Author Topic: ctf_Guava (Updated)  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
ctf_Guava (Updated)
« on: October 08, 2008, 11:54:37 pm »
Hello, I'd like feedback on my newest map, Ctf_Guava before finalizing and releasing it.

Get ctf_Guava Here!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 09:15:28 pm by Wraithlike »

Offline KamikazeDuck

• Camper
Re: ctf_Guava
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 01:15:47 am »
Looks very nice as always, the layout is great.

I found when playing that the bots didn't use the top route often enough, making it fairly easy to run through it and capture the flag. This probably wouldn't be a problem with more bots though (I was playing 5 on 5).

Anyway, that's the only thing I can see which might need work.
JUNGLE | ART | PIRATE | RADIATION | DESERT | UFO

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 08:38:59 am »
Hypersuper smooth map, bad thing with hypersupersmooth is that I can't see playing with m79 or barret there, probably autos and ruger... I think u could make middle route more tunnelish which would better for one/semi shotters.

Bottom route seems not needed, I see u've placed medics there to make it more interesting but I think that's not good enough. I think bottom route could be deleted or it could be connected with middle route.

I would delete the top medics. They encourage boosting behind.

So here's my suggestions

Knowing ur experience with mapping, I'm not liking the looks, map looks natural and unnatural at same time, especially the trees don't fit the map.

Offline ElSpec774

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 10:12:12 am »
Bottom route is useless. 

I think the flag platforms are placed too high as well, was somewhat hard for me to reach them from the middle route.

Top route encourages boosting, add invisible polygons or more of those OPC polygons.

Since it only came with the .PMS file, I'm missing the texture, so I don't really know the theme for the map.  I think those trees are unfitting.

I can see the EFC dying quite often and having the flag fall out of gameplay due to those OPC polygons as well.  Extra caution will be required. 

And I also attached a picture of possible sniping opportunity.

And if you're trying to manipulate CTF_Marionette here with the openness and such, you've failed.

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 10:41:38 am »
Few things I noticed playing this on my own (pure theory):
- Too obvious boost above the whole map (too many routes by then if you count roof-top-mid-midlow-low probably)
- Randomness of the spawns would be too determining (lets say the 2 middle guys get owned, if they both spawn low = cap for the middle guys that owed you, unless midlow pulls a miracle)
- There's a polybug in the middle bridge, right at the center (sometimes you get stuck, sometimes boosted when you land on it)
- What's the actual texture? It used some when I opened it with Soldat but when I tried with mapmaker it whined about 'bubblywater.bmp' missing

Here's a drawing with the possible routes right now imo:
http://www.imageput.com/hosted/65338routes.png

As usual, looking forward to play test 3v3

Offline ElSpec774

• Soldier
Re: ctf_Guava (Updated)
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 10:28:55 pm »
Much better now, although it now feels a bit too open.  The map is rather fast-paced, so it shouldn't be a problem.

The only flaw I still see with this map is the deadly polygons between the space in the middle spray blocker.  The problem could be that if an EFC wants to escape using that route, he/she might accidentally touch it and have the flag fall loose.  Playing this map for the first time, you wouldn't be aware of that and it would a pain.  Suggest changing it to an ice polygon, this way, an EFC can gain speed if he/she jets onto it correctly.  Would make gameplay elements more interesting.

Other than that, everything else looks fine.  I think you should post your future maps in this board like you did with this one.  I hate to have a near-flawless map released and then having it be updated.  Gives you more work and me more testing.  Saves both of use time and trouble.

And one more thing, for this map and future ones, clear the scenery list.  It makes the file size smaller and the map will load faster.

I also did some texture experiments to see which default would work best.  If you remove the trees, banana.bmp would work, have a barren theme.  Grejfrut.bmp also works as well.

Now that I've notice, this plays like a smaller version of CTF_Marionette.  Not as good, but it comes pretty close.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 10:32:04 pm by ElSpec774 »

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 10:33:43 pm »
In one of your reply about the sniping opportunities the only player collides bridges have, it's pretty much a small window of opportunity. It should only impact the gameplay enemy flagger-wise.

The layout needs some work, though, but being me, I like the simplicity of it. And as Suowarrior said, the map looks unnatural and natural at the same time. Even though some of the sceneries seem to contrast with the polygon colouring, it isn't all that distracting.

Should most maps really be natural?

Offline ElSpec774

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 10:47:56 pm »
I will agree that it is small, it's still possible to get a few lucky kills.  I had several ones myself with my faithful M72 Law.

As I see it, the layout now is fine.  I don't think it can be improved even further.  When you make a map and you realize that the layout can no longer be modified without changing the gameplay and flow in a negative tone, the map's been perfected.

I really like the theme with this map, it's very original when compared to Wraithlike's previous maps.  Good to see this fellow making something original and that plays great.

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 10:49:50 pm »
The Texture Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming. It's all being taken into consideration.

Offline ElSpec774

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 10:59:20 pm »
bubblywater.bmp is a pretty ugly looking texture Wraithlike.  Although it works fine for this map, I wouldn't use it.

And I'd also like to apologize for my behavior in HTF_Mythos.  While-else my posts were serious, I didn't have to do it so negatively and make it seem as if I was only attempting to bash it.  It really is a nice map, but I don't like it.  I still feel it has too many spawns and the squid only makes movement in the central part difficult.