Poll

Wall/Spiderman bug/feature

Yes! Very nice feature
No! This ruined everything...

Author Topic: Wall/Spiderman bug/feature  (Read 3804 times)

Offline kicikici

• Soldier
Wall/Spiderman bug/feature
« on: October 26, 2014, 10:41:47 am »
Yep, we got newest 1.6.8 version and this "feature" showed up. I want to know what people think about it. If you want to say only "you should test beta version" better leave this topic.
Classic banana

Offline Puure

• Major
Re: Wall/Spiderman bug/feature
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 10:46:20 am »
Definitely ruining existing climb maps. gg

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 11:45:00 am »
Soldat is action game, in ctf/inf and other modes it doesn't affect gameplay so more than 80% of players would not even notice this.

EDIT: ok its turn out that it suck a bit. Could I ask who invented it and why?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:48:41 pm by Akinaro »

Offline Xestor

• Major(1)
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 02:28:59 pm »
I like how they add features that are completely unnecessary, same was with soldat chat that died 2 versions later

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 05:13:07 pm »
I like how you guys assume that this is somehow an intended feature.

Offline ExHunter

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Soldier
  • Speedy go!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 05:15:15 pm »
It was never meant to be a feature, it's a side effect of trying to fix the movement issue with the facing direction.

Just to clarify this: It was possible in 1.6.7, too. But it was much harder to perform this movement, since you needed to figure out how you need to face while jumping on and off the walls. Now it works regardless of any cases. But only a handful of players were aware of this.

Please have in mind, that trying to fix this, could cause some other unwanted feature. So if people decide majorly to remove this, then please be aware of other side effects. So probably this is the right place to say: Testing a beta more than 5 minutes would not harm anybody, would it?

I personally do not have a problem with that bug. Another positive side effect of this is, that you can easier jump off from polygon edges now, so you catch more likely any polygons and slip less off of them. Movement appears generally to be smoother now.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 05:51:44 pm »
Yeah. Movement is a lot smoother in this version.
Slopes are easier to kickjump, corners are easier to catch. It has a better flow. And the slope issue in climbing is finally fixed.

I don't think it's worth removing the fix just to avoid some climb maps shortcut/skips. But I can see how it can be an issue for some climbers.

There is no clear right or wrong answer to this issue.

That said. I'm pretty happy with the movement fixes and I do actually enjoy to see wallclimbing becoming more reliable. So I vote for it to stay.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 07:05:52 pm »
Actually I'd rather see the opposite - making player unable to stick to near-vertical walls, so mappers can more reliably restrict certain routes and areas, and just so it makes more sense visually. I'd prefer if surfaces that are at a certain angle had the same effect on the player as Ice polygons.

Offline SRD

• Major(1)
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 01:37:20 am »
This bug, or feature, whatever you want to call it, has affected probably 50%, if not more maps, and most of them have already been mutilated enough as it is. If this were to stay, they would all have to be edited, some completely scrapped, otherwise there would be no point as you can just skip half the map in some cases. Not to mention map makers would have to take this into consideration and it would put in more constraints, (or the opposite if you're so inclined to adapt).

For ctf, sure, this might be decent for some players. For climb, which is arguably the second most popular game mode currently, in my opinion it creates a big hole in which there are already thousands, (around 25000) caps already registered on rzal alone, not to mention the other climb servers. A good percentage of these caps would become redundant, hundreds (if not thousands) of times that people have worked for would easily be broken, and I'm sure we all would love to see Nakin re-gold most of his maps, but still, I would and I'm sure some people would agree with me, (as much as they would dislike doing so), that this "bug" has and will create more strife than enjoyment.

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 02:31:25 am »
Well don't think ruined everything is the right term, I don't want to lose everything so I vote to keep it unless ex-hunter can figure out how to fix it without breaking the new smoother movement :)
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 04:15:36 am »
Thanks everyone for noticing this.
It is unfortunate that we notice this now after the release though.

We will look into the issue. I'm currently for fixing this bug/removing this feature.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline SRD

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 04:18:04 am »
Thanks everyone for noticing this.
It is unfortunate that we notice this now after the release though.

We will look into the issue. I'm currently for fixing this bug/removing this feature.
<3

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 04:25:18 am »
Couldn't you do something about the polys to make that move impossible? Perhaps it is easier

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 06:50:47 am »
I remember this move being around since many years.

This is me doing it on an old Soldat version:

Offline SRD

• Major(1)
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 07:57:44 am »
I remember this move being around since many years.

This is me doing it on an old Soldat version:

I don't think it was ever as bad as it is now though. (Not exactly sure about specific versions though, I have skipped a few.)

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 08:48:30 am »
It was bilions times harder to do on the old soldat, so its not even worth comparing(not to mention it worked on great minority of straight walls, now its totally the opposite). I don't know Shoozza if you have any contact with other devs, but AFAIK ExHunter and Haste knew about it after the first beta.

As i said before, I'm fine with this new movement even tho it will break half of the climb maps but only if it gets fixes it needs. The most important is the physic aspect - you lose all your speed when catching the wall. It doesn't work on all walls - some works quite good, some are nearly impossible to grip on. Hard to perform the jumps - you need to catch the exact moment, it doesnt work flawlessly at all.
 I can't see it being any usefull in a fast peaced game like soldat in it's current state. Its slow, buggy, not rewarding (can't gain speed with it, you even lose your current one). Atm. it's usefulness is limited to bypassing climb maps.
A good example of a well working walljumping concept is the already well known wall catching from for example my maps (vir_9). It's relying on player's momentum, it's very intuitive and fits the soldat concept perfectly - that's the wall jumping I'd love to see in soldat.

Other soultion and probably the best one, would be adding new poly type with the whole, upgraded concept i wrote about. But I don't believe that it's even an option at the current state.

So to sum it up - The concept is great, but the way it works right now is way beyond being terrible, comparing it to the well known walljumping shows how much of work it needs, but at least there is a model to follow. I voted against keeping it, because leaving it in its current state is an awful idea in my opinion.

Offline Name

• Soldier
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 02:49:10 pm »
Well, in general I'm in favour of a movement which allows you to climb things or cannonball as quickly and with as much ease as possible but in this particular case I'd be against, because it doesn't seem to me like it was implemented in a way that makes sense. I think it has to work in a consistant way.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 02:52:15 pm by Name »

Offline paintZoom

• Major
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 05:25:58 pm »
i just played yesterday and tried this thing on some ctf/climb
and this seems more like grab/grip thing to me wich is actually very cool because it allows you to jump or cannonball from it
so you can use this trick to connect map routes or dodge some (saved me a few times on maps like ash/snakebite)
perhaps its not that usefull but is a somewhat fun trick

im not really a climber but i can see how this break the maps because it allows you to move upward on a straight wall
to me it seems like thats the main issue with this trick...

also
Movement appears generally to be smoother now.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 08:21:12 am »
I like the spiderman consept, I would like to see that we use it as a new feature and improve it.

As for old maps, perhaps many of them could be remade pretty easyally by changing the polys to ice-type? Would that work?

Offline %%%%%%%

• Soldier
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 10:15:40 am »
i just played yesterday and tried this thing on some ctf/climb
and this seems more like grab/grip thing to me wich is actually very cool because it allows you to jump or cannonball from it
so you can use this trick to connect map routes or dodge some (saved me a few times on maps like ash/snakebite)
perhaps its not that usefull but is a somewhat fun trick
also
Movement appears generally to be smoother now.
I like the spiderman consept, I would like to see that we use it as a new feature and improve it.

F12.