Author Topic: When picking up a used gun  (Read 3037 times)

Offline ultraman

• Flagrunner
When picking up a used gun
« on: January 05, 2007, 03:48:16 am »
Probably been mentioned before, but just thought I throw it out there again.
I suggest: When you pickup a gun that was dropped by an enemy, it is still in the exact same state as when you dropped it. Eg. An enemy fires 15 rounds from his Steyr, then you Barret his ass, and his Steyr drops to the ground. You run over to his body, throw away your [insert secondary weapon] and pick up the Styer. The Steyr will still have 15 bullets left in the magazine (because the Steyr has 30 bullets per clip, and he fired 15 before dying). If the dropped gun in question was in the middle of a reload, then you'd have to reload it again, from the start (like how it is currently).

Discuss...

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
Re: When picking up a used gun
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 04:47:32 am »
I believe it already does this....

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 05:17:53 am »
I believe it already does this....
Nah, right now it reloads any weapon picked up no matter what.

This was the way this worked before.. the reason given for the change was this:
Quote from: the Soldat manual
- Modified all weapons must be reloaded after pick-up (prevents reload exploits)

Though I have to say that it indeed is a pain in the arse to reload the weapons on pickup... :-\

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 05:38:09 am »
Oh ok, cuz I saw in the code there was an 'AmmoCount' variable for dropped guns... so yeah. My mistake.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 07:14:45 am »
Yeah, that was done to fix the LAW exploit, which is a shame since accidentally throwing a Barret is a major pain. It's a really poor way to solve the problem, since the LAW can just as easily retain any ammo as any other weapon. Maybe in the next-next version of Soldat or something...

Offline popsofctown

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 03:39:07 pm »
a seperate question: why must the barret reload AND shot interval when you pick it up? one or the other would be fine.  I guess someone could throw it on the ground after he's spent his 10th shot, but that wouldn't gain him much, and if he's shot all ten bullets he's pwning everyone whether or not he abuses the system.  I think that either the reload or shot interval should not apply to picked- up barrets.  or, if its impossible to change only one weapon, all picked up weapons should start with their first shot interval completed.
Without originality society is doomed.
If you are tired of seeing the same lines in every signature, don't put this in your signature

\\\**I love DM**///

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 06:56:08 pm »
... why must the barret reload AND shot interval when you pick it up?...
That's just how the game's coded; after reload, the fire interval always follows. It probably is possible to separate the two, but I don't think it's that big of a deal

Offline toRch

• Major
  • <3
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 07:12:23 pm »
Sometimes this works for chainsaw.. don't know why.

Offline cooz

• Soldier
  • BANNED
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 08:04:59 pm »
it probably could be make with scripts, but in my head it looks like one big FLOOD
Dead man! Dead man walking! We got a dead man walking here! Banned man crawling more like

Offline popsofctown

• Camper
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 08:10:53 pm »

he's right.  why is that?
If you are tired of seeing the same lines in every signature, don't put this in your signature

\\\**I love DM**///

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 09:29:41 pm »

he's right.  why is that?

This is just conjecture, but maybe it's the lag the chainsaw always experiences. :P
ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 11:26:29 pm »
Spam by popsofctown removed

Offline ultraman

• Flagrunner
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 07:42:48 am »
I just found out that Soldat already does this, but only with the chainsaw :/

Offline papercut

• Camper
  • Soldat ingame name = 40oz Casualtie
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 08:22:55 pm »
Yep, chainsaw indeed retains its ammo like the other weapons used to. I was about to point that out in Toumaz' post, but I guess you guys beat me to it.

Frankly, I could tolerate all the glitches that come with it, I like keeping the ammo that was left in the gun, because barrets, miniguns, ak74's, and minimi's are SUCH A PAIN!

Law exploit? I heard about it, isn't like you can shoot a law, throw it, pic it up and fire it again? That doesn't bother me as much as reloading every single gun does.

Date Posted: January 06, 2007, 08:20:42 PM
a seperate question: why must the barret reload AND shot interval when you pick it up? one or the other would be fine.  I guess someone could throw it on the ground after he's spent his 10th shot, but that wouldn't gain him much, and if he's shot all ten bullets he's pwning everyone whether or not he abuses the system.  I think that either the reload or shot interval should not apply to picked- up barrets.  or, if its impossible to change only one weapon, all picked up weapons should start with their first shot interval completed.

I think its so you cant shoot someone as soon as you spawn. It would make barrets even gayer if that could be done. I think thats why m79s have to be elaoded as  soon as you spawn too.
<The SoldatForums Applauder>
"I use the Spreyr AUG. :)"

Offline popsofctown

• Camper
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 09:35:04 pm »
^^say if u took away only the shot interval, did nothing else. then if a barretteer tossed his barret away and picked it up, all he could do is maybe fill up the clip, and at the cost of being vulnerable for a bit.  he'd still have to wait the same amount between shots anyway, he couldnt throw it on the ground pick it up and shoot. 

but scavengers wouldn't have to wait ten years for their barret to become operational.

\\\**I love DM**///

Offline Pyroguy

• Camper
  • Torch it.
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 05:06:09 pm »
I say fix the LAW bug and not use a workaround that just pisses everyone off, that would make me happy.

Offline Fitzpatrick

• Major
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 05:00:53 pm »
If there is a bug, it should be fixed.
It looks to me like you just pointed out two of 'em! :)
I would suggest re-posting/moving this to "Need Help? Report Bugs!"
Fitzpatrick