Author Topic: Zoom-in stat?  (Read 3814 times)

Offline Svirin Kerath

• Camper
  • O NO I GOT SHOTD
Zoom-in stat?
« on: June 22, 2006, 02:52:19 pm »
I'm on a roll here, I guess. Making the barret slot the only one with zoom capabilities is pretty limiting for weapon mods. Say you wanted to give the AUG slight 'magnification'? Or all of your weapons had a slight 'zom-in' mode... or none.

It'd be pretty awesome to get rid of it and start a server that way, so barrettards spout out phrases like 'WTF!?!' and 'OMG I CINT ZOOM OH GOD'

Errr, but that's besides the point. There would be balance issues, yes, but such issues are there anyway due to all the other stats you can change (the shotgun can be ridiculously overpowered, for instance, not that I'm complainin', just sayin'). Anyway, the new stat would simply be 'zoom.'

Let's say you can enter a value from 1 to 10. '1' would be noormal, and 10 would be as much zoom as the barret (or perhaps a little farther). Anthing in between varies the range. So, for instance, an AUG (or L85A1 or whatever standard-scope assault rifle you want) might be a 3 or 4. LAW would be a 2 perhaps.

This might give way to another option; negative zoom. entering values from 0 to -5 would reduce the range of the weapon's zoom. This would add an interesting challenge and could be use to balance some weapons (though a 0 or -1 would probably be sufficient enough).

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 02:53:51 pm by Svirin Kerath »
I AM A SMARTARSED PRICK OF A HUMAN BEING

I AM ALSO DOUCHEBAGGERY, AND I'M SPREADING

Offline YoMammasMamma

• Major(1)
  • I'm also Stanley Decker.
Re: Zoom-in stat?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 03:14:23 pm »
More weapon modding choices are always a good thing.  Heck, additional moddability in general is always a good thing.

A more precise and flexible way of implementing it, though, would probably be to base the values on a distance in meters.  I can't imagine it being too terribly difficult to pull off, either, since the game already measures out, in meters, what distance any particular kill you make is from.
"Oh yeah?  Well...  Yo mamma!"

"Oh yeah!?  ...Uh, Yo Mamma's Mamma!"

Offline [R^M]TomaHawk

• Major
  • Bush to the rescue!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 03:17:44 pm »
yeah that be pretty cool.What should happen is have all the guns that you can fit mods on they could have a scope but not as strong as the barret rifle.The weopans that should have scopes should be AK-74 since you can add tons off mods to it,then the hk mp should have a scope which you can mod the hell out to,and the last one should be the eagles.

I domt know about the secondary pistol should it also have scope?I dont think so becase the 2ndary weopan aint suppose to be as good as the primary weopan.

Offline Beasticly

• Major(1)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 06:11:52 pm »
Be cool to have for weapon mods. Useful if you want to make two different sniper rifles that can both zoom.

Offline Svirin Kerath

• Camper
  • O NO I GOT SHOTD
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 06:21:54 pm »
A more precise and flexible way of implementing it, though, would probably be to base the values on a distance in meters. I can't imagine it being too terribly difficult to pull off, either, since the game already measures out, in meters, what distance any particular kill you make is from.

that's a good idea, and it crossed my mind, but i didn't know it was all worked out so well (and i needed axamples to use XD)

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 08:26:59 pm »
I suggested this on old forums, never got anywhere though.

We did come up with a weapon: "The All-Seeing Eye"
ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline vulbastick

• Soldier
  • Lasers From Atlantis
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 05:21:56 am »
good idea - my star wars mod has two snipers

definitely a good idea - then you could have a binoculars secondary :D

Offline Svirin Kerath

• Camper
  • O NO I GOT SHOTD
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 02:53:55 pm »
that's a neat idea...

zamorak: what's the all-seeing-eye?

Offline Mr. Jenkins

• Soldier
  • AKA "Oneburt"
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 05:27:47 pm »
By the negative zoom, do you mean something like increasing the resolution so that you see less? Cause that would be really annoying.

I'm all for this idea. As the first person said, any more modding options are good.

Offline Jermies

• Major(1)
  • Domo Kun.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 05:54:23 pm »
Definately a great idea.
I'm completely for it.

Offline Svirin Kerath

• Camper
  • O NO I GOT SHOTD
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 06:30:49 pm »
By the negative zoom, do you mean something like increasing the resolution so that you see less? Cause that would be really annoying.

I'm all for this idea. As the first person said, any more modding options are good.

not really. you know how the barret goes farther than the cursor normally can? well if you take the limit of how far the cursor can go from the character and decrease that so it's closer to the character, that's what I mean

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 07:47:39 pm »
i support it completly. but if michal put it in i think he should leave the weapons all at default and wm's can take care of the rest. then noone can get upset :D

Offline 2big4u

• Camper
  • In Game: 2big4u - Merry Christmas!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 09:33:30 pm »
i didnt even know there was a zoom feature.....( im such a noob)
what i do know is that the m79 could use some zoom because sometimes you have to pull off some crazy shots, but usually you can barely see where its going.....  i dont like the idea personally, but it never hurts to try..

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
  • I know Karate!....and several other Japanese words
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 09:38:18 pm »
That would be fun to mod sniper rifles to be able to zoom like 2 or 3 screen lengths.  It could make the barrett more like the modern one.

Offline Svirin Kerath

• Camper
  • O NO I GOT SHOTD
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 12:19:41 am »
jettlarue: of course! keep the defaults, just make it possible to change them
plonkoon: indeed it could. i was afraid that ability might be a bit much, but it would be more realistic. it would also be balanced, cause you'd be even less able to see if someone was about to kill you

Offline jbigz

• Camper
  • Tasty
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2006, 04:41:21 am »
great idea, but the negative zoom worries me. sinve you would have like a big circle around you, limiting where you can put your cursor, your cursor might twitch around the boundaries, thus leading to inacurate shots. and yes, giving slight zoom to autos, nice. real autos have small scopes on them. i also think certain guys should have a short range laser target, so you can shoot straighter at close range. input on the laser sight?

Offline Svirin Kerath

• Camper
  • O NO I GOT SHOTD
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 05:30:02 am »
hm. well can't you activate a laser (the red line) in options?

Offline Sotija

• Veteran
  • Sotija
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2006, 07:18:33 am »
Hmmm.Maybe.If its option

Offline Nightcrawler

• Soldier
  • www.aussoldat.com
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2006, 08:38:07 am »
Yeah, only if it was an option. A sniper rifle is designed to hit far range objects/people, so it's supposed to zoom. I don't think having other guns that can zoom is a good idea.
I rule.
IGN: vK:\\ Deadpool

Offline jbigz

• Camper
  • Tasty
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 02:48:43 pm »
not necessarily "zoom". you know if you squint one eye and look down the barrel of your rifle, there might be a small scope or even just a little crosshair thing that will focus you on your target, letting you focus a little farther than usual. you understand the basic concept?