Author Topic: R released  (Read 53891 times)

Offline Lex

• Major(1)
Re: R released
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2006, 07:52:42 am »
I got past the first part (getting through the door with the three yellow/green balls) pretty easily, but the next part is horrible because of the terrible screen lag that occurs every second or two, which makes me completely unable to dodge that homing thing for long enough to lose it.  What's wrong with this game?  I have a 2.4GHz AMD processor, a GeForce 6800XT, and 2GB of RAM.  No 2D game should be so intensive that it gives my PC mad screen lag.  With Worms Armageddon and Soldat, I get absolutely no screen lag.  You must have written some pretty bad code this time.  Does it run smoothly on your computer?  If so, what system specs do you have?  If not, how are you able to outrun that homer?

My computer is considerably worse than that, and I have no problem running this. I'd guess that teh problem is on your side, as apposed to teh game.

The Worms World Party frontend (which uses DirectX) does something strange which makes it extremely slow with GeForce 6X00 video cards.  Perhaps this has something to do with that.

Oh, actually, every time it screen lags, there's a full grey flash on my right monitor.  It may have something to do with my having 2 monitors, and it assumes 1 monitor.  Michal, do you have any comments on that?  What could it be doing?  No other full-screen game has drawn to my right monitor without my telling it to.
Even my old computer (I dunno the specs) using Windows 98 could handle Worms World Party.  ::)
Don't roll your eyes about Worms games at a 7-year hardcore wormer.  :P  Yes, WA and WWP were designed for Windows 98 and older hardware.  However, there are bugs with these newer video drivers/cards (especially the GeForce 6X00 series with the latest ForceWare).  A similar situation may be happening with R.

Offline swebonny

• Camper
  • BUahh...
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2006, 08:53:34 am »
w00t this is so coool :D

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2006, 09:00:03 am »
To be honest, this is quite pathetic compared to Soldat. It isn't a present I'd want to receive, I don't believe this is the same Michal that made Soldat. It's so basic and in-unique. Makes me sad.  :'(
You sir, are an idiot.

Offline Sotija

• Veteran
  • Sotija
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2006, 10:24:03 am »
Woo im downlaoding this RIGHT NOW!

Offline Anna

• Soldier
    • my dev blog
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2006, 11:24:55 am »
To be honest, this is quite pathetic compared to Soldat. It isn't a present I'd want to receive, I don't believe this is the same Michal that made Soldat. It's so basic and in-unique. Makes me sad.  :'(
You sir, are an idiot.

I hate to say it, but I agree with Dolfo. I don't mean to diminish the work that went into it and I know it's unfinished, but in its current form R is just lacking in every area, especially controls and level design. I don't think I even played for more than 15 minutes. The gameplay and memory issues make this game not worth playing. Whatever humor is in it is somewhat crude and random and not particularly accessible. I suspect that this Dolny guy is the only one who really gets it. The sucking up in this thread is pretty funny though.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 11:26:37 am by Anna »

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2006, 12:10:06 pm »
You sir, are an idiot.

I hate to say it, but I agree with Dolfo. I don't mean to diminish the work that went into it and I know it's unfinished, but in its current form R is just lacking in every area, especially controls and level design. I don't think I even played for more than 15 minutes. The gameplay and memory issues make this game not worth playing. Whatever humor is in it is somewhat crude and random and not particularly accessible. I suspect that this Dolny guy is the only one who really gets it. The sucking up in this thread is pretty funny though.

Dolfo

It is unfinished and meant to be something new, regardless of how long it makes you happy and amused.  It wasn't meant to be anything special and is meant to be a basic kind of game.... that also isn't even finished.  The game isn't meant to be complete and totally amusing, though I believe that when finished it would be cool (I know it won't be finished)

I think that Dolny is the only one in this thread who doesn't get it and I'm actually quite surprised with Anna's understanding too.  The point isn't to provide a game that is like "zomg this kicks ass!!" but rather the gesture of "surprise! here's something I used to work on that I think you'll get a kick out of!"

Offline Anna

• Soldier
    • my dev blog
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2006, 12:22:38 pm »
I think that Dolny is the only one in this thread who doesn't get it and I'm actually quite surprised with Anna's understanding too.  The point isn't to provide a game that is like "zomg this kicks ass!!" but rather the gesture of "surprise! here's something I used to work on that I think you'll get a kick out of!"

You're probably right, but I have this disproportional sense of disappointment and I feel like whining.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2006, 12:42:16 pm »
You're too orderly, Anna ;D I think it's great, and people like lpzie would love this since it has so much random humor and weird stuff; I think the point of those scenes is that you aren't supposed to get it, and people like Dolny are just as clueless as you and I. It shares the sheer craziness and hilarity of FLCL, or something. I don't care much about the bugs and stuff that needs to be worked on; the concepts posed in the levels are pretty creative, esp. given what I expect was MM's short free time to code this.

I think it's a great Christmas present. :)

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2006, 02:54:32 pm »
This game is boring, it isn't at all suprising to see most of you acting like total fanboys, but This isn't up to par with soldat on any level, some idiot running around with an umbrella isn't a game, it is not funny, and it most certainly is not entertaining on any level
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Michal Marcinkowski

• Creator of Soldat
  • Flagrunner
  • I ain't got time to bleed.
    • Soldat home page
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2006, 03:38:47 pm »
Some more notes:
- this game isn't anything like Soldat, so DON'T EXPECT anything
- NO SPOILERS!
- the game might lag on slower computers, sorry for that, maybe try windowed mode

You're probably right, but I have this disproportional sense of disappointment and I feel like whining.

This game wasn't ever ment to be for the public, to be popular and stuff. I would love it if people would "get it" but if not I'm totally OK with that and accept your whining. The game is entertaining for at least 2 people (me and Dolny) and if more want to come to the twisted world of R then they are welcome.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 03:40:39 pm by Michal Marcinkowski »

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2006, 03:46:35 pm »
This game is boring, it isn't at all suprising to see most of you acting like total fanboys, but This isn't up to par with soldat on any level, some idiot running around with an umbrella isn't a game, it is not funny, and it most certainly is not entertaining on any level

They're not acting like fanboys, they just have a wider range than you of what they find fun and/or funny.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2006, 03:58:50 pm »

ARRGGH! NOT LIKE SOLDAT! NO BALLOONS IN SOLDAT! NO VEHICLES IN SOLDAT!

Expecting this "side project" to be on the level of Soldat, at game which has seen continuous development over about five years or so, is ridiculous. It's on par with expecting an Xbox Live Arcade title to compete with a full disc release, or a game company's cellphone offering to be on the level of its regular output.

R is an okay game for what it is. I can definitely see it being disappointing in light of the delayed release of Crimson Glory or the new Soldat version, but that's no reason to blindly bash a game. If you don't like it, that's fine, but to whine like a kid and call people entertained by it "fanboys" is just being stupid. If and when Crimson Glory is released, will its fans be "fanboys" as well if it doesn't measure up to Soldat in your eyes and you don't like it? Please.

Offline Anna

• Soldier
    • my dev blog
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2006, 04:08:07 pm »
Some more notes:
- this game isn't anything like Soldat, so DON'T EXPECT anything
- NO SPOILERS!
- the game might lag on slower computers, sorry for that, maybe try windowed mode

This game wasn't ever ment to be for the public, to be popular and stuff. I would love it if people would "get it" but if not I'm totally OK with that and accept your whining. The game is entertaining for at least 2 people (me and Dolny) and if more want to come to the twisted world of R then they are welcome.

My expectations were definitely too high. That's what I get for deifying people on the internet ::)

I might have made an effort to get used to the gameplay if it wasn't for the memory problems. Maybe I'll have another look at the source code.

Offline grand_diablo

• Soldier
  • Veteran of Cartography
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2006, 04:46:16 pm »
I must actually say, that I do like this game. I got to level 4 or 5 now, and the only thing I really miss so far are checkpoints or a possibility to save during a level.

The graphics fit the whole weird story (it seems a bit like Michal had his hands on LSD when inventing it), the controls are quite intuitive and simple once you get used to them. Only when it comes to exact landing it tends to overreact a bit which leads to impreciseness.

Of course, eventhough the graphis fit this weird setting, there is stuff missing and everything is quite empty. But hey - its unfinished.

Well, the level design is imbalanced, when talking about the order of the levels, the difficulty is quite random and the levels are not ordered by their difficulty, but thats fine with me.

Imo, comparing it to Soldat is a bad idea. The only thing both games share is the fact that theyre 2d and "platform like". Now R is a singleplayer only game with a story and levels but without weapons. Now Soldat's singleplayer part is reduced to rather stupid bots, there are no tasks except what the gamemode requires you to do - no missions or something.

I know a lot of freeware platformers, and even in this state R is better than the majority of them, since most are done in some random drag and drop game creation system and dont really play well. Surely there are also better ones, but theyre finished, and I believe if R wouldve been finished it came close to them.

Imo there is no point in or reason for whining, because the game fulfills its promises: its unfinished and fully playable. The rest is a matter of taste, but youre not on these forums for liking R but for liking Soldat.

If I had the coding skills to do so, Id try to make something out of this R-version. But as I lack those skills, maybe someone will try to finish it.
"Remember, remember the 5th of November, the gunpowder treason and plot. I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot." (V in "V for Vendetta")

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2006, 05:18:17 pm »
Quote from: grand_diablo
... maybe someone will try to finish it.
Anna!

Offline Foln

• Major(1)
  • ARRRRRR!!!
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2006, 06:39:06 pm »
mhhh I downloaded the game now and played some levels ( till 2th ^^)
It's fun but hard too. Already at the first level I needed something like 10 trials.... However, the controlls are nice, the fast moving of the fat guy makes it harder, but that is good.(hard is better than "need 2 minutes to play all levels games"!)
And it's a nice alternative to the other games.(ego shooters and something...)
I'm too tired to make more levels today. Will try to finish it maybe tomorrow.

PS: lol I love the dream. funny  :P and climbing is fun too. ;D
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 06:41:33 pm by Foln »

Offline Anna

• Soldier
    • my dev blog
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2006, 06:43:26 pm »
Anna!

I have my own projects to work on.

Offline The Red Guy

• Flagrunner
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2006, 06:47:43 pm »
Anna!
Someday someone would try to finish it.

Offline UGK

• Major
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2006, 10:39:29 pm »
Niccceee.
<n00bface> i like big droopy fittas

Offline Tallacaps

• Soldier
    • History surprises
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2006, 06:55:32 am »

I like the man with umbrella. The umbrella. The N way to go up.
I like the minimalistic aproach.

I don't like the size of the man with umbrella.

I don't know how to get the third yellow hexagon.  :(