Author Topic: Polyworks Basic Scenerising Tutorial  (Read 4338 times)

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
Polyworks Basic Scenerising Tutorial
« on: December 24, 2006, 02:54:46 pm »
Introduction:
A. What is on a map?

Ingame there are basically 4 visible graphics.
The soldat player which includes his gun and ammo.
The ammo and bonus crates.
The 3 types of scenery.
The Polygons[/i].

B. Settings

1.Three different ways of placing scenery:

a. Behind Everything: Behind polgons, other scenery (1), the ammo crates, and the soldat player.
b. Behind Map: Behind the polygons, but in front of everything else. (1)(2)
c. In front of everything: In front of everything, all scenery, polygons, crates, and the soldat player.

(1) If a scenery is set a certain setting and is placed over another scenery with the same settings, the one
placed last will show up in front.
(2) Is in front of "behind everything" but behind "In front of everything".
II. Placing the scenery:

Welcome to the scenery placement tutorial with pictures! Ok this will teach you hopefully a little bit about what I call "Scenery Placement". Ok lets get started. First lets start off with some grass in the background. We are going to pick grass 1.bmp for the scenery and set it to back as seen below:

Next, we are going to set the color. Notice I changed the opacity to 50% and the color to a darker green.

Now lets place the scenery nice and high so we will make sure it has enough room to display some stuff in front of it.

Lets place some crates. I did not include a picture, however the two crates on the right are set to back and opacity 75%. I also made them a little smaller. The one to the left is set to a lighter brown and opacity 100% and also set to middle. By setting it to middle it will be behind the next grass scenery but in front of the soldat. Tricky isnt it.

Ok now let us get on with the last grass scenery. Choose a lighter green and 100% opacity. (Where do you ever see "See-Through" grass anyway?). Anyway now make sure the grass is set to in front. This will make sure the grass is the first layer, in front of polygons, the soldat, and other sceneries and objects.

Now place the scenery a little lower than everything so you can see the tipsof the rest of the scenery we placed beforehand. See the picture below for details.

Alright now that we are done with that, its time to test it in the game. Now to show you the magic of 3d scenery placement just look at the screenshot below. Looks nice doesnt it?

III. Deleting Scenery

A. Deleting Scenery you just placed.

There is an option to delete a scenery you just placed. If you dont like the way a certain scenery looks after it is placed, just press "Delete Last" and it will delete the scenery. This is useful for places where there is stacked scenery. You can lose a lot of work if you dont use this button, or you place another scenery while trying to decide whether the last one was good or not. Once the second scenery is placed, you can no longer use this button to delete the first scenery.

B. Deleting Old Scenery

Theres not too much to this but keep in mind that where you first clicked is where you will have click again to delete. When you stretch scenery, it is often tricky to find where this set point is, so the best thing to do is get ready to click delete and click random places on the map near the scenerys corner. Start near the edge and then gradually move yourself out.

Congratulations you have completed the scenery placement tutorial!
*special thx to sml*
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 03:06:50 pm by Horve »

Offline Mothafix

• Camper
Re: Polyworks Basic Scenerising Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 02:23:01 pm »
This is just a complete rip-off from sml site.
Edit: What's the point of posting sml mapping tutorial here? Starhunting.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 02:25:08 pm by Mothafix »

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 02:25:31 pm »
Yes, and why on earth divide the entire thing into four topics. -_-

Offline Red Neck

• Soldier
  • in game: >RE< Monomaniac .:|FA|:.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 06:55:19 pm »
please excuse the original comment, i was un-understanding of what he was saying meant, but now that i have done some exploring of PW. I now understandwhathe is saying (also at the time i couldnt find the pallete). Thank you for posting the tut Horve.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 03:49:41 pm by Red Neck »

Offline SoulSnipa

• Major
    • Soldat Mappers League
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 07:16:32 am »
did you attempt to read it or just look at the pictures? and I actually appreciate he took the time to put this onto the forums.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 06:16:15 am »
That's a good idea to make the grass and put the crates... i'll use it! ;D

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 09:04:38 am »
argh fix few things:
1)  Mention in the first part that you can change what scenery is on top of what by going to Edit -> Arrange in polyworks.  The order of the sceneries of the same 'type' (front, middle, or back) is based on its DEPTH which can be changed in the aforementioned way.  Also, say that the order is called DEPTH.
2)  Mention to turn on all windows in polyworks to get all the available tools:  Windows -> Show All
3)  The part where you say all the 4 types of visible graphics, you might wanna add "weapons" like when someone drops a weapon.  I didn't test it out, but that probably would go with ammo and bonus crates - just a good guess...

- here's my input for this :D
thnx Horve
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 09:06:25 am by zyxstand »
Can't think of anything original to put here...