Author Topic: Big mistake  (Read 26944 times)

Offline Michal Marcinkowski

• Creator of Soldat
  • Flagrunner
  • I ain't got time to bleed.
    • Soldat home page
Re: Big mistake
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2007, 08:55:14 am »
Frustration is a very addictive emotion. Why do you think NES was so popular?  I'm trying to beat Contra 3 for about 2 months now without luck, someday...

Offline DarkNoddy

• Soldier
  • BunnehMastah
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2007, 10:28:24 am »
To be quite honest I cant see why ppl whine so much about this game.
There is a clear warning before you download it, even in the game "THIS IS NOT FINISHED".
If you don't like it, don't play it.. Its that simple.

I for one think the game is awesome.. If I had the skills to finish it I would love to :) Unfortunately for now C++ is not one of my languages.

Concerning the "need more saving" debate. I agree with MM 100% Games with less saving are awesome.. In my opinion newer games can be completed by anyone.
You fail at something, load back wherever U were, save just before where you failed the last time and you try again until you have tried so many times you succeed.

Old games on the other hand, you fail, and you will have to play all the way to where you were, and then fail again. To finish the game you need to acquire skills, because you need to beat the whole game in one go, not just concentrate on one single thing at the time.

I for one never finished "Alex the kid" on my Sega... Now my Sega is broken and I most likely never will :( playing the game takes like a few hrs and then you have to beat the final boss at Rock, Scissors or paper game.. Which is random :P
----Get ĀµTorrent here! - Torrent Tutorial----  
The sum of all fears: 01945

Offline staskesi

• Major(1)
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2007, 12:04:47 pm »
i can now say that i like it and im in ep 5 :D

Date Posted: January 02, 2007, 11:36:35 AM
I finished the game and i liked it.
Good work michal

Offline Michal Marcinkowski

• Creator of Soldat
  • Flagrunner
  • I ain't got time to bleed.
    • Soldat home page
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2007, 12:15:21 pm »
[...] playing the game takes like a few hrs and then you have to beat the final boss at Rock, Scissors or paper game.. Which is random :P
LOL, sounds like something that would fit into R.

Offline Anna

• Soldier
    • my dev blog
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2007, 12:33:16 pm »
I give upĀ [retard]

* Anna goes off to find a copy of Animal Crossing
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 12:36:00 pm by Anna »

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2007, 01:42:38 pm »
I for one never finished "Alex the kid" on my Sega... Now my Sega is broken and I most likely never will :( playing the game takes like a few hrs and then you have to beat the final boss at Rock, Scissors or paper game.. Which is random :P

Every boss match is a janken game. :P You're supposed to find and buy items to help cheat to win. :)

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2007, 07:04:15 pm »
Frustration is a very addictive emotion. Why do you think NES was so popular?  I'm trying to beat Contra 3 for about 2 months now without luck, someday...

That sounds like me and N. I only beat one episode of that game (the first) :(

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2007, 07:55:31 pm »
Frustration is the last thing that should happen when playing a game, a game that is a pain in the ass is not a fun game
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2007, 08:54:19 pm »
Frustration is the last thing that should happen when playing a game, a game that is a pain in the ass is not a fun game

Speak for yourself. Challenge is fun. Lots of modern "great" games such as God of War and Grand Theft Auto are so boring because they lack intelligent gameplay and challenge. Games are puzzles largely, and if you're not willing to practice and exceed your own expectations at times, then you really shouldn't be playing to begin. What's the point of playing, say, Mega Man, if you're just going to Game Genie your way through it? Might as well stand in an elevator and press the buttons for 20 minutes.

Offline Iq Unlimited

• Flagrunner
  • mr. foobar2000
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2007, 09:08:38 pm »
wow hard, Im guna go with Annas idea and go get a copy of Animal Crossing and play that for a few days, it'll take my mind off of thisĀ  [retard]

Iq Unlimited

ps: Michal I beat Contra 3 in about a week :P.

Offline LittleViking001

• Major(1)
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2007, 10:34:44 pm »
After playing through the game several times, I can say that more savepoints really aren't necessary. The levels aren't so hard or long that you need a checkpoint to finish them. If you die the first few times, consider the level a challenge. Keep trying. Try somethin different maybe. You'll beat it eventually.

The second time I played through the game only took one hour, so it couldn't be that hard. One hour isn't too bad, right? All the people here who are too impatient to play to the end of the game are really missing out on a fun experience.

Offline oneironaut

• Major(1)
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2007, 05:53:49 pm »
Michal, if you read this, please do better games, i remember you posted an image of "crimson game" much better than this crap

uhhhhhhhhhh.... youre a dweeb.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2007, 03:40:47 pm »

Speak for yourself. Challenge is fun. Lots of modern "great" games such as God of War and Grand Theft Auto are so boring because they lack intelligent gameplay and challenge. Games are puzzles largely, and if you're not willing to practice and exceed your own expectations at times, then you really shouldn't be playing to begin. What's the point of playing, say, Mega Man, if you're just going to Game Genie your way through it? Might as well stand in an elevator and press the buttons for 20 minutes.
Frustration and challenge are totally different. Mindless slaughters aren't fun, but If you play the same level 20 times on a hard game, then it isn't any more fun. A puzzle is only fun if you eventually advance to another level or stage. What is the point of playing a game if you don't progress much? games are supposed to advance and develope so that in the end, you are way better then when you start.

Playing a game like this more then once is retarded, you know where every piece of the puzzle goes, and you know what happens in the story, you know how it ends before it begins, and there is no fun in that whatsoever.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 03:45:18 pm by a-4-year-old »
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline LittleViking001

• Major(1)
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2007, 06:32:12 pm »
Playing a game like this more then once is retarded, you know where every piece of the puzzle goes, and you know what happens in the story, you know how it ends before it begins, and there is no fun in that whatsoever.

I wouldn't say that. R is just as much about platforming action and odd humor as it is about puzzle-solving. The game doesn't become useless and boring just because the puzzles are solved. There are platformers like R that get played over and over again after the first time. Cave Story, Within A Deep Forest, Super Metroid - heck, take Soldat as an example. Think of the first time you killed someone. Did the game suddenly become boring because you solved the puzzle of killing your opponent? Of course not. The tenth kill is just as fun, and the hundredth kill, and the thousandth kill. Just because you know how it ends doesn't mean the gameplay can't be fun.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2007, 06:58:16 pm »
killing someone isn't a puzzle, finding out where to go in a linear game is.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2007, 07:49:13 pm »
I don't think that can be argued (playing through a game and already knowing the methods of how to defeat all the bosses, where all secret objects are, etc.), but even if it's a little easier the next time(s) around, it's still fun to play through
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 07:51:49 pm by Keron Cyst »

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2007, 12:56:13 am »
Frustration and challenge are totally different. Mindless slaughters aren't fun, but If you play the same level 20 times on a hard game, then it isn't any more fun. A puzzle is only fun if you eventually advance to another level or stage. What is the point of playing a game if you don't progress much? games are supposed to advance and develope so that in the end, you are way better then when you start.

Frustration simply results in one's inability to cope with being able to surpass some challenge for whatever reason. You see it in Soldat with all the M79 whining and here with R being too difficult. It's not. If you're unwilling to accept a challenge (and R is hardly a challenge really), then you're just admitting that you lack the skills to succeed at challenging games of this type. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but if "difficult" platform games aren't something you excel at, then you make a poor judge of the game since you have had little or no success with others in the genre.

Edit:

killing someone isn't a puzzle, finding out where to go in a linear game is.

This is wrong as well. Bosses have patterns and weaknesses for a reason, and the challenge often comes from being able to identify those patterns along with surviving whatever it throws out at you. You can't randomly mash buttons and expect to defeat Gill, for example, which would be the case if your statement were true.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 12:59:00 am by Mr. Domino »

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2007, 03:37:54 pm »
first: R is the only platformer I have ever had a problem completing.
second: soldat does not have bosses, you shoot you kill, we aren't exactly opening pandora's box.
Third: you proved my point exactly with the bosses statement, if all you have to do to kill the boss is stick a dagger in it's eye, once you have done that it isn't fun anymore, there are hundreds of ways to kill a fellow soldat, but throwing a dagger in the eye is not fun after the first time, and all satisfaction is lost after the first kill.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2007, 06:48:40 pm »
Correction: the satisfaction of having figured out what to do in order to kill the boss is lost in future replays of the game, but it's still fun to watch the cyclops rip out the dagger and dash blindly for your character, who evades all of its somehow narrowly missing attacks before it dies, in an awesome cinematic. ;D

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2007, 06:56:47 pm »
an awesome cinematic that you already saw is not nearly as impressive or satisfying after you have already seen/done that before.

The only possible thing that would make replaying something a little bit fun, would be for a secret in the level.