Author Topic: Enemy Spotted!  (Read 6112 times)

Offline DarK

• Major(1)
  • .. Locked In, Locked On ..
Enemy Spotted!
« on: June 20, 2006, 07:57:06 am »

Hi all.

I noticed this section of the forum last night, and it got me thinking whilst trying to sleep.

We all know how much of a fast paced game soldat can be, and we all know how every millisecond in CTF matches are precious. Time is lost when typing in, or using the hotkeys to inform your team of where an enemy is approaching from (coupled with the fact you must move you fingers off the movement/action keys).
I believe that time lost would be minimised by having a key (maybe the middle mouse button) that when pushed displays 'Enemy' at the edge of all of your team member screens (as it does with your own team) relative to the angle they are from that player. This would only be done if there is an enemy under (or very close to) your target.
Of course this display of where the enemy is would only remain there for a second or so.
Further suggestions include displaying their distance next to 'Enemy' on the edge of the screen, although you'd have to decide what units to display this distance in (which i suppose could be calulated by taking the height of a soldat and relating this to the average male human height).

What do you think?
▫▪ The Main Thing Is To Keep The Main Thing The Main Thing ▪▫

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Re: Enemy Spotted!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 08:00:12 am »
so you mean that when one person sees an enemy, they can highlight them/"radio in" their location to their teammates, thus having something like "Enemy, 20m" show up at the left/right side of the screen, similar to how friendlies' names are displayed on the edge of the screen?

Offline chrono

• Soldier
  • Elite CTF
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 08:02:16 am »
If im understanding right, its a great idea
I decided to remove my signature, since jrgp was picking on me by sending me annoying PM's. - Chrono, Wednesday July 27, 2007

Offline DarK

• Major(1)
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 08:03:09 am »
Yes, FliesLikeABrick.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 08:05:33 am »
then yeah, I agree that it is a very good idea and very useful (I don't say  either of those very often)

Offline DarK

• Major(1)
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 08:08:03 am »
then yeah, I agree that it is a very good idea and very useful (I don't say  either of those very often)

I feel like you've knighted me... honored :D

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 08:32:12 am »
yeah pretty useful idea...  Congratulations:  even though this is your very first topic (in the new forums at least), you did not just create a useless or already developed topic like "VEHICLES" or something noobish like that (ps:  don't make a topic on vehicles - you WILL get flamed (getting flamed = bad!!!)).  Also, correct me if I'm wrong about you being new*

Bw, soldat already has measurement.  When you kill someone it shows you the time that the killing bullet was in the air and the distance it traveled in meters at the bottom of the screen.
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Beasticly

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 08:40:19 am »
Using taunts doesn't take that much time. I have my taunts set up so that I can say that there's an enemy coming from a certain direction (high, middle, or low) and how many are coming.

A good idea, but not really necessary. MM could spend his time implementing other ideas.

Edit: Errorz.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 08:50:09 am »
Yeah... now that I think about it I agree - also, if you're a fast typer you can get enough info across while you're in the air (from a jump or while falling).  Also, using abbreviations helps a lot like:  inc instead of incoming, or cap instead of capture...  In fact, I'm going to start a topic about a list of all abbreviations used in soldat rather frequently!
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 08:53:59 am »
the fact that this would show you the direction and distance to an enemy is far more useful than any taunts though.  If you're in the middle of a map and someone uses a taunt, you've got no idea where on the map they are relative to you

Offline cr4sh

• Major
  • rawr
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 09:30:20 am »
i kinda like it, although many players would have to get used to a completely new system (learning distances and such).  Giving a disance from the flag in a CTF match would be useful though.  But CTF and some inf would be the only game types that would really apply.
Although I am not sure how it will work in an open inf map where attackers can approach from all sides.  Angle maybe  :) ?

Also using taunts can be just as effective.  As you start to play more you can learn to estimate the location of the oposing team and a simple 'enemy spotted top route' works very well

Good idea though.

Offline DarK

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 09:43:03 am »
Also, correct me if I'm wrong about you being new*

You could say i'm new.. I was in 2Wai about a year back and haven't really played since then.

Also, I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to make this happen. It wouldn't be so much of a 'new system' (as cr4sh said), but rather a new element.

I code quite a lot, and i shouldn't think it too hard for MM to be able to add this little addition; he already has the same thing for players on the same team. I reckon good ol' MM could patch it together within the hour...

And thanks for the compliment about not posting n00b posts in the new forum.. after all, you wouldn't flick cigarette ash on your new carpet, would you!?  :P

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 09:53:54 am »
I like this idea, although mabye it can only be used say.. after you type something?

Offline YoMammasMamma

• Major(1)
  • I'm also Stanley Decker.
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 12:27:03 pm »
I support this idea, definitely; it might even get some amount of teamwork going in public servers...

...Nah, that'll never happen.  It's still a great idea, though!
"Oh yeah?  Well...  Yo mamma!"

"Oh yeah!?  ...Uh, Yo Mamma's Mamma!"

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 01:05:36 pm »
i def. think this idea is pretty cool. I would love to see this implemented, and maybe get some feedback from betatesters on how it worked out (assuming it ever gets tested of course) BTW....good job on the FLAB approval award...heres your plaque
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline ^_^

• Soldier
  • AKA Charlotte :-D
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 02:35:26 pm »
Great Idea, It would really come in handy. :)

also, um, how can you take actions and use them with the hotkeys? (like, /kill, ETC but wid da whole 'alt+a' thingymudumplins?)
In-Game names: Charlotte, Gin Fox, Agent Sonnata.
Current Mod Project: The Dark Lament.

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 02:57:53 pm »
the fact that this would show you the direction and distance to an enemy is far more useful than any taunts though.  If you're in the middle of a map and someone uses a taunt, you've got no idea where on the map they are relative to you
Well, I was gonna say 'no' to the idea, but your statement is very true. That makes the idea, not-so-useless!

YES!
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline Anubis

• Camper
  • The End is Near
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 03:39:28 pm »
i think this a great idea but only to an extent tho let's say when you spot an enemy and the distance thing comes up it should only last a few secs or something.....cuz then it would be abused badly.. and maybe a Sfx with this would be cool when an enemy is taged......

Offline Beasticly

• Major(1)
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 06:24:55 pm »
Really, in a game where it'll really matter, like a clan war nobody's going to be leaking. Basically seeing a friendly die (his name on your radar in red) can be used to the same effect as this. The person from the other team that killed him will likely run through that way and coupled with the dead team mates team chat you should be able to stop him before he gets to your flag.

Again, it's a good idea and all, but not really necessary. :)

Try using more specific taunts. If you put both what direction the enemy is coming from plus where he is you'll have a pretty good idea. For example - "Incoming enemy(ies) [Low] [Middle] would mean that there's an enemy coming in low and he's currently around the middle. Again, you can just use it with your radar and you'll have a pretty good idea where the enemy is coming from.

Offline BooBoo McBad

• Soldier
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 08:57:18 pm »
I don't know.

I am up for the idea teamwork-wise because it allows you to know where your mates are and how to help, but I think it gives away too much giving distance.

I am not up for it also because I think it ruins the suprise element.

Offline Fraggy

• Soldier
  • Mecha 0_o
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 06:28:49 am »
I don't know.

I am up for the idea teamwork-wise because it allows you to know where your mates are and how to help, but I think it gives away too much giving distance.

I am not up for it also because I think it ruins the suprise element.

Element of surprise?
he is already in sight!

the only thing is u can just strat randomly start pushing the mouse button and hope you spot a camper or something liek that.

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 06:36:04 am »
that would be easier clan taunts are just annoying to me.
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Sotija

• Veteran
  • Sotija
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006, 01:01:36 pm »
I think this is great idea.

Offline chrono

• Soldier
  • Elite CTF
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2006, 09:18:46 am »
I do love the idea... but still not understabnding it as much aftyer all ur opinons...
I decided to remove my signature, since jrgp was picking on me by sending me annoying PM's. - Chrono, Wednesday July 27, 2007

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2006, 11:58:55 am »
Wow, amazing idea. I would only want it in publics only, as clan scrim's should be based on teamwork.
ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline jbigz

• Camper
  • Tasty
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2006, 02:46:42 pm »
yes, fantastic idea. there should be a game mode that is somehow more stealthy, not just crazy rambo machinegunner... but i do not konw how to make soldat any more "stealthy"...