Author Topic: The Link Dump and amusing stuff list  (Read 733512 times)

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
Re: The Link Dump and amusing stuff list
« Reply #2300 on: February 16, 2009, 08:45:39 pm »
BEST LINE:
"I entered high school and left my K-8th school which I attended from K-8th. "
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #2301 on: February 16, 2009, 08:48:53 pm »
BEST LINE:
"I entered high school and left my K-8th school which I attended from K-8th. "
Comon man I wrote the thing in roughly 7 minutes after I hadn't slept at all for like 36 hours. I couldn't really think straight and thus it's riddled with typos and crap like that.
There are other worlds than these

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #2302 on: February 18, 2009, 02:49:25 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrzasSP_kPM
translated: sickmanno1 (a username on an forum): nowhere like in bjelovar

without the music it isnt so epic as it is with it
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #2303 on: February 20, 2009, 12:58:38 am »
my latest psych essay: http://jrgp.us/writings/ch12h.doc
i can't open doc files because microsoft thought they were obsolete and replaced them with wps files. post the .txt file
Lol @ you you got microsoft word processor.

But damn that thing is a piece of shit. It is not a replacement for microsoft word. I don't know what microsoft were thinking when they made it. I actually kinda feel a bit sorry for you because I had it for ~1 year and it is a pain in the ass to have.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #2304 on: February 20, 2009, 01:11:26 am »
my latest psych essay: http://jrgp.us/writings/ch12h.doc
i can't open doc files because microsoft thought they were obsolete and replaced them with wps files. post the .txt file
Lol @ you you got microsoft word processor.

But damn that thing is a piece of shit. It is not a replacement for microsoft word. I don't know what microsoft were thinking when they made it. I actually kinda feel a bit sorry for you because I had it for ~1 year and it is a pain in the ass to have.
OpenOffice.org? If so, http://jrgp.us/writings/ch12h.odt (~90KB less than the .doc)

Offline N. Escalona

• Major(1)
  • Pretentious Nutknot
« Reply #2305 on: February 20, 2009, 01:44:44 am »
Guys, PDF is the only truly universal format for document transfer.

Though when enough people start using Office 2007 (and MS gets around to adding the support), ODF will become viable.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 01:48:12 am by N. Escalona »
Do you want to see me crawl across the floor to you?
Do you want to hear me beg you to take me back?
I'd gladly do it because
I don't want to fade away.

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #2306 on: February 20, 2009, 01:58:46 am »
For starters, you use too many commas.  Example:

Now that I think about it, my needs for affiliation, approval, and achievement has varied and fluctuated over the past few years

The first comma doesn't need to me there. 

Second, stuff is out of place.  Example:

However, once I started high school last year, the dynamics completely changed. I didn't know anyone at all and no one knew anything about me [at my previous school most everyone knew me for several years].

"last year" is out of place as you have it worded.  Try for "However, last year when I started high school...".  Or better yet, to avoid pointless commas : However, the dynamics completely changed once I entered high school. 

No need to bracket out what could be a separate sentence if it has a point.

I felt like I entered a new place, similar, but with a clean slate. - replace the first comma with a semicolon.  This dictates a related point continued with a broken sentence, or something along those lines. 

"Meet and hang out with people who are responsible and will like you for who you are instead of just glancing in your direction occasionally and faintly muttering a faked greeting.” - Needs a comma after "who you are".  Also, the first bit is a bit wordy.  Meet could cover most of what you're trying to convey, since you have the conviction to actually associate with people instead of just being one of the individuals you described.

All in all it seems like something the average student would write. 

Get rid of the first comma in the last sentence, after "months later".

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #2307 on: February 20, 2009, 03:28:51 am »

Now that I think about it, my needs for affiliation, approval, and achievement has varied and fluctuated over the past few years

Disagree.

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #2308 on: February 20, 2009, 04:19:07 am »

Second, stuff is out of place.  Example:

However, once I started high school last year, the dynamics completely changed. I didn't know anyone at all and no one knew anything about me [at my previous school most everyone knew me for several years].

"last year" is out of place as you have it worded.  Try for "However, last year when I started high school...".  Or better yet, to avoid pointless commas : However, the dynamics completely changed once I entered high school. 

No need to bracket out what could be a separate sentence if it has a point.

I felt like I entered a new place, similar, but with a clean slate. - replace the first comma with a semicolon.  This dictates a related point continued with a broken sentence, or something along those lines. 

"Meet and hang out with people who are responsible and will like you for who you are instead of just glancing in your direction occasionally and faintly muttering a faked greeting.” - Needs a comma after "who you are".  Also, the first bit is a bit wordy.  Meet could cover most of what you're trying to convey, since you have the conviction to actually associate with people instead of just being one of the individuals you described.

All in all it seems like something the average student would write. 

Get rid of the first comma in the last sentence, after "months later".

who the f**k cares? let him type the way he wants to type, people do not like it when others pick on them for their language, so i must ask you:

how would you feel if they did the same to you?

its the same as someone who can speak english, but has a heavy accent and so is hard for them to speak properly, you cant make them change, just understand the point they are getting across and move on, do not correct, it is not respectable to most and is unacceptable, for your sake, please don't do it

back to the topic:

OpenOffice.org is pretty cool, i must however, find a way to add support for openoffice to my Microsoft Office Excell document, the lookup function for example, it just doesn't work in openoffice

if anyone knows how to fix this can they post it plz? :)
check out my server! click here

If at first you don't succeed, Improvise! :D

Offline N. Escalona

• Major(1)
  • Pretentious Nutknot
« Reply #2309 on: February 20, 2009, 04:23:44 am »
@frosty: He was asking for feedback. Contrary to popular belief there actually are better way and there are worse ways to do most things in the English language. Grammar is the best example of this and therefore the easiest to correct.

If you don't like the rules, then go make up your own damn language.
I'd gladly do it because

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #2310 on: February 20, 2009, 03:51:10 pm »
id just like to make it known if jrgp didnt say it i cant be bothered to look

it was a psychology essay, not an english essay

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #2311 on: February 20, 2009, 05:08:15 pm »
it was a psychology essay, not an english essay
Exactly. I threw the piece of crap together in under 10 minutes and then emailed it to the guy, who's extremely lenient about essays / punctuation. But I do appreciate the feedback Geo.

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #2312 on: February 20, 2009, 06:20:15 pm »
@frosty: He was asking for feedback. Contrary to popular belief there actually are better way and there are worse ways to do most things in the English language. Grammar is the best example of this and therefore the easiest to correct.

If you don't like the rules, then go make up your own damn language.

no one cares

OpenOffice.org is pretty cool, i must however, find a way to add support for openoffice to my Microsoft Office Excell document, the lookup function for example, it just doesn't work in openoffice

someone answer this plz?
check out my server! click here

If at first you don't succeed, Improvise! :D

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #2313 on: February 20, 2009, 08:17:13 pm »
who the f**k cares? let him type the way he wants to type, people do not like it when others pick on them for their language, so i must ask you:

how would you feel if they did the same to you?

its the same as someone who can speak english, but has a heavy accent and so is hard for them to speak properly, you cant make them change, just understand the point they are getting across and move on, do not correct, it is not respectable to most and is unacceptable, for your sake, please don't do it

back to the topic:

Although others have said it already, I just gave him some feedback.  A little tweaking can go a long way in improving any style of paper, regardless of it's purpose.  And honestly?  If someone did that to me I probably wouldn't care - at least it shows they read it instead of blowing smoke up my ass.

'eh...got a little worked up.  Sit and spin.

Also, if any other short essays need a once over in the future, I'm more than glad to offer some advice.  Take it at your leisure.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 08:34:47 pm by The Geologist »
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #2314 on: February 21, 2009, 12:06:50 am »
Eminem warns you about the witch in L4D
WARNING: Very violent language. Turn down your speakers a little.
Note: This footage was around before L4D, and Eminem isn't really playing L4D. It's just made into a reference to L4D's witch.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 12:09:44 am by STM1993 »

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 12:44:39 pm by Thinkto urself »

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"

Offline TBDM

• Flagrunner
« Reply #2316 on: February 21, 2009, 01:23:11 pm »
f**k MY LIFE.
oh haha this reminds me of someone

video, wtf, awesome.

"Today, when my boyfriend and I were lying in bed, he grabbed my double chin and goes "gobble, gobble". FML"
awesomeness :D

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
  • (F)ornication (U)nder (C)onsent of the (K)ing
    • http://www.soldatforums.com/index.php?topic=571.0
« Reply #2317 on: February 21, 2009, 08:19:07 pm »
"Today, I called my girlfriend and she answered telling me how amazing the sex was last night and she can't wait to see me later. I didn't see her last night. FML"

This made me laugh my ass off...

Offline N. Escalona

• Major(1)
  • Pretentious Nutknot
« Reply #2318 on: February 21, 2009, 08:25:52 pm »
Today, I got an email from my professor with my grade for a paper. It said, "Solid writing, but you should have proofread your final draft more carefully." In a moment of annoyance, I typed in the reply box, "God should have proofread your FACE more carefully." My elbow hit the send button. FML

Today, my girlfriend dumped me proclaiming she wanted someone more like her "Edward". I asked her who Edward was. She held up a copy her "Twilight" book. She was talking about a fictional vampire. FML
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 08:32:39 pm by N. Escalona »
I'd gladly do it because

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #2319 on: February 22, 2009, 05:25:58 am »
Google "EnEsCe"