Author Topic: <Uknown Name> Suggestions?  (Read 1208 times)

Offline carnageX

• Major(1)
<Uknown Name> Suggestions?
« on: November 28, 2006, 10:58:16 pm »
Ok, I'm trying to get back into map making.  My first few maps were Moonlit Cliff and Frozen Mine (don't think I've re-posted them here, but they're on the old forums).  Here's a (very) early screen of my map.  It's still in productoin, so don't be too hard on me (don't give me stuff about shading/scenary, because I just want suggestions on the general layout).  Anyway... Here it is:

Ok... 

What do you think would be a good name for this so far?  I was thinking something like "Q'bd" or "Mite" (Mite because of the odd structure I made in the center, looks sort of like a mite or crab or something).  Do you think this would work only good as a DM map?  Or do you think it could work as a CTF or INF possibly?   Anything I should add on or subtract out?  Also, please note that the black background and texture will most likely be temporary.  I just picked a texture from the list, and made the bg black so that I could see the poly's well. 

Just trying to build up some more ideas for this future-map of mine.  That way I can complete it. 

Thanks a lot for any help, its appreciated =). 

Soldat in-game name: carnageX

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
Re: <Uknown Name> Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 11:06:45 pm »
DM or HTF only, since I'd assume from the layout that you'll have one team high and another low, and with essentially identical structures, that'll give the advantage to the high team (quicker to rush the flag and falling gunfire). I thought "tick" the moment I saw the image due to the center structure, so I'd agree that "mite" or similar would be a fitting name. :)

Offline carnageX

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 11:25:39 pm »
Heh... I think I just might go with 'Mite' or 'Tick' XD.  If I go with Tick, I'll be sure to mention you for the name in the ReadMe file =). 

Ah, yeah, I see what you mean about the rushing.  I guess I didn't really think of that XD.  Do you think that for HTF, it would be better to put in the center?  Maybe I could modify the very central structure (the hexagon inside of the 'mite') to have a hollow center going diagnally (the short way, not the long way, so it would look like "/"), and then put the flag in there?  I was also thinking about putting a semi-transparent, glowing ball inbetween the two smaller 'pincers' in the corners of the map, and putting transparent death poly's behind it, so it would act as sort of a 'death ray' in the starting process of firing up XD. 

I'm trying to make it as symmetrical as possible, so whatever I add to one area, I'd kind of like to add to the adjacent area, as well, so it looks the same on both areas.  Should I add anymore structures in the bare areas to the left/right of the 'mite' structure?  Or just leave them bare? 

Thanks again for help/suggestions!

Soldat in-game name: carnageX

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 12:23:32 am »
Looks like HTF. I personally don't like the border like that; it should be more than just a box (bring it in a little), but then again it is kind of a weird layout to start with, if you ask me. :P IMO, the polygon-tick in the center should be the entire map, and the spikes and Ls removed; that would be a pretty nice arrangement.

Offline viggoloniggolo

• Camper
  • maplord
    • Soldat Mappers League
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 10:11:55 am »
the maps gameplay will quite literally f*** up because of the non-circularism and those spikes sticking out of the walls are like obstacles...

Offline popsofctown

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 06:30:42 pm »
I think there is to much empty space below the exit of the top L.
Without originality society is doomed.
If you are tired of seeing the same lines in every signature, don't put this in your signature

\\\**I love DM**///