Author Topic: inf_Moonshine (remake)  (Read 11975 times)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
inf_Moonshine (remake)
« on: February 10, 2010, 07:00:16 pm »
BEHOLD! Another horribly disgusting piece of map remake!  [retard]

----------- Description:
This is a (visual) remake of inf_Moonshine, a great map originally made by chakapoko maker. This remake features better (IMHO) visuals, as well as a few minor gameplay tweaks and polybug fixes.

----------- Preview:
Original

With objects:

Without objects:

----------- Changes:
v1.1
- Added missing sceneries to the archive.
- Added anti-polybug killer polygons.
- Right roof is now impossible to fly over.
- Fixed # of nade kits and jet fuel.
- Fixed line in water on the right side.

v1.0
- Tunnel that leads from blue spawn to caves is now a bit wider.
- Rocks in the lower-left tunnel are a bit smoother to make it easier to move.
- Blue spawn now has a bullets-collide wall protecting it (However I also plan on adding a red-players-collide wall once 1.5.1 will be near final release).
- Added collider in the middle of bottom-left tunnel.
- Repositioned bonus spawns.
- Added yellow flag and rambo bow spawns.
- Toned down background sceneries to separate them from more important sceneries.
- SEAWEED!!!
- Significantly reduced number of semi-transparent polygons.
- Polybug under blue base fixed.
- Other minor polybugs fixed.
- Other minor changes and tweaks.

notes:
* Waypoints are kept from original Moonshine, which means original waypoint bugs are also there. If someone *cough* Keron Cyst *cough* could provide better waypoints - much appreciated.
* This map does have a few semi-transparent polygons used for water, but it's a lot less than what original Moonshine had, so I hope it's alright.
* This map also has one png (without transparency) scenery used for map's background. Using a BMP dramatically increases file size while decreasing the quality, which is very inefficient. If one non-transparent background png is still such a big deal for this map to be considered as default - feel free to remove the background. Normal background colors aren't as nice, but they're playable.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 06:45:21 pm by L[0ne]R »

DarkCrusade

Re: inf_Moonshine (remake)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 03:39:22 pm »
I hoped noone would ever touch that map.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 05:52:31 pm »
I like the water, to be perfectly honest.

It's just some of the huge overstretched sceneries that "ensures" the "presence" of an atmosphere really hurts this map's ingenuity with scenery usage.

Offline Biggles

• Flagrunner
  • Mapping rotating
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 05:58:43 pm »
Looks great, better then the original

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 06:06:39 pm »
This really didn't need a visual remake, I loved the style of the original but you didn't exactly slaughter it either. My only problem with this map is the roof thing that people undoubtedly M79 boost abused the hell out of.

If this hasn't been done, I would suggest you make the 2 roof things OPC so people can't just M79 boost the whole map and ruin the fun out of a really good map.
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline Mr. America

• Soldier
  • Watch out for the blablabla!
    • My arcor homepage. There are just my maps.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 06:12:56 pm »
Visuals are great! I give you my mark of approval!

Edit: I'm missing a scenery "L1R_barricade2.bmp" (and ...barricade1.bmp)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 06:19:38 pm by Mr. America »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 06:14:48 pm »
This really didn't need a visual remake, I loved the style of the original but you didn't exactly slaughter it either. My only problem with this map is the roof thing that people undoubtedly M79 boost abused the hell out of.

If this hasn't been done, I would suggest you make the 2 roof things OPC so people can't just M79 boost the whole map and ruin the fun out of a really good map.
Well, I haven't actually tested it myself, but i did make the right "roof thing" a bit longer. I think there's nothing wrong with boosting over the roof on the left (on contrary, it makes it more fun and unpredictable), but hopefully right roof should be very hard (if not impossible) to fly over.
edit: nvm, I just tested it myself. Piece of cake... I'll fix it in next version, once more bugs are reported.

By the way, if I make it OPC - players will be able to walk on it normally. :P

I'm glad that so far this remake is not completely hated.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 06:21:31 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 07:19:53 pm »
Ofcourse it looks better than original, thats supposed to be the point. But this time it's not overdone or
overdozed with silly themes and background junk which is a great achievement from you. You used plenty of
scenery, yet you restrained it well. This kind of modifying shall pass, unlike duz you get the bonus.

While playing at it, it feels the same. Visual changes doesn't bother at all, cept for that weird line in the
right side of the map (near lighthouse). Try to do something about it. Even thought I'm not supposed to go
there, existence of that line is irritating.

Edit

Me too!
Me poo!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 04:21:24 am by smiluu »

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 03:43:51 am »
Me too!

Smiluu summed my opinion also pretty good. The modification not only make it look better but also improves the gameplay: clear polygons on bottom route, background scenery got transparency so that you can't think you can hide behind them. It has my support.

That png scenery has marginal effect on look, I'm wondering why they were added in the first place...

Dunno if you forgot to add it into changelist but you've changed jet fuel from 95 to 190. It can't be called as minor change and I disagree with it. As attacker now you can just boost yourself up and fly there like 20 secs, wait until defenders are gone from base and steal the flag. Imo, it gives too much for attacker and too little for defender. In any case it changes the gameplay.

Also number of grenades is changed from 8 to 5. That's more like minor change, just wondering reason for it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 03:47:39 am by Suowarrior »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 04:54:45 pm »
That png scenery has marginal effect on look, I'm wondering why they were added in the first place...
Not sure what you mean by that (to be specific - the word "marginal" confuses me).
Either way - I used a scenery for map background to make a horizontal gradient (IMHO in this case it looks better than vertical gradient), but since current map format has very limited gradient support - I didn't see any other way. :S
You won't be able to see edges of that BG scenery unless you spectate though.

Dunno if you forgot to add it into changelist but you've changed jet fuel from 95 to 190. It can't be called as minor change and I disagree with it. As attacker now you can just boost yourself up and fly there like 20 secs, wait until defenders are gone from base and steal the flag. Imo, it gives too much for attacker and too little for defender. In any case it changes the gameplay.

Also number of grenades is changed from 8 to 5. That's more like minor change, just wondering reason for it.
Ehh, that was not intended. One time I had to create a new map file and copy/paste everything but I forgot to change some of the map's settings, which would be the case. I'll change them back as soon as I can.

Not sure why barricade sceneries aren't there but I'll fix it right away along with other bugs mentioned so far.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.
Honestly, I didn't expect such a good reaction. To me this remake is not much different from most of my other remakes. I just did the same thing I did all the time. <_<

-----------
edit: updated to v1.1 with all of the mentioned bugs fixed.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 06:19:17 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Crimson Goth

• Camper
  • A*|INF|Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 01:21:01 am »
I like it. *thumbs up*

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 08:24:14 am »
Hello
- Tunnel that leads from blue spawn to caves is now a bit wider.
I prefer the original one. The new one is too wide.

The rest of the changes, I like. And I think you made a beautiful remake , especially the caves. They look awesome with these new colors. :)

--> f12

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 12:55:55 pm »
By the way, if I make it OPC - players will be able to walk on it normally. :P

hahaha I knew there was something i was forgetting.

is there a function for deadly-OPC!?!?!?

i just kinda disagree with the random top route thats only accesible by a few players, and the fact that it doesn't even really go with the theme of the map having 2 random floating islands. but suo brings up a good point with the fuel. maybe even put just a tad bit less with the jet fuel cuz it really isnt that difficult to boost up there
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

DarkCrusade

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 03:47:46 am »
You could delete the deadly roof, but before you do that think about what would change. People would boost to the sky anyways and they won´t die if they do something wrong, too, and the defenders will not know where that guy will get to the ground again, too, since there is no hole they need to pass in order to get to the ground.

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 10:12:32 am »
seems great, lot better than the original, without loosing the feel/style
why the huge bg scenerys? the map is ok without the upper 2

one thing that is quite noticable is the lower left part of the map, is very eazy to use the left side of the map to attack now
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 03:05:46 pm by As de Espada »
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade