Author Topic: ctf_Skyland, needs testers  (Read 839 times)

Offline Lachlandavis

• Major(1)
ctf_Skyland, needs testers
« on: January 25, 2007, 07:25:53 pm »
http://d01.megashares.com/?d01=138ca12

Link to CTF_skyland.pms

Ok, tell me what it needs, also, i think i used general scenery, tell me if there is a problem with scenery.
No way points as of yet, if someone feels keen leave it till ive finished it.
So if some peopel could test it and tell me about it id appreciate it.
Screeny attacthed. The Map is based on an idea from an animated show where the earth was divided into little peices in the sky.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
Re: ctf_Skyland, needs testers
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 08:08:57 pm »
That center island dominates the map too much. The stat guns are positioned so that they can fire at every approach point, and all the foliage makes it a great sniping platform. Jetting tends to slow a player down, especially on a map such as this which forces players to fly from one small island to the next just to get around. Being forced into predictable routines is bad, and the lack of ground doesn't allow for much in the way of evasive action or technique.

While I'm not against there being a favorably positioned spot for teams to fight over, the layout of the map appears to make such a struggle less fun. Stat gunners on the center platform will encourage Barret camping just to pick them off. The platforms are so spread out that the only way to advance safely is via spraying. It's a nice theme and all and balanced from the bit I tried, but it just doesn't flow well nor play interestingly enough.

Also, I'm still playing around with waypoints myself and hardly worth commenting on them, but I know I've seen comments saying that maps such as yours are difficult to waypoint. I wouldn't bank anything on this being a bot friendly map. All that aside, it looks nice enough, though there really isn't much there given the sparse small island theme.

Offline Death MachineX350

• Camper
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 09:07:59 pm »
Okay I'm gonna do this the easy way and make a list of good and bad things.
       ;D                                                       
--------------------                         
1. I Like the Stat guns on top and bottom.
2. Different concept than most maps.
3. Right amount of islands-doesn't feel too crowded.

:(
--------------------
1. Needs more cover on the islands-maybe some blockers?
2. Add some polygons to prevent the flag from a 100ft. drop.
3. Make only one Stat gun on bottom please.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 09:23:33 pm by Death MachineX350 »

Offline Lachlandavis

• Major(1)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 12:58:38 am »
Thanks for the feekback, yeh i do get the feeling that the Center island is too much of a strategic advantage.
I think i will only make one stat gun on the bottom. and maybe, only one on the top and have it on the roof of the Hut.
Thanks Mr Domino, i was considering maybe also provide some top islands above the command center so that it is easier to take back via dropping in from the roof, the building collides bullets so snipers couldnt really cover the top.

Also, Less or more Jet Fuel? the origional concept was to have the islands closer together and have little or no jet fuel, but it was too difficult to get to the higher islands in a battle situation.

I was also considering placing smaller bullet reflecting fragments around, maybe like peices of a crashed asteroid. This would provide some distance cover, and while difficult to land on, players could hop from them if they were going to fall.

tell me what you think of these ideas, and ill update the map shortly.

But Yes i like your idea Deathmachine, i think ill place some crates that reflect bullets on the island tops to provide some proned or crouching cover because having just jetted to an island it would be very easy to be shot at with no defense.

Also big question refering to dominoes coment, do the green islands need to be Bigger? or should i put a series of longer bu thinner runs down below the islands as an alternative rout?

And yes maps like this are difficult to way point because of so much flying, i tried, but when i said to jet right my bots just kept flying up till they ran out of fuel and fell off.

As for the flag problem, how do you mean ad some polygons? There is a deadly polygon below the islands, maybe a 5 - 7 second fall that kills players.

Last thing, Scenery? I know it needs more, appart from crates and barrels that ill put in, maybe have a nebula in the backgroun to add some colour? or a distand picture of a fragmented earth?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 01:05:08 am by Lachlandavis »

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 08:57:14 pm »
I think more islands would definitely help, but that's your call. I think having more would greatly speed up movement around the map and help provide blocking from spray, particularly those stat guns.

The amount of jet really isn't an issue I think, though I do like the sound of your original idea more. As far as being more difficult to to gain higher ground -- that's good. High ground always provides a strategic advantage, and making players who want that advantage have to take their time climbing up there is a nice trade off in my opinion.

I think ideally, a map such as this would be designed so that you can still run, roll, and jet through it about as quickly as if it were a normal CTF map. The split floating islands would just provide more options to move about and position oneself, but it'd never interfere with the player's movement in the game.