Author Topic: Demonic's map-making method  (Read 5536 times)

Offline Chakra

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
Demonic's map-making method
« on: April 18, 2006, 11:22:02 am »
Ok, I've decided to share my easy, fast and fairly nice method of map making.
 You'll need Markjp's MapMaker+. Start the mapmaker, and make something like this:

-See her? That little square will build you your maps. I make maps out of 15-20 squares like that myself. Learn to love her.

After you've got that lil square, start using the divide polygon tool. Shift+right click near the outer surface of the polygon. Do that with all four a few times, and you'll get something like this:

-Now here comes the tricky part. Depending on what elevation you choose for the terrain, you have to choose the shading elevation aswell. Imagine a line like this:

-Time to get on with the shading. The top of the surface should be colour A. Colour the middle of the form with a nice colour that fits the theme of the map. The bottom colours should be darker, that's the way to light. Use the colour brush tool, it's the mappers best friend.

-Great, now that's progress. Time to place another form like that next to the last one. Don't forget to keep the elevation you planned, otherwise you'll get something weird. This also concludes this guide. The following two pictures will help you in how to place forms like that next to each other.

Topic and tutorial originally created by DeMonIc
MM; seriously Chakra, stop the fisting
Yes, I'm still alive.

Offline H31MU7

• Major
  • BOOM HEADSHOT!!!
Re: Demonic's map-making method
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 10:42:42 am »
Nice.. now some how I got to do that.

Offline viggoloniggolo

• Camper
  • maplord
    • Soldat Mappers League
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 10:46:31 am »
whats the point of this uglyness?

first step isn't making a box, but drawing the map plan into your notebook or onto a piece of paper, that is always step 1.

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 01:53:41 pm »
Oi vig, it's an old tutorial, maps used to look very different back then.

IMO, it is a great tutorial for MM+.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline Vltava

• Camper
  • Mr Avocado
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 02:02:17 pm »

first step isn't making a box, but drawing the map plan into your notebook or onto a piece of paper, that is always step 1.

Vig, this is specified for MM+, and it does not creat ugliness. This was made before your mother was conceived by that derelict. It's a very helpful guide for those mappers like GD who are much too accustomed to the MM+ interface to switch to PolyWorks. And I bet that when Demonic created this, he intended for the mapper to already have a sketch, whether in mind or matter.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 03:25:05 pm by Vltava »

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 04:29:14 pm »
You can do this in polyworks too...

Offline R@NDOM

• Soldier
  • Banned
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 03:41:50 am »

Some newer players don't know how to shade *points at ThomasMortfog* and this could help them make better maps.

Offline viggoloniggolo

• Camper
  • maplord
    • Soldat Mappers League
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 09:31:51 am »
ok gotcha, I love to point fingers at thomasmortfog, he's so lame and I'm still happy what happened to his latest map.

Offline swebonny

• Camper
  • BUahh...
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 01:58:16 am »
Great guide as i said before...when Polyworks didnt was created :D

Offline -WildBill-

• Camper
  • Extra-Medium
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 07:57:57 pm »
is it just me or does it look like you have a few disconnected polys in your last screenshot there?

ok gotcha, I love to point fingers at thomasmortfog, he's so lame and I'm still happy what happened to his latest map.

that was un-called for...
lol siggeh deleted for the 7th time! that's like a new record or something, ain't it?

Offline ThomasMortfog

• Soldier
  • hi
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 11:01:50 pm »
Wow that's sad you guys. Flaming me because I don't make good maps. It was actually a good map, it's just that you didn't download and see, I played on LAN with 5 friends on a hosted server, and we had a hell of a great time. Lots of strategy involved.

Vig, your lame. You are a lame, twisted, goth person, and I hope you die. All you think about is people dying and blood and death and OH GOD IS STUPID LET'S MAKE MAPS OLDKSDOGJK. Disgusting.

Random, don't call me a noob because I can't shade. I'm most likely a better player than you, and not a forumwhore either.

Offline jolle

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 05:12:46 am »
how can i make a square [M2] [medikit] [medikit] [Bravoguy] [Bravoguy] [saw] [socom] [Minigun]
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 05:16:50 am by jolle »

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 08:06:19 pm »
Don't spam with the soldat graphics.

Just put two polygons against each other. Two triangles = square. C'mon, now. :P