Author Topic: meh  (Read 5077 times)

Offline m00`

• Soldier
  • hai guys
meh
« on: June 20, 2006, 04:40:57 am »
me and my dad dont have a really good relatonship, and every time he sees me he says somthing with the word 'study', seriously I cant go ONE F*CKEN DAY without him saying somthing stupid like:

"ARE YOU STUDYING FOR YOUR 10 EXAMS?" (WHICH ARE GOD DAMN A FEW MONTHS AWAY, and no one has any idea yet exactly what they need to study for it)

I cant stand it, he thinks life revolves around studying and getting good marks in subjects that shouldn't matter (maths), seriously when the F*CK am I going to use surds in life? I have never had a decent conversation with my dad, he either makes fun of my marks (yells at me) or tells me to study
cool

Offline Aquarius

• Soldier
Re: meh
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 05:14:43 am »
Your father is right, listen to him. Study.

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 05:25:55 am »
That's the sort of thing one has to learn for oneself. I think I'm learning it.

Why the hell am I wasting my life at this job when I could be studying to DO something with the rest of it?

Offline m00`

• Soldier
  • hai guys
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 05:35:35 am »
Your father is right, listen to him. Study.

I do study, but I dont think it has to be the #1 priority in life, all the stupid math teachers say "THERE IS MATHS EVERYWHERE SO YOU NEED TO LEARN IT" yah I am really going to look at a tree and then an apple on the floor and work out that trigonometry bullsh!t

That's the sort of thing one has to learn for oneself. I think I'm learning it.

Why the hell am I wasting my life at this job when I could be studying to DO something with the rest of it?

lets go study hardcore maths that we're going to forget in a few weeks!

I find tests to be the lamest way of examining students, I mean you study your ass of for a subject then you forget the stuff the next day, so what good is a test? Its only a number that shows how good you were at somthing before
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 05:40:13 am by m00` »
cool

Offline Milkman Dan

• Major(1)
  • Jesus </3 you
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 05:40:10 am »
He wants you to succeed in life, m00`.

Just trying to help. But I guess making fun of your marks isn't much help.

Offline m00`

• Soldier
  • hai guys
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 05:40:42 am »
useless test marks wont make me succeed in life
cool

Offline n00bface

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 05:42:31 am »
So young, so naïve...

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 05:43:05 am »
If you're forgetting what you study the next day, then you're studying the wrong things.

...Well, I was assuming that you're talking about post-secondary education, so I might be wrong.

Offline m00`

• Soldier
  • hai guys
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 05:47:31 am »
If you're forgetting what you study the next day, then you're studying the wrong things.

that was sortof an exageration, I meant forgetting stuff before they will ever be useful to you
cool

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 05:50:41 am »
My point is, I don't think it's a great idea to get into post-secondary education unless you have a reason. That's the reason I didn't right away; I simply had no motivation to, and I wasn't about to spend 15 grand on something that took 4 years to earn and I was never going to use anyway. IMO, if you're going to be in college or whatever, you should be spending your time and energy on things that interest you.

Just my two cents.

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 06:06:28 am »
m00, if your good at something, and I mean really good at something like math, then you don't need to study it (even though you don't have to study for math anyways >_>). But if your doing crap in science.....do some studying?

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline Chakra

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 06:41:52 am »
So young, so naïve...

I'll never quote n00bface again. I swear.
MM; seriously Chakra, stop the fisting
Yes, I'm still alive.

Offline Captain Ben

• Camper
  • "forum's-rebellious-cool-guy"
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 07:08:48 am »
I'd rather put a smart larrikin in my university who got a high mark on some generic schooltests than some kid who did crap all. Same with resumes/interviews for work and the like. I'd rahter hire a worker who was good at the work, not just do it all halfarsed.
Yeah. my Dad is like that, although he doesn't even care. Booted me off to Kumon and yells at me to study it everyday. He also makes fun of my marks and is a food toucher. Gives me the shits, so I just bite down hard and do it.

Just remember who gets to choose the nursing home.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 07:14:49 am »
So young, so naïve...

I'll never quote n00bface again. I swear.

same

Offline kingkitty

• Soldier
  • Yes!
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 08:16:54 am »
Psshh in Japanese and Korean schools, you have to study your brains out, or you could suffer the consequences, like not going to a good middle or high school,or their families being shrouded in absolute dishonor, or being ravingly spanked with a whip, on a daily basis.

Nvm, the fact is really that these students study from night to day, 24/7. Be grateful that you aint studying at midnight...unless you are..if so...then that sucks...

I'm away.

Offline Spyder

• Soldier
  • Member Since 19 Oct 2002
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 09:54:01 am »
m00, what are you doing on this forums, shouldn't you be studying for your 10 exams?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 11:43:50 am by Spyder »

Offline Rambo_6

• Camper
  • Banned
    • (Adam Whitby) What where you're freinds doing on my server earlier?!
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 10:36:30 am »
Hurry! Study!

Offline Lapis Lazuli

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • One Hand Clapping
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 11:43:23 am »
Einstein was totally incapable of performing math.
Steam ¤ Skype ¤ Soldat Wiki ¤ Need Help?
"Every thought you produce, anything you say, any action you do,
it bears your signature." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 12:06:30 pm »
well, I can't say much...I dropped outa school in Year 9 (3rd form, for you americans, I think). I told myself "Nobody is going to tell me what to do in life, I'm going to go through life like any normal person and if I make a mistake, then Ill learn from it". Therefore, when someone trys to shove "Go To School, and get some grades" bullshit down my neck, I tell them to F*ck off. All I can say to you is...Do What You want, and learn from the mistakes you make. It's wat makes life so interesting!

(your dad sounds like an Ass btw..No Offence)
Just another soul to burn.

Offline Aquarius

• Soldier
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 12:29:42 pm »
I tell them to F*ck off. All I can say to you is...Do What You want, and learn from the mistakes you make.

I have another advise: Do what you want, and learn from the mistakes of other people. That's what smart people do.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 12:33:52 pm by Aquarius »

Offline YoMammasMamma

• Major(1)
  • I'm also Stanley Decker.
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 02:12:41 pm »
You also have to keep in mind that you're learning more in math class than just math.

While you're learning trigonometry, chemistry, and literature, you're also gaining skills and knowledge in problem-solving, abstraction, communication, citizenship, time management, work ethic, and God-knows-what-else.

And Aquarius is right: you had ought to listen to your dad.  If you've already got everything down pat, then heck--move ahead to the uncovered material.  It'll help to make everything more coherent when your teacher covers it later.  I myself also like making tables and charts with information from the text books and such; the act of reading everything, organizing it, and writing it down helps to get the information to "stick" better, plus you end up with convenient references that you can understand effortlessly.

Also, sit down with your dad and let him know that you're feeling antagonized by him; parents often don't realize just what kind of effect they're having on their kids when they try to give them a push in the right direction.  My parents tried to help me along in a similar fashion, but it (combined with other factors) only made me fall into depression from too much stress.
"Oh yeah?  Well...  Yo mamma!"

"Oh yeah!?  ...Uh, Yo Mamma's Mamma!"

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 02:23:16 pm »
if you plan to go to college, or get into a decent one, i suggest you study. I dont know what grade you are in, but from about highschool(maybe not really fresh. and soph.) and up, your grades DO matter
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2006, 03:30:20 pm »

Offline A

• Soldier
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2006, 05:12:06 pm »
i agree with you moo. my dad recently retired, and ever since then all he ever asks me is "HAVE YOU DONE ALL YOUR HOMEWORK?"

it gets annoying. fast.

Offline frogboy

• Soldier
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2006, 12:48:47 am »
I'd rather put a smart larrikin in my university who got a high mark on some generic schooltests than some kid who did crap all. Same with resumes/interviews for work and the like. I'd rahter hire a worker who was good at the work, not just do it all halfarsed.
Exactly. The careers teacher at my school said that doing an engineering course in uni can get you jobs outside of engineering because of the relative difficulty of engineering, and that people who do courses which are easier are basically stuck inside the area that they studied.

You definitely need to study to pass the HSC. In IPT, our class has finished the whole syllabus except for two option topics, and the rest of the year up until the HSC is studying and doing past year papers. Studying now means you can study properly in years 11 and 12.