Poll

Which one did you find first?

Soldat
33 (71.7%)
Leiro
13 (28.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Soldat Or Liero?  (Read 5507 times)

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
Soldat Or Liero?
« on: June 18, 2006, 06:42:14 pm »
Which game did you find first? Soldat or Leiro.

Just another soul to burn.

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
Re: Soldat Or Liero?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 06:43:01 pm »
Soldat

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Spyder

• Soldier
  • Member Since 19 Oct 2002
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 07:18:58 pm »
yay for another stupid poll topic

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 09:49:26 pm »
Soldat. I've never even heard of Liero. I just googled it and it doesn't run with sound on Windows 2000 or XP. It's even worse on Service Pack 2, which I have. Looks like I'm not getting it. :)

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 10:02:33 pm »
Soldat.

Liero is fun from time to time, but really just does not stand up to Soldat at all in any way.

Offline DarkNoddy

• Soldier
  • BunnehMastah
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 10:24:35 pm »
Soldat ^^ The only time I play Liero is when I'm at school :S no DirectX on the shit computers there :D

Soldat. I've never even heard of Liero. I just googled it and it doesn't run with sound on Windows 2000 or XP. It's even worse on Service Pack 2, which I have. Looks like I'm not getting it. :)

Google For LieroX :)
----Get µTorrent here! - Torrent Tutorial----  
The sum of all fears: 01945

Offline Rambo_6

• Camper
  • Banned
    • (Adam Whitby) What where you're freinds doing on my server earlier?!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 11:09:54 pm »
Worms: Armageddon and Soldat go hand in hand.

Liero can go sit in a corner.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 02:04:38 am »
... Liero is fun from time to time, but really just does not stand up to Soldat at all in any way.
And @Rambo_6:

Have you tried modifying its weapons?

If you have the patience, it is infinitely superior to Soldat in every way mod-wise. I've made bomb-dropping rockets (titled "Bomber Larpa," even more powerful than the default), a weapon called "Atomic Strike" (randomly drops nuclear shells all across the map—absolutely impossible to predict locations of explosions), gamma rays, siege cannons, flame canisters, even demonic swarms that launch seemingly living rockets with erratic movement paths. I even made supernovas and near-impenetrable dirt fortresses. The dirt in levels is so compacted and reload times & fire rates I established in such a way that all of these seeming superweapons are actually well-balanced. :P

Damage? Yes. Plus it's not affected by the variable Speed factor, so you can have fun with that.
Speed? Yes. You can even control whether it bounces or explodes upon impact of ground or worm. Gravity can be managed as well, and you can even stick a - in there (I've made Negative Guns and Reverse Bombs which direct upwards to hit an enemy above you).
FireInterval? A necessity among all modifiable shooters, no? Same with Ammo and ReloadTime.
BulletStyle... now that's where Liero really gets interesting. With Liero you can make your own BulletStyles and "SubBulletStyles" (the particles/shrapnel which explosions break into, or even the "particle" bombs launched from the main projectile which in turn drop their own camaraderie. Heck, I've even made a one-of-a-kind called an Everlaster which keeps exploding with the code that the shrapnel produced is itself over and over again, which can only be removed by disappearing when there are too many other particles on the screen).
MovementAcc? Heck yeah, that's in there.  Bink? Bah; no, but easily worked out by Distribution (the maximum angle for all projectiles fired to be in; you don't want a perfect stream of projectiles flying in the exact same curved line every time, right?).

Plus the destructible terrain ;D It's also really fun with a friend, being splitscreen, but
1. it's not online and the default AI sucks if you don't tweak it,
2. it doesn't run on any NT-based computers (a.k.a. XP / 2000) and is DOS,
3. it totally lacks default scenery or maps (they're randomly generated unless you use one of those fanmade map editors), and
4. the graphics' filetypes are incredibly difficult to work with, unfortunately. :-\

It's insanely awesome for experimenting with different varieties of weaponry, tho'. So much can be achieved that Soldat could never possibly have (I wouldn't dare say "Crimson Glory," tho' :P).

@DarkNoddy: all Liero clones suck. They all are too fast and jerky, and you can modify NONE of them like you can the original Liero, which was its forte.

I found Liero before Soldat. They both rock in their own ways.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 04:05:30 am by Keron Cyst »

Offline Captain Ben

• Camper
  • "forum's-rebellious-cool-guy"
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 02:19:15 am »
Rarg, this is like going onto a Xbox forum and asking whether an Xbo 360 or PS3 is better :/

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 03:56:06 am »
Neither. Wii FTW.

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 04:48:35 am »

It's really too bad you don't like Liero at all...

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 05:40:02 am »
i found Liero first. The real liero not the "Liero Xtreme stuff"
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline ElephantHunter

• Retired Administrator
  • Camper
  • Third President
    • - home of the admins -
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 07:08:44 am »
I found LieroAI and installed it at the linux machines at our school so we could play it multiplayer. Real cool stuff.
Everything you have done in life is measured by the DASH on your gravestone.
Stop wasting time.
Make your dash count.

Offline Liber Lupus

• Soldier
  • shoulddrinkmore
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 07:55:49 am »
I found Liero way before I found Soldat. I played it with my friend on his old DOS. That's where I found Liero. And thanks to Liero, years later, Soldat.

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 08:28:37 am »
I found Liero way before I found Soldat.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006, 08:52:14 am »
Neither.
So your post above was a dream?

Soldat for me. I have looked up Liero, and while it appears interesting and fun in its own way, I don't think it has the good and well tuned gameplay Soldat has.

Offline xtishereb

• Flagrunner
  • I swear, my chainsaw killed you on its own.
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 09:19:34 am »
I found Soldat first. Well, I didn't find it, one of my friends did and linked me to it.

Technically, I've never played Liero. I've played LieroX, which I guess is pretty much the same thing (low rez, insane weapons). I'ma go play Liero through DOSBox right now and see how different it is. Maybe later I'll get a clone or the original for my Linux machine. Put it right next to Liquid Wars.
<3*xwd
love conquers all

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2006, 10:38:55 am »
lol, Vij. Nice quote manipulation :P @You and Mr. Domino:

Quote from: Keron Cyst
They both rock in their own ways.

EDIT Oh! I see. You were both basing your posts off of my response to Captain Ben. I was talking about the next-gen. consoles there ;D

Heheh. In no way is that post a dream, man. If you can manage to get ahold of an older computer, I can send you the Liero weapon mod if you want.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 10:40:52 am by Keron Cyst »

Offline Wormdundee

• Soldier
  • Ruger what?
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 12:09:38 pm »
O man, Liero, what a great game.

I think I might be the only person left on here from the original Liero community though. Liero is great for one computer, 2 player action. As mentioned by Keron Cyst, the possibilities for weapons are just nuts, and it had a really great community too.

For playing it online there were a buttload of options. There was LieroAI, Nex7+, ALC, YALC, Wurmz!, and now there's Liero Xtreme and Gusanos (which is in v. 0.9 now i think). The only decent one was wurmz! though. Pretty much the original liero with online capability and built in maps.

Check out Gusanos though, that's the clone that all the Liero vets follow. They're pretty much all haters on Liero Xtreme.

Offline MWTBDLTR

• Major
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2006, 02:12:13 pm »
Wel alot of the kids at school played liero so i started playing that pretty heavily for a while.  then i got bored of that, saw soldat featured on Tech TV'S free play friday, wrote it down, lost what i wrote it on, found it 2 months later, downloaded, and am not completly and utterly addicted
.:*OC*:. MWTBDLTR