Author Topic: Throw the flag button. / More stable flag throwing.  (Read 5582 times)

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
Throw the flag button. / More stable flag throwing.
« on: March 02, 2009, 02:22:03 pm »
Oh yes please. Since it's what Soldat is all about today. Flag throwing should be made more stable, too.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:30:44 am by Dusty »

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
Re: Throw the flag button.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 03:11:01 pm »
the flags are too buggy
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:51:53 am by homerofgods »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 02:41:41 am »
Oh yes please. Since it's what Soldat is all about today. Flag throwing should be made more stable, too.
Maybe just make it the middle/wheel click, or alt+space, or alt+insert, or some other mundane key combo. Not that I have anything wrong with pushing w and s at the same time, though.
There are other worlds than these

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 03:21:07 am »
I support this, as long as it's customizable.
It seems like once every few weeks I'll be crouching behind something with the flag, some enemy will run up on me, I'll jump and shoot and then all of a sudden I mistimed it and the flag is halfway between us.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 03:58:29 am »
I support this, as long as it's customizable.
It seems like once every few weeks I'll be crouching behind something with the flag, some enemy will run up on me, I'll jump and shoot and then all of a sudden I mistimed it and the flag is halfway between us.

Omg! I know! I hate that so much...you just throw the flag into the opponent sometimes and then they go: Ty. <3...pisses me off lol.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 04:48:19 am »
Yes, definitely!
Add a poll so that they consider it =)
"It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels." -- Augustine

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 06:33:36 am »
F12

This 'hand the flag to the enemy glitch' can happen very easily, despite Up&Down being a simple throw method, I think its time we gave it a proper command.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 07:18:08 am »
I second Kynetik.

Offline Banksey

• Major
  • Proud smoker of Marlboro Reds
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 07:19:45 am »
I support it

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 06:18:58 am »
I was just about to post a topic about this too :p

Really I just tried the 1.5.0d and the flag was just too unstable.
Please Enesce, if you can, make the flag object more stable and reliable when its free on the field. Thats one thing.

The other thing is a button for throwing the button. Doing the wierd arse W + S is slightly cumbersome. A button dedicated for throwing the flag would be awesome. Probably G or Z might be the most logical keyboard buttons for default.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 07:55:08 am »
actually, I like using up+down, I just think flags are too buggy overall

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 08:32:03 am »
The worst thing with the current system is that W+S doesn't work every time, as it should. I've managed to fuck things up one too many times because of the command not working properly. Now it's even worse because of the flood of throw-the-flag maps.

Offline Sappy

• Major(1)
Re: Throw the flag button. / More stable flag throwing.
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 12:48:49 pm »
Yes, this should be implemented. It's a wonder that the customization didn't come with the patch.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 01:06:36 pm »
Yes, this should be implemented. It's a wonder that the customization didn't come with the patch.
Not a wonder with the "no more options to the config files!!" attitude which has been around here for years.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Tinysmurf

• Major
  • R7.
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 02:35:19 pm »
Or when you hit w+s theres a DELAY to it and then the flag some how FLIES up like 20 feet above ur guy only to be returned.  >:{   Any button would work just make it work!!  :'(

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 02:56:51 pm »
Im not sure if Im correct here, but I notice that the flag will sometimes throw OnRelease
ie  Up&Down are both down together and one is then released.

Sometimes it can be easy to press both Up&Down when rolling your finger across buttons, especially if you use a laptop and the keys themselves are very thin.

This seems to be the root of the 'hand the flag over' mishap.

Perhaps a timer is of some use here. Like, if Up&Down are registered as both down, after x seconds the flag will be thrown automatically if Up&Down are still down.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 06:32:36 pm »
Well.. it would be easier if there was just a key assigned to it so that you wouldn't accidentally press it
"It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels." -- Augustine

Offline Colonel ONeill

• Major
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 06:36:49 pm »
What's strange is that in solo mode, it's very easy to throw the flag as you want to =o

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 09:26:20 am »
I have crouch set to shift (W+Shift), which is a lot easier, but that still doesn't get rid of accidental flag throws. :/
But I dont think making flag throw combo more complex or adding a delay will fix the problem. On contrary, i'll only cause more problems, because in situations where you need to throw the flag, you gotta do it quick.
I'd say just leave it as is. It doesn't happen too often (at least to me), so it's bearable.

What's strange is that in solo mode, it's very easy to throw the flag as you want to =o
That's because in single player there's no lag. :P

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 09:33:55 am »
I support this. Maybe if we make throwing the flag easier the players would throw it more often and have more teamwork?