Author Topic: LandWarrior 2.0 has been released!  (Read 5146 times)

Offline Taehl

• Camper
  • When a fool hears about Tao, he just laughs.
    • Pixel Perfect
LandWarrior 2.0 has been released!
« on: June 09, 2007, 07:03:55 am »
Don't look here, LandWarrior 2.0 is a full mod.

[Moderators, feel free to delete this thread since it's no longer needed.]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 07:08:15 pm by Taehl »
"The balance is perfect. The flow is perfect. The speed is perfect. This... Is the absolute best mod on the site."  - mxyzptlk
"THIS IS PROBABLY... scratch that ...this IS the best mod I have seen before. Dang man, nice job!"  - Dorkey Dear
"Whoa! This is the best mod ever!!!"  - imacheater2k7      "Looks like a beaut. On a rating, 6/5"  - Radical Terrorist
New and improved: LandWarrior 3.0

Offline Temp3st

• Camper
  • Ever wonder what R2-D2 is doing now?
Re: LandWarrior 2.0 (Teaser)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 07:53:29 am »
This should go under "Partial Mods" section,

Offline TBDM

• Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 08:43:16 am »
no, it's just a preview, it's in the right place.

looking good so far, keep it up!

i like hwhat you did with the name, looks cool :)

*edit*

this hould go into  General Discussions
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 08:49:05 am by TBDM »

Offline Taehl

• Camper
    • Pixel Perfect
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 08:46:21 am »
I meant it as a placeholder of sorts. I'll use this same thread for when I'm done upgrading the mod.

And even if I don't finish the improvements (which won't happen), I can release what I have, which is already completely done (and is a "full mod", containing sound, gostek, items, and all weapons). I'm just making it better right now.

Also, I thought it would be good to post the teaser so people who used my mod could tell me what they would like changed in the new version before I released it.
"The balance is perfect. The flow is perfect. The speed is perfect. This... Is the absolute best mod on the site."  - mxyzptlk
"THIS IS PROBABLY... scratch that ...this IS the best mod I have seen before. Dang man, nice job!"  - Dorkey Dear
"Whoa! This is the best mod ever!!!"  - imacheater2k7      "Looks like a beaut. On a rating, 6/5"  - Radical Terrorist

Offline Temp3st

• Camper
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 09:27:44 am »
Mods under development should go under "General discussion" or "Partail modifications" read.

For example, when Yamo first posted his preview of SaC, which contained more of a preview than this, it was moved by moderators into "partial mods"

Offline Taehl

• Camper
    • Pixel Perfect
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 09:43:44 am »
I suppose you could say it's under development. I was merely trying to avoid cluttering the forums, but very well: If the mods wish to move this thread somewhere else, and then have me start a new one for when I'm ready to distribute, they can feel free. Not that they need my permission, of course.

Oh, and I put some more of the weapons on the first post.  ;)

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
  • (F)ornication (U)nder (C)onsent of the (K)ing
    • http://www.soldatforums.com/index.php?topic=571.0
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 10:16:11 am »
Not bad. But the XM8 is a lil bit squashed in my opinion. And the shotguns is too little for me too.

Otherwise it's looking promising, where the hell you found a picture of that TAR-21 ? could you post it here please ?

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 10:25:40 am »
The weapons are a little too small, particularly the Nova. The Force's handles are also a bit big in comparison to their barrels. Otherwise, the color job on these weapons is really nice :)

Offline Temp3st

• Camper
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 11:12:45 am »
Agreed, if you make the weapons bigger it will give you more room to shade and add details.

Offline Taehl

• Camper
    • Pixel Perfect
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 11:31:57 am »
I get most of my reference pictures (as well as statistics) from the site world.guns.ru. The TAR-21 is on page http://world.guns.ru/assault/as30-e.htm.

Sometimes I also use the Wikipedia. For instance, the image I used for the XM8: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM8

And the guns being a few pixels smaller than in some other mods is because I like them having a bit of space between them. That, and unless I want to do cross-image gun pics, they'd not line up with the text you have to click on.

Oh, and the Forces are actually pretty accurate, here's a pic:
[obsolete picture removed]

For anybody who's interested, here's a quick comparison (the XM8 and Nova came from seperate images, and aren't to scale, forgive me):
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 02:03:48 pm by Taehl »

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 01:46:02 pm »
Yeah, it's just the scale that's a bit annoying—if you're going by that world.guns.ru pic., the barrel should travel longer before reaching the end, if you look at the original image's grip for the supporting hand. For the XM8, the ammo clip should be much longer; right now in the pixelated version, it just looks fat :P

Offline Taehl

• Camper
    • Pixel Perfect
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 02:12:39 pm »
Thanks for the XM8 tip - I finally figured out what was bugging me about it. The clip is improved now. As for the Force...

... I don't think I can make it very much more accurate.

Oh, yes, and the weapons teaser has grown a bit longer  :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 02:51:48 pm by Taehl »

Offline xtishereb

• Flagrunner
  • I swear, my chainsaw killed you on its own.
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2007, 06:13:26 pm »
This is more of my opinion than anything, but I don't like having a single line of black pixels represent a barrel. This would be the TAR-21 and the Scout. On the topic of the TAR-21, its outline isn't totally complete. It's missing a pixel right below the barrel.

Okay, Force. Trigger guard is too big. Raise the lower part of it by one row and delete the lower-left pixel to make it look like it sticks out a little. The barrel is too small. Continue the bottom part above the trigger guard further, to where the barrel gets thinner in the picture. The grip needs another colored pixel on the right, before the clip. You can balance this by putting another pixel on the lower left, if you want. I think that would look nice.

When you distribute the mod, be sure to include your fonts.ini file so we'll get the super-sweet special effects in the weapons menu. I assume the green techy stuff is in the weapons images, if not, they should be.
<3*xwd
love conquers all

Offline Taehl

• Camper
    • Pixel Perfect
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2007, 07:18:04 pm »
I'm also not too hot on the pixel-barrel thing, but those guns really /do/ have tiny thin barrels. I think I'll keep them, since I don't want to make them way out of scale, but I don't want to lose the outlined effect, either.

But thanks for that missing pixel on the Tavor (and your other tips, too). Gets kinda hard to see with all that electric green sometimes  ;)

And what's this about fonts.ini? I've not changed it... The extra text is in the interface/guns images (I even duplicated the pixel shadow effect from the normal text).

Oh, and the teaser has grown again...  :D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 07:33:52 pm by Taehl »

Offline Shivorken

• Soldier
  • Full Blood Azn
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 11:33:09 pm »
This your first mod? If so its not bad.

Pros:
- The interface statistics, although makes it look stuffy (imo) is unique and very creative =]. But like what xtishereb said, i hope it's part of the weapon image as well.
- Gostek looks wonderful =]

Cons:
- The weapon images (most of them) need alot of re-outlining as they have alot of sharp, random pixels jutting out and out gotta learn to avoid that (eg. the bottom of your force and the tar-21 clip just to name a few)
- I'm not too hot on pixel barrels either but i swear to god, none of these weapons need to have pixel barrels and they can still be in proportion (because i've done them before) and pixel barrels REALLY detract from the look.
- Your shading needs a little more sophistication as they look like plane gradients rather than shading (on a few guns).
- More variation in your colour for all guns.
- GM-94 looks like it can do with a make over (take away that black stock - its horrible <.<)
[/url]

Offline Taehl

• Camper
    • Pixel Perfect
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2007, 12:24:39 am »
Technically my first. Seeing as how I'm redoing most of it, however, it could also be called my second. Thanks, though.

Sharp, jutting pixels (especially on the Force) are intentional. The actual gun has a small, pointy protrusion there which I use a single pixel to represent. Nearly all of them have such pixels, actually, but they're all intentional. Thanks for looking out for me, though  :D

As for the pixel barrels... Well, here's a comparison shot:
Without making the gun much bigger than I want it to be, and don't want to lose proportion, there isn't a whole lot I can do here... Or is there? If you can think up something better, please show me.

Gradients? Heh, that's quite a trick considering that I didn't use any  ;)
Could you tell me a particularly bad offender?

As for color... These guns are all grey and black, true. A few, like the XM8, have colored variations, but they just didn't look good to me. They /do/ have different tints of grey, at least.

Yea, the stock really is the worst part of my GM-94, but I'm stuck with the pixel problem again. The stock is just a thick wire, perhaps a centimeter or two in width.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 02:04:36 pm by Taehl »

Offline Shivorken

• Soldier
  • Full Blood Azn
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 01:10:32 am »
tar-21

Try to avoid the single black dots when making an interface pic.

The curvature of your tar-21 clip is also to large. Fix that bit up and it'll look much better =]
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 01:12:12 am by Shivorken »
[/url]

Offline Taehl

• Camper
    • Pixel Perfect
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 01:32:20 am »
Good pic, there. Only problem is... It's scaled bigger, giving you the space needed for it. And the barrel's about a pixel too thick, really. I don't want to scale my weapons any larger since that makes them unaligned with the text.

I did straighten the mag a bit, though, thanks.

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2007, 02:01:12 am »
Taehl your weapons looks really nice, but they have too black and someones are little

Offline Taehl

• Camper
    • Pixel Perfect
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2007, 02:05:40 am »
Okay, okay, you all got me. I'll make them bigger. Not only will this entail redrawing everything, but it also means I'll have to figure out how to make the guns sit in seperate images so they are aligned right.

I was planning on releasing tonight, but that's not gonna happen now. It might take a few more days. I'll still update the teaser image as I go, though.