Author Topic: positional rendering improvement  (Read 1160 times)

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
positional rendering improvement
« on: January 07, 2007, 07:00:46 pm »
I couldn't think of any better name for this topic - w.e.  What bothers me often (esp. in TW) is that when you hide behind a just small enough obstacle, it may seem on your screen as if you're entirely covered by the object, yet due to minor glitch/error/(whatever you wanna call it) on someone else's screen (and according to server probably) you may be partially seen.  A simple way of fixing this is when you stop moving for over a second, your computer should send your specific location to the server so that it can correctly render your position accurately.  This can also prevent the unknown walk in which you'd be standing, crouching, proning somehwere and the server thinks you're moving steadily in one direction - next thing you know you WARP there, dead.  I'm sure most of you have experienced that at one point.

Simple idea, no?
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Nfsjunkie91

• Camper
  • Just what I needed. A box of sh-t.
Re: positional rendering improvement
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 12:18:18 am »
Oh, that's why I go flying across the map from where I'm hiding sometimes.

Definite support for fixing this.

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 12:39:47 am »
I fully support this.

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 12:50:17 am »
Yeah support It would be sweet if it got a fix in the new version :D

Offline eisenhower

• Major(1)
    • CSRT
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 08:21:50 am »
yeah, this happens when the game is on realistic mode. gun recoils is cool, very realistic. but getting invsible is not cool when the object is not within the field of view.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 12:26:16 am by eisenhower »

Offline Pyroguy

• Camper
  • Torch it.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 02:48:01 pm »
If its a buggie it needs a fixie. Totally agree.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 07:34:57 pm »
I didn't know the position is inaccurate in client and server. If that's the case, I'm totally behind this.

Offline Fitzpatrick

• Major
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 04:55:31 pm »
I agree that this needs to be fixed, but i doubt it will.
It seems to me, from your description, that the error is occurring because of missed packets.
I am not familiar with the packet structure MM is using, but I know its not TCP/IP which guarantees packet information.
Hopefully I am VERY wrong & this can be fixed. Otherwise, I think MM won't be fixing this anytime soon. :(
Fitzpatrick

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 07:52:46 pm »
woot!

@ Keron Cyst
A friend and I play together often on TW and I remember once he said to me when I was hiding behind a small box that part of me was exposed - he knew that on my screen I probably looked okay.  All I'd have to do is move a bit left and a bit right and let the server resend my position - and hopefully that time it'll be more accurate.  But I didn't do that and they saw me (even though on my screen I was fully covered).  It was a sad death.

I also think this happens relatively often (by relatively I mean too often to not get annoying).

HOWEVER the big question still is whether soldat actually supports accurate position rendering - meaning if soldat is able to send a simple (x, y) coordinate of a player to every one else.
But it would definitely solve all our problems.

Hmm...maybe this should've gone in the bugs forum...
Can't think of anything original to put here...