Author Topic: How about heavy armors?  (Read 1560 times)

Offline BlingShyne2

• Major(1)
How about heavy armors?
« on: January 07, 2007, 03:45:48 am »
Well, I'm sure those of you who like this game and it's balance, and have also played tribes know that these 2 games are very similar.

So how about a Heavier armor? Selectable when respawning.

It would be a little thicker than your average character, about half as slow, (Maybe 3/4 as slow), slighlty less jet fuel, a little more health, 2-3 more grenades, and maybe this way you could add a new weapon that's a tad more powerful than your most powerful weapon with a larger splash damage area.

Also, how about 2 Primary weapons and a Secondary. Or Vice Versa?

It doesn't have to be a Heavy Armor, directly stolen from the Tribes franchise, but maybe something similar. Something to slow the players agility, but make him more powerful? All in all it'll still keep the balance there for sure.

I'd love to help with this if you guys would want to implement this, I'm SUPER familiar with the tribes franchise, and any fan will tell you that it's by far the most balanced FPS out there.

Also, you could use the ERA skin for the heavy armor, how bad ass would that be?

If this is useless and not able to be implemented anyway, then at least reply and lock this so I don't kep checking this in anticipation.

Offline The Red Guy

• Flagrunner
Re: How about heavy armors?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 03:55:09 am »
If soldat has heavy armour, wouldn't people be pissed off trying to kill off a guy with heavy armour.

Offline BlingShyne2

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 04:49:21 am »
No, because for one, a heavy armor is much slower, and a much easier target, and if more than 1 person attacks one, your totally ****ed.

But if you have, lets say, some kind of M79 like gun, thats green, and explodes 2-3 times as bigger than the M79's ammo, if they get to close to eachother, boom, double kill. Also, when this weapon fires, it only detonates if it comes in contact with someone. If it hits the ground then it'll just lie dormant until it detonates on it's own, giving the lights time to get away. (like a grenade, but more kick ass).

Trust me, this would add a great new feature, new levels of strategy, and keep all of the balance intact.

You'll have players who favor heavies over the light soldiers and have people arguing over which is better who who can own who in what armor and it'll be bliss.

Lets say a regular player is 100 points of health. A heavy would only have 130 or 140. BUT, it'll also be slower less agile. While a light is zipping around him, popping shots off on him. BUT the heavy will have a bigger gun, and a bigger boom to take him out.

See? No matter what the other guy has, you can counter no matter how you look at it. It won't bother balance at all.

Offline Captain Ben

• Camper
  • "forum's-rebellious-cool-guy"
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 06:16:16 am »
I like it, but I think the armoured soldat should have more health (he is in armour after all), but should have a slower mouse sensitivty, so that it takes longer to aim.

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 07:21:17 am »
It might work, although it sounds a bit too much like classes for it to be added to Soldat, and MM said that he definitely won't add new weapons.

I get the message that you're a Tribes fan now XD

I like it, but I think the armoured soldat should have more health (he is in armour after all), but should have a slower mouse sensitivty, so that it takes longer to aim.

Then people will just turn their sensitivity up.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 07:40:21 am by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 11:34:12 am »
I'm between liking the idea and not liking the idea. It sounds neat, but then implementing this would make soldat not really soldat....it would be a 2d tribes.

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline BlingShyne2

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 03:06:07 pm »
Read my second post, I said they would have about 3/10s to 4/10's more health. How about this,I'll just make a list of all the things you guys can add to this and keep editing it with good ideas.

I'm really good with balancing weapons, I think it's the only real way to make a succesful shooter, and thats why Soldat kicks so much ass to me.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 03:07:51 pm by BlingShyne2 »

Offline popsofctown

• Camper
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 03:24:03 pm »
i would support that.  i wouldnt call it "heavy armor", i would define it more as putting attributes with each wep, like classes.  ex: minigunners run slower, but have more nades. stuff like that.
(i dont think it should be an armor or non thing, i think it should automatically go with different weapons, or maybe some of the weapons give you the option of being armored.)

But sadly, i think soldat isnt going to get enough attention for a change that major.
Without originality society is doomed.
If you are tired of seeing the same lines in every signature, don't put this in your signature

\\\**I love DM**///

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 04:07:56 pm »
Soldat is not tribes, it is it's own game, If you want armor, go play tribes. Unless you have an original idea, you should probably not post here.

Others have suggested heavy soldiers or armored soldiers, they are all the same, they just want soldat to become cs or tribes or battlefront or battlefield or some other shooter, SOLDAT IS DIFFERENT IT NEEDS TO STAY DIFFERENT.

Besides, jet fuel is determined by the map, and speed cannot be adjusted niether can health and number of grenades. that means this would not happen without a super ultra amount of recoding and redoing everything just so soldat can emulate some other game, This should and will not happen. have a nice day.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Fitzpatrick

• Major
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 05:13:53 pm »
I can see your creative juices are flowing!
You balanced the characters additional armor with less speed [GOOD]

...But there are a few problems I have with your idea.

Why would you give the character with additional armor:
  • Less Fuel: If they are heavier, they will travel less already
  • More Health: They already have more armor
  • More Grenades: See Above
  • More Weapons: See Above

I can tell you have thought this out, but its just not there yet.
Keep working on it though. Its a good idea!
Fitzpatrick