X Systems  (Read 346274 times)

Offline Gizd

• Flagrunner
  • (Re)tired
    • Eat-this! community site
Re: Soldat on Linux Systems
« Reply #380 on: August 21, 2010, 02:04:58 pm »
* Opening the ingame chat to type will kill your FPS until you finished typing (minor)
That happens on Windows as well(to me).

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #381 on: August 21, 2010, 09:12:43 pm »
Almost-A-Year-Bump!

Arch Linux 64 Bit, WINE 1.3.0, Soldat 1.5.0 (Gotta figure out how to get the beta installed :/): runs perfectly fine with 3 exceptions:

* Opening the ingame chat to type will kill your FPS until you finished typing (minor)
 * Access Violation after returning from a single player game (minor, harmless - does not prevent playing again)
 * Fullscreen unusable (minor to medium)

Specs?
There are other worlds than these

Offline gens

• Major(1)
« Reply #382 on: October 09, 2010, 08:34:27 am »
working very good on slackware with wine 1.3.4 installed using slackbuilds with wine-dib (instructions http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.1/system/wine/ open wine.slackbuild file with an editor, mark version 1.3.4 (its 1.2 there), download source from sourceforge and dibengine from the link provided(bug421)), script coud be used on diferent distros with minor modifications

fonts need to be changed in fonts.ini and options tweeked
fullscreen has problems

oh ye, 2.6 P4, geforce4 420 go 32m

got a bit ahead of myself, menus go missing sometimes in higher resolutions and low fps in 10 or more player games
works good with filters on too
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 10:19:23 pm by gens »

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #383 on: November 19, 2010, 05:15:14 pm »
So, is it possible to play Soldat on Linux without any uncomfortable bugs...? May u make any tutorial about installing?

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #384 on: November 21, 2010, 08:00:36 pm »
So, is it possible to play Soldat on Linux without any uncomfortable bugs...? May u make any tutorial about installing?

No. It doesn't run well at all.
There are other worlds than these

Offline gens

• Major(1)
« Reply #385 on: November 29, 2010, 10:05:02 am »
first get the official source and the new DIB engine (as of wine 1.3.7 some compactibility modification)
i got slackware so ul have to modify the script
http://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/13.1/system/wine/wine.SlackBuild
i just change the version variable and use DIB=YES ./wine.SlackBuild to make myself a package with DIB
ul have to change distro and a couple other variables and stop it from making a package (or just untar the package) and use wine directly (./wine program)(dont forget WINEDIB=ON to start it with dib engine) or idk install it manualy or just add a $PATH variable

also found a najs script to start soldat

----------------

#!/bin/sh

#First change the resolution to fit Soldat (do not change line):
xrandr -s 800x600

#Then start the program (change this line):
WINEDEBUG=-all WINEDIB=ON wine "/root//drive_c/Soldat/Soldat.exe"

#Wait until after the program exits to finish the script:
wait

#After the program exits it should fire off this code to reset
#your screen resolution (change the resolution if you need to):
xrandr -s 1280x1024

-------------------

if the fonts cause problems like text dissapearing, try changing their size/them or copy native ones over the ones in soldat folder (maybe just deleting them woud work)

just so u know, this comp sux, soldat worked ok on win just not when it roasted the disk, on linux i get 40-50 fps what is enough to play normaly
the script is there cuz  it complained about some nonsence not being set when compiling manualy, and is easier to patch

forgot why i came here

new anticheat sux, says im using a debuger
i use WINEDEBUG=-all to dissable debug msgs, idk if it disables the debuger or the anti cheat uses some other hax to speculate that im using a debuger
been searching and found 2 things:
1 i can compile wine with --debug-off
2 other wined apps runing are setting off the anti cheat (dont have anything else runing, maybe its some wine sistem program

am i talking nonsence?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:07:14 am by gens »

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #386 on: September 10, 2011, 04:54:30 pm »
Soldat version 1.6 doesn't work on wine at all. A small popup "Error occured while launching Soldat" appears.
Crashes at:
Code: [Select]
warn:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"Z:\\home\\Gry\\Soldat\\ASEQuery_soldat.dll": /home/tom/.wine/dosdevices/z:/home/Gry/Soldat/ASEQuery_soldat.dll: invalid ELF header
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #387 on: September 10, 2011, 06:10:20 pm »
Soldat version 1.6 doesn't work on wine at all. A small popup "Error occured while launching Soldat" appears.
Crashes at:
warn:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"Z:\\home\\Gry\\Soldat\\ASEQuery_soldat.dll": /home/tom/.wine/dosdevices/z:/home/Gry/Soldat/ASEQuery_soldat.dll: invalid ELF header
Soldat tried to load 2 dlls from  C:\Windows\System32 (or similar folder) on startup:
rasadhlp.dll
Winmm.dll

I guess they are missing in your wine install and thats why it doesn't load.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #388 on: September 11, 2011, 06:06:26 am »
Thanks, it launches now, though it works as bad as it used to. Though how good soldat works on wine mostly depends on your hardware.

To all other readers: if, after adding those two dlls, your soldat still refuse to work, make sure that you have winbind package installed.
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline Kagesha

• Flagrunner
  • cunts
« Reply #389 on: September 24, 2011, 11:17:38 pm »
managed to get it working under wine - pretty sure it was a fluke, worked flawlessly when i was playing single player - online it said it couldn't verify my hardware id. closed it, opened it up again got an error "System Error. Code 50. Request Not Supported". clicked ok, then it just disappears.

(note: i'm completely new to linux)

edit -

X Error of failed request:  GLXBadDrawable
  Major opcode of failed request:  136 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
  Serial number of failed request:  8349
  Current serial number in output stream:  8349
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 11:51:25 pm by Kagesha »

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #390 on: January 28, 2012, 07:27:05 am »
http://www.winehq.org/announce/1.4-rc1 New Wine is coming. Maybe Soldat will be available on Linux finally...

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #391 on: January 28, 2012, 02:24:32 pm »
I doubt that hiwd generation will work, other than that it mostly depend on hardware if soldat works under linux or not. if you have a new stuff it usually does. Also:
wine-1.3.37
Now, that's the version
- Andrew Lewis

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #392 on: February 06, 2012, 05:09:17 pm »
Time for another update in here.
As of wine-1.4-rc2 everything but multiplayer seem to work on linux pretty well. The only problems i had was a small lag (though i have a slow machine) and national chars bugged, though i confess i haven't played with fonts too much (yet). A short guide on how to configure both wine and soldat:

Download & Install as you'd do usually. I had vsync and fps-limiter both turned on. The key page seem to be the sound settings. If the game lags then try playing in here, if nothing works then just set it to No Sound. Also set backbuffer to 1. Haven't tested antialiasing too.
Upon launch wine may report that you have no winbind package. I have no idea why'd it need winbind but for your own safety make sure you have it installed (it's most likely in samba package). You can ignore the request not supported error, I guess it has something to do with hwids not working. Rest stays more or less just like under windows.

Quick troubleshooting:
  • it lags
    then first of all check the sound page. If you have No Sound in there then do as follows:
    in console type:

if it says yes then continue reading, if it says no then it means that something is wrong with your graphic driver. Poke at your distro page/wiki/forum on how to fix this.
    glxinfo |grep "direct rendering"
    If above works then next try to force wine to use opengl instead of gdi for rendering. Launch "wine regedit" in console and then go to (create if not exists):
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D\
    there create key chain with name "DirectDrawRenderer" and value "opengl"
    if it still lags then try playing with various keys described on this page

• soldat breaks my resolution
    Oh well, nothing unusual. To fix it launch "xrandr -s 0". It'll then reset resolution to the right one
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:11:56 pm by FalconPL »
- Andrew Lewis

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #393 on: February 06, 2012, 05:21:26 pm »
Sounds nice Falcon, but what about that multiplayer? Is there any hope? We all know that multi is the most important thing in Soldat. If it's still rc, maybe you will be able to write to the author about that bug.

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #394 on: February 06, 2012, 05:44:35 pm »
From wine side it's hard to implement i guess, but zakath was trying to fix it in this topic. Maybe he succeeds until next soldat release, who knows.
- Andrew Lewis

Offline JackFlash

• Major(1)
« Reply #395 on: February 23, 2012, 03:01:07 pm »
As of wine-1.4-rc2 everything but multiplayer seem to work on linux pretty well.

I second that! Soldat runs really smooth on my Debian. Maybe even better then on Windows 7... As a matter of fact, Soldat is the main reason why I keep my dualboot settings.
So, now how to make hardware id working on linux systems? ???

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #396 on: April 09, 2012, 04:25:30 pm »
I officially announce that Soldat client 1.6.3 beta is fully operational and playable on my linux system. Multiplayer included.
- Andrew Lewis

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #397 on: April 10, 2012, 05:52:46 am »
Awesome! :)
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #398 on: April 10, 2012, 12:52:03 pm »
I officially announce that Soldat client 1.6.3 beta is fully operational and playable on my linux system. Multiplayer included.
Sweet mother of God!  [retard]

Offline Manifold

• Major(1)
« Reply #399 on: May 10, 2012, 01:00:45 pm »

I can confirm this on wine 1.5.3, running Archlinux 64 bit. Played a few matches online with no crashes.