Author Topic: A bug with 2.5.1, a question and a suggestion.  (Read 3852 times)

Offline ramirez

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Camper
    • Soldat Central
A bug with 2.5.1, a question and a suggestion.
« on: June 22, 2006, 01:34:47 pm »
Well hey again.

Let's start with the bug. Quite simply put, /nextmap does not work anymore. I don't know why, but when I do /nextmap it simply does nothing. I read that someone else said that /nextmap crashes the server, but that doesn't happen to me, it just doesn't do anything. Not sure if this is a known bug or not, but I haven't seen another topic about it.

Second of all, a question. It's about the file server. I tried to join a server the another day, and the server told me I didn't have that map, and thus I downloaded it off the server. All fine so far. After the map download is done, and I join the server, a couple of seconds later I get kicked off for having a wrong map version. How is it possible for me to have a wrong map version when it just downloaded it off the server? This problem wasn't happening just to me, but to a lot of other people as well, but in the contrary, some other people could download the map and join just fine. Is there anyway to prevent this from happening in server config, or client-side, or is this an acknowledged bug?

And lastly, a suggestion for the server if it's possible. Actually I have 3 suggestions, so I'll just list them here:
  • Would it be possible to seperate game admins into two groups: Admins and Super Admins (similiarly there would be a SuperAdmin_Password in soldat.ini in addition to Admin_Password). The difference would simply be that Super Admins can add new admins (and super admins), but admins can only adminstrate the server but not add new admins. I hate it when my admins add their friends and forgot to delete them, and sometime ago the admin list for one of my servers grew to 100, which apparently also was a limit for the admin list. And it's tedious to clean up the list and make sure I readd the correct people. I know that I could just not give admins to the people who I don't trust to add new admins, but I've tried that and still it somehow happened. This would be a great addition for me, but I don't know how much changes it would require in the source code, so if it's too difficult, then I guess it isn't worth the time.
  • Another suggestion is commands to dynamically modify the maplist file. This would allow bots and scripts to dynamically generate random maplists, combine maplists and such (I do have this functionality in my bot right now, but it does it by connecting to FTP of the server, and uploading a new maplist, which isn't too efficient nor fast. And furthermore it requires that there's an FTP account available, or some other means to do it (such as a server-side script)). Commands such as /addmap, /clearmap would be great, and relatively easy to implement since appending a line to a textfile in C is very simple. Imo /delmap wouldn't be necessarily required if you can just clear the whole list with one command.
  • Lastly a suggestion similiar to the map list one. But a command that would allow dynamically to rewrite an item in the soldat.ini file. I know there are already commands for things such as changing max players, realistic, survival and weapons mode, but this would give even more control to the server admins. For example some configuration values I think would be great to be able to change on fly (of course /loadcon would be required to reload the changes): Max_Grenades, Stationary_Guns and which weapons are enabled/disabled. This suggestion would go well with the Super admin suggestion, since we wouldn't want regular admins to be able to change things like admin password. If this is not possible to do, I wish that it would be possible to implement a command to change amount of max grenades, because it seems that different leagues and cups start to use different amount of grenades. It's a pain to change the server settings everytime the server is needed for another type of official match.

Thank you for your time, and I appreciate your work for the server.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Re: A bug with 2.5.1, a question and a suggestion.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 03:00:31 pm »
I agree with all three of those suggestions and would love to see them implemented.  They would all greatly contribute to the plans that I have for a future soldat-related project.

Unfortunately, I have not had the time to upgrade to 2.5.1 (still on the version prior to 2.5.0) so I cannot confirm the bug yet

Offline CardBoardWarrior

• Soldier
  • "The best secondary is a primary"
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 04:19:07 pm »
Second of all, a question. It's about the file server. I tried to join a server the another day, and the server told me I didn't have that map, and thus I downloaded it off the server. All fine so far. After the map download is done, and I join the server, a couple of seconds later I get kicked off for having a wrong map version. How is it possible for me to have a wrong map version when it just downloaded it off the server? This problem wasn't happening just to me, but to a lot of other people as well, but in the contrary, some other people could download the map and join just fine. Is there anyway to prevent this from happening in server config, or client-side, or is this an acknowledged bug?
This has happened multiple times to me today.

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 04:28:25 pm »
Hello Flab Jr.

Upon downloading maps from servers, I often notice that large scenery files get corrupted, thus booting me from the game. Just thought I'd add that, as it has some relevance to the topic.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline EnEsCe

• Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 05:40:22 pm »
That the Wrong Map Version bug is not a problem with 2.5.1 (its client side and server side) as its been there since the beginning of Custom Maps w/ File Server. It has been fixed server-side, however the Soldat client needs to be updated aswell to fully eliminate it. Michal knows about it. And it only happens with crap maps with less than 5 custom sceneries.
And I am aware of the /nextmap bug, I dont know why its not working since I havent modified the code for it... but then again most of the bugs that have come along recently I havent touched the code for :S
-----------
I will add the /addmap command.
And at the moment writing to INI files is not possible, maybe at a later date.

Offline Yukwunhang

• Major
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 08:24:41 am »
it only happens with crap maps with less than 5 custom sceneries.
I remember MM saying that it happens when the map has less than 3 sceneries, Flies saying 4, and now you're saying 5. Uh.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 08:27:52 am »
I said 4?  If I did, then it was a typo because whenever I talked about this I went to MM's post and looked it up to make sure I said the right thing

Offline EnEsCe

• Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 09:23:30 am »
Yeah it is 3 exactly, but to be safe I say 5. And no, its not just 3 sceneries, its 3 differently named non-default sceneries.

Offline ramirez

• Camper
    • Soldat Central
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 06:26:31 am »
Ah, well good to know that it's being worked on.
I know the wrong map version bug was there before, but this was the first time I noticed it happen right after a download from a fileserver.
Also, I'd like to correct one thing in my first suggestion:
Super Admins can add new admins (and super admins)
Afterall I don't think it's required that super admins can add new super admins. A password for super admins should be enough, since super admins can still add their own IPs to the admin list, and do regular admin commands without logging in with the password explicitly. But if they need to add new admins they can simply login with the super admin password, it's not worth the trouble to add a new admin list file for super admin IPs. Only a password would do just fine imo.

Also, thanks for hearing out my suggestions, too bad that it's not possible to add the INI writing at the moment. Would it be possible to add a command to change amount of grenades though? Because this is the one thing that apparently starts to differ in different tournaments and leagues, and it would be great if there was a command to quickly switch between the amount of grenades.