Author Topic: Ipod obsession....and overrated  (Read 6823 times)

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
Ipod obsession....and overrated
« on: January 09, 2007, 10:01:35 pm »
....Gawd I come back from holidays, and it's funny because EVERYONE'S GOT AN IPOD FOR CHRISTMAS! Do they even know other mp3 players exist? The teacher's don't say "mp3 players" they say "put away your Ipod" even though I OWN A ZEN!@!@!@## Kids are asking If I own a different type of Ipod.....

I don't get it. Ipod's are ugly anyways. The scroll wheel is pretty cool, but that's all it has. 

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline Nfsjunkie91

• Camper
  • Just what I needed. A box of sh-t.
Re: Ipod obsession....and overrated
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 10:15:14 pm »
Yeah, it's because the iPod was the first one to really get noticed.

But to be honest, they're fucking stupid to think that MP3 Player = iPod if iPod = MP3 Player.

Kids are asking If I own a different type of Ipod.....
Stab them, they're fucktards. I've got a Creative Zen Sleek Photo, been happy with it so far. The batteries on my iPod mini died after 3/4 of a year.

Offline Mancer

• Camper
  • Legacy of Poontage
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 10:18:01 pm »
No. Its extremley convenient and useful. Dont hate its popularity because it actually works right. iTunes is also an amazing program.
I have a Mac so I can't play with you guys no more :(
(psst MM make a Mac version)

Offline Spyder

• Soldier
  • Member Since 19 Oct 2002
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 10:20:09 pm »

Offline Nfsjunkie91

• Camper
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 10:28:17 pm »
Sure it works, but when people think that the only kind of MP3 Player is an iPod, it's a bit of an annoyance.

Offline Sethamundo

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 10:39:10 pm »
No. Its extremley convenient and useful. Dont hate its popularity because it actually works right. iTunes is also an amazing program.
I'll give the IPod that, but despite how well it works, I don't see what all the hype is, mp3 players work just as well only without all the nifty features.
Illumination is not reached by visualizing the light but by exploring the darkness.

Offline A

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 11:03:47 pm »
My dad managed to nab the newest IPod Nano for free at a keynote conference he went to a few months ago. I've found it very easy to use and great for car rides; just plug it in and bam, no more crappy radio.

The IPod obsession is quickly coming to an end, and it's beginning to become just a common convenience. That's really why they're so popular, they're easy to use, good products.

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 11:42:05 pm »
My friend and I got two mp3 players around the same time.  He got a Zen, I got an iPod.

His is now dead, while mine is still kickin'.  Not saying that's the be all end all comparison between the two, but it makes me glad I picked what I did.  Besides, can you play videos on a Zen?
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline A

• Soldier
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 12:02:59 am »
I definitely see where Dascoo is coming from here. It drives me insane to come to school and see everyone standing around listening to their IPods. In that respect, I've got to agree with him that the things are way too... ogled over, shall we say.

On the other hand, they are the best on the market. Anything else is just a rehashing or blatant failed copy of the IPod, and usually has a crappy interface as well. The IPod has got the menu and control system down perfectly.

I still despise when people listen to rap and punk rock on their IPods and act like they're the **** though... rahhhh!

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 12:27:43 am »
I have a Zen. I find it considerably better than an ipod. First off, it doesn't require you to convert all your music to a different format, I've tried using itunes, and it bothered me; it's slow to load, and the interface is confusing. I'm not totally sure, but I also hear that ipods freeze frequently, and have many problems of that sort. It also to me at least, has an easier interface on the player, with the scrolling being vertical, instead of circular; to me this feels much more natural, and seems simpler. I also enjoy that on the zen I have, the Vision M, you can set an image as the background. It also cost $50 less then the ipod video of the same capacity, and I'd tried out both and found zen to be better.

I wouldn't say that Zen is decidedly superior, but in my opinion, I find it much easier to use, and more functional. But I can see people's opinions varying greatly on this subject, and I'd like people to recognize that it's just my opinion.

Offline Krillious

• Camper
  • If you were a hindu I could aim for the dot
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 01:18:36 am »
My dad managed to nab the newest IPod Nano for free at a keynote conference he went to a few months ago. I've found it very easy to use and great for car rides; just plug it in and bam, no more crappy radio.
like other mp3 players?
but yeah I hate it when people generalise on stuff
like I hate how ignorant some people are
my sister takes that the mc hammer song can't touch this is from family guy ffs
and for example that daft punk song that some rapper used, everyone thinks that he invented those lyrics >:(

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 04:20:29 am »
You hate how ignorant people are, and yet you have Steve-O in your avatar?  Funneh.

What exactly are you calling ignorant here?  Just because A finds if easy to plug in an iPod and listen to it in the car without acknowledging "other mp3 players" doesn't make him ignorant.  Unless you're calling some people who use an iPod ignorant..if so..why?  For using a very convenient product?

And I like hate how people say like when they like shouldn't say like in a sentence.  It like totally makes them sound like valley girls.

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 05:11:10 am »
Do they even know other mp3 players exist? The teacher's don't say "mp3 players" they say "put away your Ipod" even though I OWN A ZEN!

Ever ask for a Kleenex when you really want a tissue?  Or want to Xerox something when you really mean to copy it?  Or ask for Coke when you really want some other brand of soda?  Or a Q-Tip, some Styrofoam, Velcro, a Band-Aid... Same thing.  Some brand names become so well-known that they become generic terms for all other brands of the same item.  iPod is just the latest addition.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline Krillious

• Camper
  • If you were a hindu I could aim for the dot
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 06:32:57 am »
You hate how ignorant people are, and yet you have Steve-O in your avatar?  Funneh.

What exactly are you calling ignorant here?  Just because A finds if easy to plug in an iPod and listen to it in the car without acknowledging "other mp3 players" doesn't make him ignorant.  Unless you're calling some people who use an iPod ignorant..if so..why?  For using a very convenient product?

And I like hate how people say like when they like shouldn't say like in a sentence.  It like totally makes them sound like valley girls.

nooo I meant they are ignorant because they don't know other mp3 players exist and they call mp3 players 'ipod'
and I didn't say A was ignorant I just pointed out that every mp3 player can be used in a car
and I only said like once I don't see why you had insult me about it ;((((
owell I forgive you because you probably misread what i said :)

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 06:57:33 am »
Do they even know other mp3 players exist? The teacher's don't say "mp3 players" they say "put away your Ipod" even though I OWN A ZEN!

Ever ask for a Kleenex when you really want a tissue?  Or want to Xerox something when you really mean to copy it?  Or ask for Coke when you really want some other brand of soda?  Or a Q-Tip, some Styrofoam, Velcro, a Band-Aid... Same thing.  Some brand names become so well-known that they become generic terms for all other brands of the same item.  iPod is just the latest addition.

Only said Kleenex....once.

I have a Zen. I find it considerably better than an ipod. First off, it doesn't require you to convert all your music to a different format, I've tried using itunes, and it bothered me; it's slow to load, and the interface is confusing. I'm not totally sure, but I also hear that ipods freeze frequently, and have many problems of that sort. It also to me at least, has an easier interface on the player, with the scrolling being vertical, instead of circular; to me this feels much more natural, and seems simpler. I also enjoy that on the zen I have, the Vision M, you can set an image as the background. It also cost $50 less then the ipod video of the same capacity, and I'd tried out both and found zen to be better.

I wouldn't say that Zen is decidedly superior, but in my opinion, I find it much easier to use, and more functional. But I can see people's opinions varying greatly on this subject, and I'd like people to recognize that it's just my opinion.

Plus it's radio (I have no clue if Ipod added that yet, but yeah....) and customizable interface....Better screen then the Ipod. There's no real difference between the Zens and iPods interface, just that the iPod has a scroll wheel.....that's pretty cool, but unneccesary. Just like Wraithlike said, it's got a "no bullshit" media player.

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline Nfsjunkie91

• Camper
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 08:32:29 am »
like other mp3 players?
but yeah I hate it when people generalise on stuff
and for example that daft punk song that some rapper used, everyone thinks that he invented those lyrics >:(

They (MTV) totally killed Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger. I also know of people who think that covers and remakes of old songs are the originals.

Also, I've had the same experience as The Geologist, except I had an iPod before buying a Zen. So far, the Zen has lasted longer, since the iPod wouldn't hold a charge after 9 months.

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 08:52:58 am »

nooo I meant they are ignorant because they don't know other mp3 players exist and they call mp3 players 'ipod'
and I didn't say A was ignorant I just pointed out that every mp3 player can be used in a car
and I only said like once I don't see why you had insult me about it ;((((
owell I forgive you because you probably misread what i said :)

Ahh..my bad.  And yea, heh heh, sorry :p

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 10:09:23 am »
I took one look at the price tag, then looked at the features. It's an mp3 player for crying out loud. I'm not paying that kind of money just to play music like I can with any other mp3 player for around 80$.

So I just won a ****ty version of the iPod free in a contest. ^_^

It's a real one ... **** YOU ALL CRITISISING *******S ... srsly.

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 10:19:48 am »
Calling an object by the main brand name is not really wrong, unless they actually think that's what it is.

Reminds me of when people call any rocket launcher a Bazooka.

Burn the witch! If you fail to catch her, then give Milkman Dan her home address and picture...   go boy- fetch!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 10:26:57 am by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline GluLm

• Camper
  • Polybugs' nightmare
    • maps pack project
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 11:38:01 am »
I have nothing against Ipod, except I don't like its low capacity. I own an Archos, 10Gb, and it's not enough! Anyway it's still working fine although it's a second-hand I bought 6 years ago or so.
My sister got an Archos too, as I told her they're less trendy. :p

Little fun now: (Ipod fans please don't take it too seriously) ;D

Bring back Soldat 1.3.1! New bullet trails DIE!