Author Topic: Soldat on Linux & OS X Systems  (Read 344937 times)

Offline KaOSoFt

• Major(1)
Re: Soldat on Linux Systems
« Reply #400 on: June 09, 2012, 10:30:35 am »
I officially announce that Soldat client 1.6.3 beta is fully operational and playable on my linux system. Multiplayer included.
Could you please provide some details, like wine version and installation method? Is the latter the same as described in a previous reply of yours?

Thank you very much!

PS: Mostly OS X 10.6.8 here, although if things look awry, I’ll just use my ArchLinux machine.
To be human is to know the fear of death, yet keep on fighting.

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #401 on: June 09, 2012, 10:50:34 am »
Pretty much newest wine (i have 1.5.5 right now) with out of the box settings. What comes to soldat i have antialiasing disabled only.
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline KaOSoFt

• Major(1)
« Reply #402 on: June 10, 2012, 07:06:59 pm »
Pretty much newest wine (i have 1.5.5 right now) with out of the box settings. What comes to soldat i have antialiasing disabled only.
What a shame. The whole GUI is just a black screen. I can interface with it, played alone, but I haven’t yet been able to join any games.

I’m going to try looking at the interface on my desktop machine as a guide, but it will make it really hard to select servers to play, haha.

In any case, alone with 8 bots worked just fine. No lags or anything. Yay!

PS: By the way, this was with wine 1.5.6 on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

EDIT: NEVERMIND!!! Just clicked on a little window called Wine System Tray, clicked on the Soldat icon there, clicked again on Soldat GUI, and that was it! I AM PLAYING SOLDAT AGAIN...! The weapon selection menu gives me a little bit of graphics lag, but besides that, 70-200 ping. :D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 07:29:41 pm by KaOSoFt »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #403 on: June 10, 2012, 08:00:38 pm »
but besides that, 70-200 ping. :D

I'm sincerely hoping you meant to say FPS rather than ping.
There are other worlds than these

Offline KaOSoFt

• Major(1)
« Reply #404 on: June 10, 2012, 09:48:22 pm »
but besides that, 70-200 ping. :D

I'm sincerely hoping you meant to say FPS rather than ping.
No idea how to get the FPS displayed, so yeah, I meant ping. :S

Now that we are at it... do you think it’s that high because of the emulation layer? I know I am living in Colombia, but I’ve got a 4 MB/s connection.

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #405 on: June 12, 2012, 08:53:40 am »
No idea how to get the FPS displayed
F3... You should have taken a look at manual http://static.soldat.pl/man/manual-en.html#KLAWISZE

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #406 on: June 12, 2012, 09:58:03 am »
connection speed doesn't matter, you could have dialup 52Kb/s and yet your ping would be still the same.
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline jlott24

• Major(1)
« Reply #407 on: July 11, 2012, 02:46:09 pm »
I can't seem to be able to interface with the profile menu after starting the game... it won't register my clicks. Does anyone else have this problem?

Running Arch 32 bit with the latest wine out of the box, no tweaks.

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #408 on: July 12, 2012, 02:36:29 am »
It seems broken since wine 1.5.7, I recommend you to downgrade to 1.5.6
- Andrew Lewis

Offline jlott24

• Major(1)
« Reply #409 on: July 12, 2012, 03:05:19 am »
Thank you for the response! This successfully fixed my menu problem, but now soldat instantly freezes as soon as I enter a game... do I need to toy with video settings to make this work?

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #410 on: July 12, 2012, 03:39:22 am »
Probably yes. Whenever soldat works or not on your PC seems to strongly depend on the hardware and graphic drivers you have. If you experience a huge fps problem then try the following
  • Run soldat with WINEDEBUG=-all variable set (something like WINEDEBUG=-all wine Soldat.exe)
  • Set settings to lowest possible (low resolution, no texture filters, disable antialiasing etc)
  • Disable as much font rendering as possible (disable kill console for instance)
  • Disable sound (Yes, I'm serious, it has a potential to cause a huge lag, no idea why)
  • Make sure that wine uses OpenGL to render display (more info here)
  • Install DirectX libraries and force wine to use them instead of wine's native implementation (winetricks script might be useful here, available to download form here)
  • If you have network problems, I've heard that installing samba with winbind support helps
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 06:56:17 am by FalconPL »
- Andrew Lewis

Offline jlott24

• Major(1)
« Reply #411 on: July 19, 2012, 01:52:21 am »
I was able to fix the strange issue of my not being able to play the game. Turns out it really involved me optimizing my video card to perform with my linux system, which I shamefully had not yet done. I have an Intel 965 GMA, and optimizing it with my Arch Linux setup involved these rough steps for me:

*Installing xf86-video-intel-sna where previously intel-uxa was installed
*Disabling Vertical Sync in Xorg; I used a tool called DriConf to do this
*Enables s3tc compression for all applications (probably irrelevant to wine performance)
There's little doubt that disabling vertical sync, far more than the driver change, was responsible for fixing my issue.
I also acquired GMABooster from the AUR, although haven't yet used it, as overclocking my card I regard as a last resort solution to improve performance.

The Arch Wiki is a good resource for anyone with an Intel video card experiencing similar problems.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Maximizing_performance#Graphics

Offline archie

• Major(1)
« Reply #412 on: November 05, 2012, 07:00:04 pm »
It's been about 6 months since Shoozza announced a possibility of getting Soldat to run natively under Linux, if I understood that correctly. I'm simply curiously bumping in here, to check how the progress is going and what is its status, especially now, since Valve announced Steam for Linux and created this big "hush hush" about linux becoming the new gaming platform and other wishful thinking.

Wine and other VMs put a struggle on older systems and Soldat was always considered a viable option for low end gaming.

So, any news?  :)

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #413 on: November 06, 2012, 03:35:33 am »
Not really much progress on the client side when it comes to linux support.
The server was ported to Lazarus which is the first step as it shared code with the client.
But there are things like DirectX and DirectInput which need to be rewritten to work on linux which will not happen anytime soon I guess.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #414 on: November 17, 2012, 05:38:51 pm »
I've been changing pc recently, now having AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 (4 cores, 64bit) and crappy, mainboard embedded nvidia card. At first soldat (and pretty much all windows games) were running really laggy on it, so i began to mess up with the settings. The one that seemed to solve the problem was "OffscreenRenderingMode" set to "backbuffer" (more info about it here). Besides that i've installed directx and pretty much all fonts using winetricks and disabled dwrite.dll, but i didn't notice those setting to influent soldat.
Soldat runs now smoother that on my windows7 laptop. Can't show you fps because alt+f3 is some kde shortcut and therefore is captured by the system instead of soldat, oh well.
If anyone has similar hardware setup and laggy soldat under wine, try this, maybe you'll be in luck.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 05:40:33 pm by FalconPL »
- Andrew Lewis

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #415 on: January 06, 2013, 02:32:23 pm »
I've upgraded pc again, this time changed only graphic card to AMD Radeon HD7770. Well, ugh, bad decision i must say, at least for soldat. Support for AMD cards in WINE is some really bad joke, i barely made soldat to even start. Though it "works" in the end.

So, first thing of all, as in my previous post, you need to set OffscreenRenderingMode to backbuffer (see Useful registry keys), without it, soldat is some kind of slideshow.
I use proprietary drivers (opens one makes system freeze at boot time) and so i have aticonfig tool to make my X config file. To make soldat work i had to pass it one additional parameter, and that'd be --locked-userpages=off. Without it, game starts to run like a slideshow after couple of minutes.
As usually i have overridden some directx dlls, though that doesn't seem to influence soldat in any way.
Game doesn't also work unless you have full screen/window 100% resize enabled (enable the 2nd one, about why, read below)
At this point soldat should work more or less once you enter the game, problem is the menu. It's completely black, so unless you know where each button is, it's unusable. To fix it, you need to have soldat in windowed mode. So menu windowed + game full screen requirement = windowed + window 100% resize in config.exe. Since i like to have my game full screen anyway, I've set a custom resolution of 1918x1198, so -1 px for each side (setting windowed mode + full screen resolution makes it buggy as if i ticked full screen option).

After all this you have working:
- menu, though it works only once. After you leave the game, it's black and unusable again, so you have to kill the process
- game, although it has all the fonts rendering themselves in lower left corner. Unfortunately it doesn't show on the screenshots, so can't show you what i'm talking about.

Besides those two, game works relatively fine, as long as you have little fonts on your screen. Once you, for instance, open the weapon menu, it starts to get glitchy. So for full playability, disable kill console.
I didn't mess with fps limiter, vsync nor or high resolution counter options. They've never gave me any effect.

Concluding from my reasearch, i kinda agree with this statement:
ATI cards are like buses, they're big, red, and have bad drivers.
You want playing games on WINE? Get yourself nVidia.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 04:49:28 pm by FalconPL »
- Andrew Lewis

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #416 on: January 11, 2013, 03:23:46 pm »
I've been given application maintainer status on WineHQ's appdb Soldat page. If anybody'd be interested in helping, please contact me, preferably trough IRC.
- Andrew Lewis

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #417 on: September 15, 2013, 07:09:50 pm »
I've got Soldat working somewhat fine on Wine 1.6/Ubuntu 13.04. Occasionally it performs better than on Win7 but the fonts don't seem to render as well as on Windows and after I leave a game the menu is fucked. My GPU is nVidia GTX660. Also I have to exit the game if I want to use other programs. I suppose there's no news about this from dev's side.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #418 on: September 15, 2013, 08:18:49 pm »
I've got Soldat working somewhat fine on Wine 1.6/Ubuntu 13.04. Occasionally it performs better than on Win7 but the fonts don't seem to render as well as on Windows and after I leave a game the menu is fucked. My GPU is nVidia GTX660. Also I have to exit the game if I want to use other programs. I suppose there's no news about this from dev's side.

Are you running wine in windowed mode?
There are other worlds than these

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #419 on: September 15, 2013, 08:39:52 pm »
Are you running wine in windowed mode?

Windowed mode as in? I've tried running Soldat both windowed and fullscreen and tried enabling "emulate a virtual desktop" in Wine's config.

Got this working almost perfectly on VMware Workstation (Player might be fine too but didn't try)
The game runs smoothly as fuck most of the time, much better than on W7. Only the scoreboard seems to drop the fps to ~10. I played on a server with 10 people and had occasional lags but otherwise this is great.

e: nope, not enough, back to W7. Got XP on virtual machine running perfectly, that'll do.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 02:51:24 pm by Dusty »