Author Topic: grenade hit  (Read 2309 times)

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
grenade hit
« on: June 23, 2006, 11:01:55 am »
I'm sure everyone who plays with sound has experienced the grenade hit ringing sound thingy.  Basically what it is, if your computer registers a grenade hit but you survive, you get this ringing in your ears and can't hear any other sound for a while.
My idea is that during this time, you should have a sense of misdirection (as in real life) in which you can't move very well (perhaps you randomly spas in random directions) and your aim should be very off...  This would add more realism to the game - but don't say 'put that for realistic mode' because in real mode, this would almost never happen cuz grenades will almost ALWAYS kill you!
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline CardBoardWarrior

• Soldier
  • "The best secondary is a primary"
Re: grenade hit
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 11:19:30 am »
I guess it's a decent idea for realistic mode, I wouldn't want it for reg. soldat though.
Hey, I'm sure grenades don't kill you all the time in life, but if they explode nearby they are still loud as hell and that's the reason for the ringing.

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 11:56:11 am »
How about your screen gets motion blur. Like when you move the cursor its leaves a kinda trail, except with everything in the screen.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Soldier
  • Boomshakalack!
    • Real Soldat!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 12:01:17 pm »
What about if everything turns greyscale, it's harder to see who's friend and who's foe this way. Also campers are harder to notice.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 01:19:52 pm »
greyscale... neh...  blurred screen (kinda like in DoDS) would work...  yeah, i'd say we go with that...

Offline Stalky

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 01:45:41 pm »
I guess it's a decent idea for realistic mode, I wouldn't want it for reg. soldat though.

I guess you didn't actually read all of zyxstand's post. He asked people not to say this, and he gave a very good reason for doing so. Please read the entire topic in future :)

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 03:02:23 pm »
Sense of misdirection... inverted cursor for 5 secs.! (Down moves up, right moves left, etc.) ;D

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 03:17:44 pm »
lol keron - you're idea is similar to fd's in that you both try to create an effect who's function create a concrete result in an attempt to substitute the realistic effect of misdirection which (in reality) isn't based on any palpable sort of function.  Surely a programmer has to often rely on such an alternative such as I described above as occurs in DoD:  your screen freezes (like a screenshot) and slowly fades into the actual, live gamescreen.  Good players will be able to actually make sense of this effect.  (The only relationship between this and realism is that in both, with experience you can get your sense of control back more easily but this is still nonetheless a substitute).
(g2g, will finish reply later)

Offline Svirin Kerath

• Camper
  • O NO I GOT SHOTD
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 03:25:02 pm »
in rainbow 6 when you accidently flash-nade yourself, the screen goes completely white and then eventually fades back to normal, in addition to the ringing. that might work.

i love this idea tho.
I AM A SMARTARSED PRICK OF A HUMAN BEING

I AM ALSO DOUCHEBAGGERY, AND I'M SPREADING

Offline Chameleon

• Major
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 04:02:08 pm »
yea, but flash grenades blind you for a second, which is why it turns white. we are talking about confusion, not blindness.

i like all of the blurred screen, greyscale, and the inverted controls/mouse ideas. but to elaborate on the inverted controls/mouse idea, how about when you get hit, the controls are randomized (staying with the same keys) like one time left becomes up, then another time left becomes right. so you cant "predict" or get used to the messed up controls.

maybe instead of choosing just one of those, its random between those 3 actions. to ad to the confusion

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 04:27:33 pm »
Yes, but a fading screenshot doesn't generate misdirection; a screenshot would just make players impatient as they wait for it to regress back to normal. I'm aiming not for realism so much as a purpose-serving game effect. After all, you respawn after you die, and you spawn with jet boots; how realistic is that? :P
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 05:17:12 pm by Keron Cyst »

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 09:17:47 pm »
At least jet boots is a realistic concept (though they may not exist in real life).  If you just go with a blurred screen or just white, a good player could easily maneuver just by knowing where he was when hit.  Heck, I could probably cap a flag without seeing :P

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
  • I know Karate!....and several other Japanese words
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 09:19:53 pm »
Even though it would increase realism, It would just get on my nerves.  It does enough as it is.

Offline 2big4u

• Camper
  • In Game: 2big4u - Merry Christmas!
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 09:21:45 pm »
I really like the blurry trails idea, it would look pretty cool.