Author Topic: Circular viewable area  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
Circular viewable area
« on: January 14, 2007, 06:31:58 am »
I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but its something to think on:

The current area your crosshair can enter is a square/rectangle. I think it should be a circle.
I just realised that this would mean needing a circular window to run the soldat game in, so maybe it would be impossible but I don't think its good that if I look at a corner I see further than if I'm looking straight.

Its food for thought at least. Constructive C&C please.
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
Re: Circular viewable area
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 08:32:13 am »
Construvtive Comand and conquer??
Ok jokes aside , I think that would be possible but it wouldn't require circular window.
Just allow the crosshair to be xx "meters" distance from the player and no more than that and that way it  would have that circular effect.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 08:57:25 am »
Yeah, but it really should be a server side option, though. Some people are used to the square area and wouldn't take kindly if it was changed perminantly.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Lifeā„¢
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 01:52:51 pm »
Yeah, the crosshair does pretty much nothing to my knowledge. In fact, you can get mods that make it circular (as you wanted), triangle'd, pentagon'd. The list goes on buddy.

The preferred outcome of war is peace. Ironic, huh ?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam auctor lectus pulvinar neque. Vestibulum commodo nisl convallis nisi. Aliquam in magna. Quisque orci. Duis sed nunc eu quam egestas feugiat. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nulla auctor turpis non urna. Sed porttitor. Donec et dui non odio.

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 02:17:30 pm »
Yeah, the crosshair does pretty much nothing to my knowledge. In fact, you can get mods that make it circular (as you wanted), triangle'd, pentagon'd. The list goes on buddy.

He's not asking for a different cursor. His suggestion is to alter the screen so that the game plays in a circular area, rather than a rectangle. He doesn't like that you can see further in the directions of the corners when you move the cursor to the corners of the screen. I think it's way too restrictive, with the HUD, Death Console, and Chat Console all added in. There just wouldn't be enough space. You wouldn't be able to have the death/chat console in the area around the circle, because the circle would take up most of the space. I don't like the idea at all.

Offline Pyroguy

• Camper
  • Torch it.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 02:59:46 pm »
You already have a very restrictive viewing area if you play realistic mode, and most of the game combat takes place on the same levels; that is why most maps are horizontal, hence the 800 by 600 resolution. It could be something interesting for realistic, but I think it would be more of a hindrance than really something fun.

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 07:12:14 pm »
Soldat's resolution is 640x480, exactly half the width of my screen.

Offline Gore

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 07:27:05 pm »
I think the suggestion is nothing worth the hassle.

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 09:28:38 pm »
I think it's way too restrictive, with the HUD, Death Console, and Chat Console all added in. There just wouldn't be enough space.
Thats true, although there are ways around that. For example, because Windows makes rectangular windows for programs, MM would probably just black out the corners to make a circle, and make the cursor stop at the black edge. The HUD wouldent have to move because it could be on top of the blacked out area.
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline Pyroguy

• Camper
  • Torch it.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 09:46:42 pm »
Meh I forgot it was 640 by 480, I am too used to all my games being on 800 by 600. I don't really know what this would add to the game besides an extra 160 unused pixels plus the rounded edges is too much black to be constantly on screen.

Offline Nfsjunkie91

• Camper
  • Just what I needed. A box of sh-t.
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 09:51:35 pm »
We've played Soldat like this forever, I don't want to have some circular view, it would just set a lot of player's aim off.

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 11:34:43 pm »
Oh boy! Let's change the viewport to 59% it's current size! What a great idea!
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline papercut

• Camper
  • Soldat ingame name = 40oz Casualtie
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 11:44:34 pm »
He just means to subtract a little from the corners. Currently, you can see the most  in all the corners of the screen, and not as much just straight vertical, or straight horizontal. Not absolutely necessary, but certainly... "correct"
<The SoldatForums Applauder>
"I use the Spreyr AUG. :)"

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 07:08:04 am »
I guess it would throw people off and change a lot of crap, so maybe it shouldn't be put in. But it would be more realistic for those who love R/S