Author Topic: Two Bot Suggestions.  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
Two Bot Suggestions.
« on: November 23, 2006, 01:07:26 pm »
If any of you are half as obsessed as I am with bots and play offline normally, you would see that as soon as bots see an enemy, they deviate off into a terribly moronic combat-behavior, and retain the last action they were going to perform had there not been an enemy to do once the enemy wanders out of their line of sight or is killed. During this combat behavior, bots barely assume any vertical height; they almost always crouch, they may jet a little, they may run forward or back, but they don't move much and sometimes get stuck in weird places due to this.

So what I'm suggesting is this: When a bot engages combat, make it a 50% chance that it goes into this weird combat-behavior, and 50% that it will fire at the enemy, but still maintain its waypoint actions. It's moronic how when you're on a ctf_B2b bridge and a bot is running underneath, and when it sees you it just stupidly deviates into the combat-behavior and sits there, firing at you until it dies, you die, or one of you leaves the other's line-of-sight. It'd be awesome if the bot would continue charging forward, while trying to take a few potshots at you in its run. :)

Another thing: have flag-carrying bots in CTF & Inf. retaliate when fired upon! They never retaliate. I don't think this is very hard to code since HTF flag-carriers can already fire back, when HTF waypoints are stylized like CTF & Inf. It's kind of stupid how the FC-bot mans a stat. gun but never uses it, too :P

(That's also why the HTF map pool cannot share DM maps; the waypoint formats differ greatly, too greatly to be even efficiently functional)

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
Re: Two Bot Suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 01:12:45 pm »
1 is great, and would stop most air combat wypting difficulties.

2 and 2b are excellent, I'm tired of having no challenge when hunting down an efc bot.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline Sotija

• Veteran
  • Sotija
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 01:46:31 pm »
I support it.Nice ideas *apllauds*

Joako

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 02:01:56 pm »
Change the title to 3 bot suggestions, and add mine:

An immortal bot. This would be GREAT to practice aiming on a moving targer, etc etc...

Also, have option to make it not shoot at you or other stuff.

Add it if you'd like.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 02:18:38 pm »
I don't really like the idea of an immortal bot; if you want to practice, just take on 10 bots in a team gamemode. There will always be another bot to kill once you've killed one ;D And there are already bots who don't fire at you. See the Dummy bot which accompanies the dedicated-server download, in the attachment below. They're not bad ideas, but they just feel redundant since you basically can already achieve them through alternate means.

@Mistercharles: 2b? Where? :-\

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 02:25:44 pm »
@Mistercharles: 2b? Where? :-\
Think he refers to:
Another thing: have flag-carrying bots in CTF & Inf. retaliate when fired upon! They never retaliate. I don't think this is very hard to code since HTF flag-carriers can already fire back, when HTF waypoints are stylized like CTF & Inf. It's kind of stupid how the FC-bot mans a stat. gun but never uses it, too :P

In any case, all these three ideas have my full support. Has always annoyed me that flag carriers are almost sitting ducks. :-\

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 03:08:02 pm »
I agree completely!

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 03:59:15 pm »

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 05:18:13 pm »
yea neat lil idea. I'l say it once again , it's the small things that matter the most

Offline Cato269

• Camper
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:16:29 pm »
/support

/applaud

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
  • I know Karate!....and several other Japanese words
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 07:33:05 pm »
I dont care but it won't hurt, so sure.

Offline -{Phoenix}-

• Major
  • /<**
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 11:39:45 am »
I dont care but it won't hurt, so sure.
FEAR - fear is not to be feared - fear is edge - fear keeps you on your toes - fear keeps one eye open when you sleep - fear adds caution to courage - conquer fear and fear is not your foe, its your friend.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 12:31:51 pm »
Toumaz, that's 2 (FC-retaliation). 1 is for bots to maintain waypoint routes 50% of the time in combat.

Oh, and thanks, all :P I didn't think this would get much support, heh
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 12:36:52 pm by Keron Cyst »