Author Topic: Soldat on Linux & OS X Systems  (Read 345153 times)

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
Re: Soldat on Linux Systems
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2006, 10:17:55 am »
If I remember correctly, that Soldat key program generated a reg key right? I'm sure you can register Soldat under Linux, as it is the same PC you are playing on. The way to do it is tofind the directory it's in through the commandline, and just do a "regedit soldatkey.reg" and press enter. WINE has a registry program just like Windows for this kinda stuff, so with that command, it will apply it to the "WIne regisry" and you should have a registered Soldat under Linux. :D
Soldat on Linux: It does work! Need help?

Offline soupcan

• Major(1)
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2006, 09:44:23 pm »
Thanks for the reply. As far as I know, wine recreates a registry for use by windows apps and reg keys. I added keys to it in order to get the text to work. I was just asking if I can use the same key for two different installs. :)

-- adam

Date Posted: September 14, 2006, 06:20:44 PM
Thanks, stealth. my reply was for the previous post, so hopefully it wasn't confusing. I went ahead and registered it, but it is a different PC than the first one. Will this mess me up? the process worked the same under wine and windows. But I run linux off of my laptop, so it is different hardware. I didn't know the hardware wouls make a difference.

-- adam

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2006, 12:21:10 pm »
I guess this would be more suited for the registration forums. As long as the computer belongs to you I think the legality of using the key is fine. Technically speaking, you can install the key wherever and on whatever you want (and Soldat won't get messed up, or disable itself, etc.), but legally I don't know if it's restricted to one computer (or one OS), or any computer you own.

Offline soupcan

• Major(1)
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2006, 06:34:25 pm »
I put a post in the reg. forum (after i found it, i'm a n00b). Sorry to get off track here (I  won't be offended if a moderator removes the reg key posts). But so far Soldat is still working beautifully in Linux! Here are some (very minor) things i noticed:

If anyone is interested, the text next to the weapon selections disapeared after I registerd (just thought it was curious). Also, on debian systems, if you go to add a profile, does the dialog show up? mine seems to be in the background so i can't see it, but takes away the focus from the main window so I have to kill the process. I use the defaults anyway but it's another curious thing.

Thanks again for the replies!

-- adam

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2006, 06:55:05 pm »
soupcan, can you read the text in game and out of game or not?

Offline soupcan

• Major(1)
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2006, 12:53:27 pm »
Originally I had the scrambled text issue. that was easily fixed by the registry key additions mentioned in an earlier post. Everything showed up readable (plain english) and great. After I registered, the text was the same, except for the primary weapon text. I can see the pictures, and the text next to the secondary weapons. just not the primary. Also for some reason, during the 5-4-3-2-1 countdown i don't see my player until "2" That might be normal though.

The text is there whether I'm in the game menu or on the desktop. During gameplay my mouse is only in the soldat window.

I mentioned it because it seemed peculiar that something should change after regitration.

The popup window issue, I noticed when I went to add a profile. I clicked add and nothing happens except the my mouse is no longer in the soldat window and I have to force quit. This is why I suspect the add profile window grabs the focus but is rendered behind the main window where I can't get to it. I don't know if this was related to registrating or not. I haven't tested in full screen yet, but i'll try that out soon.

-- adam

Date Posted: September 16, 2006, 01:09:26 PM
well.. full screen does the same thing.

I fixed the text issue. apparently i had chosen the "tech" interface. I was messing around an dput it back to default and everything was fine again.

The add profile dialog box issue is still there.

Thanks again to everyone for replying :)

-- soupcan

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2006, 07:23:18 am »
Soupcan, so your Soldat is working fine? Can you take a screenshot for us please? At the moment, it seems that the WINE under Ubuntu (since 0.9.19) the mouse input does not work... :(

Offline soupcan

• Major(1)
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2006, 06:37:24 pm »
Here are some screenshots under wine 9.20 and 9.21 (just updated today)

Soldat runs fine for me. I noticed that when taking the screens that I could not get the keyboard focus back, but the mouse focus never left soldat area of the screen. As long as I don't alt+tab out of it (as i did for the screenshots) i don't have any issues.

The dialog box thing still remains though. As I mentioned before, for example, when you choose "add" from the main screen a dialog is supposed to pop up to add a new profile (registered version, of course). I never see this and lose mouse focus (which I can not restore). I basically copied my profile text files from my windows box in order to use it. This same thing happens when selecting the color chooser also (anything that brings up another dialog)

When I just choose options and play, everything runs great. Actually very well and playable, only a slight jitter with the sound from time to time.

Thanks again :)

-- soupcan

Date Posted: September 18, 2006, 07:34:40 PM
Here's one more

p.s. these are, of course,  me getting my butt handed to me by bots  ;D I'll get better soon.

Offline Frenchie

• Camper
  • SoldatHQ
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2006, 03:27:25 am »
As stealth posted before, he said that you can choose specific versions of wine to use using git.
Would somebody be able to tell me how, or if there is another other way to get a version of wine 9.19 & wine 9.20 as I would like to test them out before going on with lots of regression testing.

Thanks
Soldat Lobby Avec Players -New Release! - Updated AGAIN!

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2006, 06:25:24 am »
Frenchie:

Doing "git reset ---hard wine-0.9.x", where x is the number, will set your GIT to that specific Wine version. And of course, as always, you then must compile it with "./configure && make clean && make depend && make".

I printed a list of every patch between 0.9.19 and 0.9.20, and have tested SOME (like, the first 5, starting from the earliest, at an interval of 3...-.-) so I'll put the list up so people can check patches that other people haven't tried...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 06:19:55 am by Stealth »

Offline Frenchie

• Camper
  • SoldatHQ
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2006, 05:22:59 pm »
Frenchie:

Doing "git reset hard --wine-0.9.x", where x is the number, will set your GIT to that specific Wine version. And of course, as always, you then must compile it with "./configure && make clean && make depend && make".

I printed a list of every patch between 0.9.19 and 0.9.20, and have tested SOME (like, the first 5, starting from the earliest, at an interval of 3...-.-) so I'll put the list up so people can check patches that other people haven't tried...

I try doing 'git reset hard --wine-0.9.19' and it gives me 'fatal: Needed a single revision'

Nevermind, finally found out it was 'git reset --hard wine-0.9.19'
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 06:48:14 pm by Frenchie »

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2006, 06:20:05 am »
Oops, my bad!  ;D

Offline Frenchie

• Camper
  • SoldatHQ
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2006, 07:53:16 pm »
Stealth is there a way where I can update my git thing to wine ver 0.9.19 and a bit?
Besides doing regression testing and stopping once you find a version that works.

Thanks

Offline soupcan

• Major(1)
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2006, 09:45:54 pm »
has anyone tried version 9.21 yet? and is everyone else here using Ubuntu? might the issue be more common with debian based distros for some reason?

mostly i'm curious, but if i can help in some way (i.e. output from my system, settings, or running any test programs) let me know. I don't have much experience with wine (this is the first app i've run with it), but everyone should be able to play Soldat ;)

-- soupcan

p.s. to be clear (so as to not start any distro vs. distro talk) i do really like debian/ubuntu as well, i chose fedora specifically for my thinkpad since redhat has always played nicely with IBM hardware (and redhat 5.1 was my first full-time linux only system)

Date Posted: September 21, 2006, 10:18:24 PM
Update:

I was playing tonight and several rounds into it I had a List Index Out of Bounds error. I clicked OK and the game returned to normal, but since my mouse lost focus, as mentioned earlier, I couldn't get the keyboard back. but the error didn't crash the game or anything.

First time I've had any errors, I did install the big map pack, so maybe it was something with the map I was on (I was switching to several different maps every 5 kills)

-- soupcan

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2006, 10:24:48 am »
Frenchie (or anyone else who'd want to try):

Every patch that is added to WINE is known as a commit. Every commit has a special tag, a long alphanumeric string. By checking the GIT log you can see a list of the commits. When you see the list, on the right you will see a link to that specific commit, if you click on it, a page will come up. You will see the author, commiter, and then the commit tag. You need to copy this tag and use it the same way you use a wine verison tag. "git reset --hard tag".

I have attached a PDF of the commits done from 0.9.19 - 0.9.20 in WINE. The yellow lines are the ends, the dark blue is the VERY VERY LATEST date that I think should be tested, while the lighter blue is what I think the latest test spot. So, like I've said, I've been trying every 3 commits from the start, the ones that haven't worked are marked in red. So, when your testing, work your way from bottom to top, if you continue the every-third pattern, and reach the light blue, start testing the inbetweens. if we test EVERY patch between the bottom yellow and light blue, then we (unfortunately) will have to test from the light blue to the dark blue... :-X

Hopefully we can find the commit quickly together, because this will be a major pain for one man to take on by himself.  :-\

Offline Frenchie

• Camper
  • SoldatHQ
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2006, 06:26:11 pm »
Stealth, I downloaded the file about  5 days ago, but I haven't had access to my computer for a week, until later on today. Would you be able to post a new list (only if you've tested any new commits)

Only so I don't test ones you've already done.

Thanks alot

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2006, 07:49:38 pm »
I've been busy with some drawings and animations, but I just resigned from work last week, so I should get some more testing done...

In other words, the list is still the same :P

Offline Frenchie

• Camper
  • SoldatHQ
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2006, 04:05:05 am »
Lol, I should of asked you about it before, but forgot.  :) Would you be able to upload the list in odt or doc format.

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2006, 09:16:22 am »
I'm such a noob. I made a .pdf so everyone could read it, forgetting this is the Soldat for LINUX thread. And with 80% of the people using UBuntu, they HAVE Openoffice already... ;D

Date Posted: October 02, 2006, 02:14:30 PM
Ok guys, this is weird...

I was messing with my Ubuntu, trying to upgrade to the Edgy Beta. It upgraded fine but I ran out of space, and after some tweaking it locked me out or something. It just wouldn't boot. So I decided to just format it and install a fresh Edgy Beta CD. Lo and behold after installing WINE and Soldat, mouse input works again, polygon bug does not exist, and all is well (except Soldat is a little slow, and as always...text). SO, looks like there is no need to test WINE because it seems to be fine, it looks like maybe some Ubuntu update had broke something, but I really don't know what's up...-.-

Offline Frenchie

• Camper
  • SoldatHQ
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2006, 03:51:04 pm »
Good work Stealth.
I was starting to get tired of testing commits after my ninth one lol  ;D