Author Topic: Ban messages  (Read 3698 times)

Offline Leo

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
Ban messages
« on: June 21, 2006, 03:14:03 am »
It would be very helpful if the ban messages were more detailed. Like "You were banned for 15 minutes from this server" etc... Cause I have players that often asking me to unban them since they think they get a perm ban for tkill.

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
Re: Ban messages
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 06:25:56 am »
Couldn't you get ARSSE to send information to an IRC channel regarding reasons for ban per IP? Every couple days, you could check the channel's status. Unless ARSSE can't tell the difference between a ban, in which case I can't help you.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline DeMo

• Soldier
  • Stay Metal! \m/
    • Encoder 2002
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 01:44:44 pm »
And what about people who don't use IRC? That should be part of the game, not ARSSE.

I agree with Leo, the client should receive the ban reason and show it to the player.
Like in Half-Life (and mods), when you're kicked/banned you can see the reason in the console, it shows you messages like "you were kicked for using a reserved slot".

<@Evil-Ville> Expect a picture of Chakra` holding his fleshlight soon!

Offline Spasm

• Soldier
  • Elite CTF Owner
    • Elite CTF
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 01:22:52 pm »
I would love this. great idea.
Owner/Founder- Elite CTF -  http://elitectf.com
OwnedVision - http://ownedvision.com
--An EliteCTF Production.
Snipe & Slice - Saw & Law - One Shots

Offline KeFear

• Soldier
  • ARSSE Creator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 02:41:30 pm »
Yes, i would love to use bans with reasons

Improving the ban command would be fine: /ban 1 You have been banned for using hacks

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 05:45:14 pm »
I dont think so, it will cause issues. /ban doesnt only take in the player ID, also the player name. Players names have spaces, im sure you can see the problem there.

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 06:17:27 pm »
Clients already get the reason they were kicked, people are just too illiterate to read. It doesn't show the reason why if you rejoin the game, but WHEN you are kicked, in the short time before you disconnect, it tells you one of the following:

Kicked by console (which, if you can't get back in, means perma-ban)
Ping Kicked (half hour?)
Flood Kicked(20 mins)
etc.

If clients have console logging enabled, immediately afterwards they can check ConsoleLog.txt and look up the reason why if they missed it.

As you can see, the ONLY reason that is not definitive is when you are kicked by the console; in that case the admins on the server KNOW what happened because THEY did it.

In short, the funcionality exists well enough currently, just user stupidity is the problem, not the software.

[edit] Note. when someone TKs, the kick message itself just says Kicked by Console; however immediately before there will be  a message stating that the player was punished for a TK. Players should be able to draw the conclusion themselves.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 06:27:31 pm by chrisgbk »

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 03:49:58 am »
I dont think anyone notices, because once they are kicked the scoreboard covers the console. Not enough people are smart enough to press F1 to see why.

Offline KeFear

• Soldier
  • ARSSE Creator
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 04:38:00 am »
Well, i think the kick/ban messages should be displayed in the Join page, so players could see it...Of course this needs a client update too.

Offline Feril|Fin

• Major(1)
  • =P
    • Realsol.org
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 12:13:46 pm »
Yeah. I like to know too why I'm perm banned in 2 leos server ???
So great idea!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feril|Fin a.k.a Ei T'a'N'a'a'N
sorry for my bad english.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 01:38:59 pm »
would it at least be possible to have it show something when they try to reconnect, saying how long the ban is for? (for things like vote kick, flood kick, and ping kick)

A lot of functionality could probably be added to the ban system, but it'd take a bunch of work, restructuring it.

example, banned.txt, have it store information like:
IP_address time_in_seconds Reason

either space or tab delimited.

for the /ban command, force player number to be used so that we can use reasons.  Since player numbers were added, there's no reason to keep /ban <name> there, since it doesn't do a nameban anyway, it just looks up the IP and bans it.

add another command, /nameban that takes a playernumber and a reason, and bans the name, storing it in a text file similar to banned.txt.  store the name in some way that separates it from a reason (perhaps store the name inside some other characters, preferably non-keyboard characters).

Using these ideas in a revamp of the ban system would make things much more clear, add name-ban functionality, reasons, and a ton of other stuff.  Thoughts enesce?

Offline Gold

• Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 02:02:54 am »
Hm, sounds like a good idea.

Offline Pyroguy

• Camper
  • Torch it.
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 03:23:45 pm »
Couldn't you just search the ConsoleLog.txt for the ban command, then read the reason?

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 04:02:58 pm »
Couldn't you just search the ConsoleLog.txt for the ban command, then read the reason?

when admins do /ban, there is no reason entered, and there is no option to give a reason.  Right now only vote kicks have a reason associated with them

Offline johnbies

• Major
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 07:58:10 am »
ban messages are a good idea
pwnxorz the noobxors

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2006, 09:04:22 am »
Yeah, this was suggested several times :) (At least one was by me  :D)