Author Topic: Becoming what i want..  (Read 1278 times)

Offline ..::HHH::..

• Soldier
  • Dream Theater.. is the F**king best!
Becoming what i want..
« on: January 15, 2007, 02:56:08 pm »
so.. i've been playing drums for a while, but still i have a looong way to go. :-\
any advice with be thanked for.. :)

i use crappy "vic american" sticks now, and they'r slippery in my hands :P

Offline RabidTreeFrog

• Camper
Re: Becoming what i want..
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 03:24:24 pm »
Yay, a fellow drummer!

Sadly, i don't have set at my house, but my best friend does, and we play drums/guitar a lot.
not around

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 03:30:20 pm »
drums are my whole life! i may suck noow, but one day..

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 03:31:32 pm »
Just keep practicing.  Good luck!

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline vulbastick

• Soldier
  • Lasers From Atlantis
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 03:47:24 pm »
i want a durm kit but i aim to spend £0 - 50 on one hahahaha
my parents dissaprove cos ive already got a synth a piano a keytar and a keyboard...
i neeeeeeeeeeeed drums!!!

good on you keep goin!
too many people give up...
i cant live without rhythm

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 04:29:02 pm »
Hey man, sounding pretty good for a beginner.  I've been drumming for about..oh..roughly ten years now, 'cept the last few I've been away from my kit since going to school.  Here are a few pointers.

Work on your technique.  I hear you going for a lot of fills and they're throwing you off the beat sometimes.  For simple practice I do a few things.

1) Keep a constant 1/4 beat on a ride cymbol.  Then, try to throw things in along with that beat and inbetween each time you hit that cymbol.  For example, when I wanted to improve my bass technique, I would try to get two solid beats on the base drum between each ping of the cymbol.  After you can do two smooth beats on the bass, try for three.

2) Hand technique is important.  I recommend getting a practice pad, but you can use a pillow as well.  Grab your sticks, and hold them so that your thumb and forefigner are the only ones gripping the stick.  This way, the stick can swing and move.  Use only your wrists, no forearm movements.  You want the end of the stick to tap back against your palm, so you know you'e gripping the stick loosely enough for it to swing, but tightly enough so it doesn't fly off.

With a good grip down, try working on getting more out of each stroke.  Finesse is key here, and you want to make the sticks do all the work so you don't tire yourself out.  With a firm downward stroke, arch your wrist up.  You should notice that the tip of the stick hits the drum/pad a second time.  Repeat these double strokes, and then try to get three strokes out of a single motion.  I realize it's kinda oard to explain, but hopefully it helps.  This will help you get a really good roll going for your snare, for example.  When you hear a drum roll the guy isn't hitting the drum really fast, he's getting multiple beats out of each stroke so they blend together.

3) Bass drum technique.  This can be a challenge, because it's largely about muscle development.  Not going to the gym type, but muscle memory type.  Follow these steps for stronger, faster beats on your bass.

Position yourself so your knee is almost vertical over the bass pedal, but just slightly behind it.  This lets you get a bit of forward push in addition to the downward push.

Now, with your heel firmly planted on the back of your bass pedal, bring the front of your foot down.  That's one stroke.

Next, keep your toes pressed to the pedal and lift your heel.  Don't let your toes leave the pedal though!  Lift that heel up (and your leg a little) until the beater of the pedal begins to leave the bass drum head.  Then, drop your leg back down for a second beat.  Practice and repeat for stronger, tighter bass drum kicks.

If you'd like to hear more, just let me know.  Hope this helps!

Edit: Also, practice practice practice!  It's all about muscle memory.  Do 100 triplets, 100 of those 3-stroke movements, 100 double kicks between the 1/4 notes on your ride.  Do as many as you can and you'll see it becoming easier within a few weeks time.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 06:29:02 pm »
heeey!:D thanks man:D i'll follow your advice:) and i'll post some more solos tomorrow:)
 thanx a bunch:)

Offline Krillious

• Camper
  • If you were a hindu I could aim for the dot
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 01:40:48 am »
i heard someone say that if you practice drum rolls on a pillow, it is easier to do it later on the drums

Offline n00bface

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 01:42:41 am »
Sounds good.  I remember you posted something a while back, this sounds like a big improvement.  Especially because you used lots of double bass, and that's krieg.

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 01:44:35 am »
Double bass is indeed the cats meow.  If you'd like any more pointers HHH, feel free to ask or PM.  Heck, I may even expand upon my post in the next day or so.

Offline Sticky

• Major
  • Toot toot
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 01:53:42 am »
As a music student, all I can really say is a repetition of what's already been said: Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice. Don't overdo it though, you don't want to cause yourself an injury.

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 02:14:16 am »
Very true.  Always stretch out before playing, you'd be surprised how much it helps.  And don't force anything - if you can't get a particular stroke or bass beat, just keep practicing, don't add extra force.

Offline Rainbow Concussion

• Major(1)
  • goddamned batman
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 04:42:46 am »
I recommend you use the Danny Carey signature Vic Firths. It has a really unique shape that helps you develop faster rolls. I even learned how to do one handed drum rolls with them.
BRIX SHAT.

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 05:05:24 am »
A specific type of stick won't make him good..sure, every drummer has a specific stick that he or she plays best with.  Developing skills is a matter of practice and technique, not buying specific equipment.  Sticks are a critical element - too heavy and things feel awkward, too light and the novice drummer might end up breaking the sticks more often than not.

Could you do those rolls without your signature sticks?  If not, you too need more practice.

Offline Rainbow Concussion

• Major(1)
  • goddamned batman
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 05:41:30 am »
Yes, I can actually. But im much more faster with the Vic Firths.
BRIX SHAT.