Author Topic: Soldat on Linux & OS X Systems  (Read 345155 times)

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
Re: Soldat on Linux Systems
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2006, 07:10:16 pm »
LOL, its crazy isn't? Thank goodness this was an invalid bug, because if it were for real, we wouldn't find it for a looooong time... ;D
Soldat on Linux: It does work! Need help?

Offline Gasten

• Major(1)
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2006, 10:07:35 am »
So.... Everything is Ok in Ubuntu Edgy now (except text?)? What version of wine, etc?

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2006, 04:19:44 pm »
The later the version of WINE the better. But its gotta be higher than 0.9.17 I believe (or 18, one of those won't start Soldat at all). I'm running Edgy, and Soldat works fine (I use Wine 0.9.22 at the moment).

BTW guys, 0.9.23 is out!

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2006, 05:10:05 pm »
Alright, so the last thing we need to worry about is keeping attention on the text bug.  The most important thing is to keep the bug report updated with the newer versions and make sure that it doesn't lose attention (aka don't let it fall behind in versions)

Offline Frenchie

• Camper
  • SoldatHQ
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2006, 06:28:52 pm »
So far, so good, just waiting till the official release of Edgy.
But does anyone know(guess) the minimum specs needed to run Soldat in Linux. As I will be trying it out on my 533mhz (Xubuntu) comp.
But that's probably too slow  :(
Soldat Lobby Avec Players -New Release! - Updated AGAIN!

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2006, 06:39:59 pm »
with enough tweaking you should be able to get it to run decently.  I'm sure there's a ton of optimization they have yet to do in wine to get things like games running better.

Offline Frenchie

• Camper
  • SoldatHQ
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2006, 11:52:18 pm »
I have tried it on Edgy and this is what I found.
533mhz Xubuntu - Freezes when starting map . 0.9.22
800mhz Xubuntu - (Same as above) 0.9.25 (tried it with 0.9.22 and it gets a bit further)
2.7Ghz Kubuntu - Runs perfect (except to me it feels like the sound lags abit more then an old ver of wine with Dapper - using ALSA) 0.9.22

Seems like Soldat on wine won't been running on low end comps anytime soon.  :'(

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2006, 12:01:16 am »
I have tried it on Edgy and this is what I found.
533mhz Xubuntu - Freezes when starting map . 0.9.22
800mhz Xubuntu - (Same as above) 0.9.25 (tried it with 0.9.22 and it gets a bit further)
2.7Ghz Kubuntu - Runs perfect (except to me it feels like the sound lags abit more then an old ver of wine with Dapper - using ALSA) 0.9.22

Seems like Soldat on wine won't been running on low end comps anytime soon.  :'(

or you should test it on something besides xubuntu.  There are too many variables in your test to be able to make that kind of statement yet ;)

Offline Frenchie

• Camper
  • SoldatHQ
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2006, 03:15:19 am »
Ok, I'll try on some other distro's and see what pops up.
Once I download the iso's I'll try testing it out on some 'supposably' faster distro's. :P
Probably arch and vector Linux

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2006, 03:17:44 am »
I wasn't saying to test out other distributions, I was saying that you shouldn't vary window managers when you're trying to test this.  Notice that the only one it worked on was Kubuntu?  you may want to try soldat on kubuntu on the two slower machines to see what happens.  If anything, I was saying not to try it on so many different things

Don't bother with other distributions if ubuntu is what makes you happy ;)

Offline Frenchie

• Camper
  • SoldatHQ
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2006, 03:32:28 pm »
Ok, so I tried switching the window managers on 2 comps, and the results.
800mhz Kubuntu - Lagged the whole time, but didn't freeze like xubuntu - 0.9.22 (0.9.25 seems to lag it just abit more)
2.7Ghz Xubuntu - Was freezing much more than when it was on Kubuntu - 0.9.22

The results were quite interesting  :D- the faster 'lightweight' Xubuntu actually lagged/ and froze much more than Kubuntu. In fact Kubuntu the OS didn't bog down the 800mhz as much as people would think KDE does. Some apps in Kubuntu actually ran faster than Xubuntu (Especially internet browser)

Both these systems are 100% not playable for Soldat, they lagged too much. Though the 2.7Ghz works well with Kubuntu on it.

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2006, 10:46:22 am »
What about regular Ubuntu? I shoulda done some experiments with the comps I had but either way:

2.8 P4 - Ubuntu: Very smooth
1.6 P-M - Ubuntu: Also very smooth

Also, I know that my sister's machine, a 1.6 Ghz P4 with a Geforce 2 has quite noticable lag, unlike when it had a Geforce FX 5200 (which broke). So maybe it really depends more on graphic card power than processor? As for Xubuntu's funkiness...that's interesting!  :o

Offline Frenchie

• Camper
  • SoldatHQ
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2006, 04:51:12 pm »
When I get around to it, I'll check it out on Ubuntu edgy

Offline Morik

• Major
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2006, 01:16:47 pm »
Wine was just updated a couple days ago, but i just recently tried to run soldat on ubuntu 6.06 with wine. Soldat loads just fine, but it stops at the single player section. The tabs at the top do not load, and when I press "start game" it freezes. I would include a screenshot, but once i get into soldat, i cant get out without restarting my computer. Alt-tab and ctrl-q do not work. I have only been using ubuntu for a week or so, so im not too familiar with the os.

Edit: Well I tried again, and this time it actually started up. (wonder what the problem was) Now I am getting the traditional bugs like garbled text and keyboard not working ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 01:24:06 pm by Morik »
::::
www.u13.net
www.fracturedsoldat.com
www.ubuntu.com
Proud Admin of Fractured Network, competitive North American soldat community.

Offline Frenchie

• Camper
  • SoldatHQ
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2006, 03:12:31 pm »
Wine was just updated a couple days ago, but i just recently tried to run soldat on ubuntu 6.06 with wine. Soldat loads just fine, but it stops at the single player section. The tabs at the top do not load, and when I press "start game" it freezes. I would include a screenshot, but once i get into soldat, i cant get out without restarting my computer. Alt-tab and ctrl-q do not work. I have only been using ubuntu for a week or so, so im not too familiar with the os.

Thats what happens to me if I don't change the winecfg to output the sound in something else than the oss drivers

Offline Toad King

• Major(1)
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2006, 06:29:43 pm »
I've been running Soldat on my Gentoo box for a while now with little problems (the registry hack for the fonts actually doesn't look that bad IMO), but I've encountered a weird bug lately. When I enter a server playing on a map I don't have, it always runs into an error downloading it, when this never was the problem before. WINE spits out an error with winsock, but I can't reproduce it at the moment.

It's weird since downloading missing maps worked before.

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2006, 06:19:37 pm »
I've been running Soldat on my Gentoo box for a while now with little problems (the registry hack for the fonts actually doesn't look that bad IMO), but I've encountered a weird bug lately. When I enter a server playing on a map I don't have, it always runs into an error downloading it, when this never was the problem before. WINE spits out an error with winsock, but I can't reproduce it at the moment.

It's weird since downloading missing maps worked before.

And did you update your Wine? If so, I'll have to do a regression test to find the patch that messed it up...

Offline Toad King

• Major(1)
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2006, 08:29:43 pm »
I found out the problem.

When manually installing some new maps, it extracted the map files to a folder named "maps", and since this is on a ext3 partition, it was seperate from the default "Maps" directory. My guess is because FAT32/NTFS are case-insensitive filesystems, WINE was confused on which directory to save the maps to and silently failed. Combining the two and deleting the extra one fixed the problem.

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2006, 08:59:38 am »
My guess is because FAT32/NTFS are case-insensitive filesystems, WINE was confused on which directory to save the maps to and silently failed.

Actually, I believe it's just Windows (not the filesystem) that is case-insensitive. As I have a driver for reading ext3 from Windows, and it doesn't really care. Same vice-versa, with NTFS drivers, Linux is still case-sensitive on files on those partitions...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 09:06:12 am by Stealth »

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2006, 09:13:05 am »
ok, so I lost my Linux a few months ago (the install got bugged....and wouldn't start in graphic mode.) Anyway...I have the latest Ubuntu and WINE, and Soldat installed. I'm still a complete n00b to Linux, but if theres anything relatively easy that I can do to help...let me know :)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need help in finding the WINE directory guys...I've looked everywhere and can't find it at all :(
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 10:01:48 am by The Bone Collector »
Just another soul to burn.