Author Topic: The 'Simple Questions' thread.  (Read 278514 times)

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Re: The 'Simple Questions' thread.
« Reply #1560 on: June 27, 2011, 03:17:55 pm »
Deleting threads is forbidden (remember when EnEsCe deleted stuff?).
And somehow I can't find the place where I should move it to (maybe I don't have the rights to do that).
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
[temp]
« Reply #1561 on: June 27, 2011, 04:33:50 pm »
And somehow I can't find the place where I should move it to (maybe I don't have the rights to do that).
Well I understand deleting threads that contain some kind of information, but if it's something like "nvm, please lock/delete" - there really is no point in keeping that. I suppose it's not that important right now, since the forums aren't as active as before, but for the future there could be a simple vote system for admins, so that if enough admins confirm thread deletion - it will get deleted but at least more than one admin will be aware of it.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
[temp]
« Reply #1562 on: June 27, 2011, 04:46:33 pm »
Well I understand deleting threads that contain some kind of information, but if it's something like "nvm, please lock/delete" - there really is no point in keeping that. I suppose it's not that important right now, since the forums aren't as active as before, but for the future there could be a simple vote system for admins, so that if enough admins confirm thread deletion - it will get deleted but at least more than one admin will be aware of it.

They're kept for future reference, even if it's just so we can determine that so and so wanted us to lock his pointless topics over and over again.

And the topics themselves aren't even taking up kilobytes in the database, so there isn't a disk space or efficiency related issue in keeping them.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #1563 on: June 27, 2011, 08:33:09 pm »

They're kept for future reference, even if it's just so we can determine that so and so wanted us to lock his pointless topics over and over again.

And the topics themselves aren't even taking up kilobytes in the database, so there isn't a disk space or efficiency related issue in keeping them.
Maybe there should be forum section like trash where all pointless topics like one mentioned before should be moved (without the redirect post).
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #1564 on: June 27, 2011, 08:48:35 pm »

Maybe there should be forum section like trash where all pointless topics like one mentioned before should be moved (without the redirect post).

There is a forum called the "Trash Bin" that only mods/admins can see. When posts/topics are deleted, they are moved there. What EnEsCe got in trouble for was deleting posts/topics from the Trash Bin, which permanently deletes them instead of just making them private.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #1565 on: June 27, 2011, 11:59:40 pm »
Just a reminder [unrelated to Loner's query] to keep questions in this thread answerable. If you have a question with a debatable answer, make a new thread for it.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline ds dude

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • Lolicon Forever.
« Reply #1566 on: July 25, 2011, 12:30:29 am »
Hey does anyone know a website like chacha that use to have a messenger and you could ask a question to a live operator?
This signature was borked. Now it is not.

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #1567 on: August 21, 2011, 04:56:50 pm »
Anyone know a good freeware program that converts videos so that you can watch them on your phone? Nokia C7 to be precise.
Text goes here...

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #1568 on: August 21, 2011, 05:02:29 pm »
Anyone know a good freeware program that converts videos so that you can watch them on your phone? Nokia C7 to be precise.

Look at Handbreak and if you aren't afraid of using the Windows command line, ffmpeg.

Offline Marquis

• Major(1)
  • The guy who uses Impact font is Foxconn.
« Reply #1569 on: August 21, 2011, 05:14:10 pm »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #1570 on: August 22, 2011, 03:18:18 pm »
AnyVideoConverter is great. Supports many video and audio formats, allows to choose audio and subtitle channels, choose your own video size, codec, bitrate, or choose from one of many presets. I highly recommend it: http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

*note1: There's a free and pro edition, but the only difference is that pro edition has more device-specific presets, while free edition only has a few general presets
*note2: They seem to have ballsed things up in the newest versions, so in some cases you'll get audio out of sync, and the interface looks crappier. I recommend using v3.0.5, which doesn't have any of those issues.

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #1571 on: August 28, 2011, 08:39:33 am »
Whats a good media centre program to use? I'd like to be able connect my pc to my ps3 to stream videos and such aswell.

Actually nvm. I think I found the media centre I used to use: http://download.cnet.com/SimpleCenter/3000-2141_4-10585146.html

Nope, that doesn't want to work. Anyway, I have a way around it, the problem now is getting my ps3 to play .flv's. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 11:07:33 am by Shard »

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #1572 on: September 03, 2011, 01:06:08 pm »
I'm having difficulty pulling out power connector plugs [the plug beside the IDE connector]. They don't seem to want to come out... is there something I'm not pressing right or do I really have to yank them out with brute force?
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #1573 on: September 03, 2011, 01:23:25 pm »
I'm having difficulty pulling out power connector plugs [the plug beside the IDE connector]. They don't seem to want to come out... is there something I'm not pressing right or do I really have to yank them out with brute force?
Brute force. Be sure you aren't torquing/bending anything, try to hold it by the plug itself not the wire, and pull hard. Don't jerk it ofc, just pull hard.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #1574 on: September 03, 2011, 03:11:57 pm »
Brute force. Be sure you aren't torquing/bending anything, try to hold it by the plug itself not the wire, and pull hard. Don't jerk it ofc, just pull hard.

Yeah old molexes get stuck easily. If you can't get it out, hold the plug itself with a plyer and hold the drive itself with your hand and try to rip it out like a tooth.

Offline Snake

• Soldier
  • Chu Canadien Criss!
« Reply #1575 on: September 12, 2011, 08:52:04 am »
I recently bought a Razer Lachesis and since you can configure every key the way you want it I'd like to put of the keys for my sound control, but the thing is the "Razer Configurator" doesn't recognize the "Fn" key.  So would there be a way to go in my laptop's configuration panel and add, lets say "alt+f11 and alt+f12", for my sound control?

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #1576 on: September 13, 2011, 11:38:46 am »
I'm not sure if there's a way to do it with your basic computer software, but you could always download 3RVX. It lets you make custom volume change button combinations.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline Snake

• Soldier
  • Chu Canadien Criss!
« Reply #1577 on: September 13, 2011, 09:52:25 pm »
I'm not sure if there's a way to do it with your basic computer software, but you could always download 3RVX. It lets you make custom volume change button combinations.

Oh! awesome works well thanks!

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #1578 on: September 14, 2011, 07:59:34 pm »
Does anyone know of any audio software/drivers that can boost volume and improve sound quality for the entire system, not just specific media players? I know there's Realtek HD audio driver but it's not very good, so I'm looking a better alternative.

Offline Snake

• Soldier
  • Chu Canadien Criss!
« Reply #1579 on: October 04, 2011, 09:51:07 am »
A couple years ago I bought a ASUS K40IN still works fine but I'd like to upgrade it, put more/better RAM, new hard drive and maybe a new processor and video card.  But I do not know if it can be done on my laptop, would someone know if it can be done, or a website that I could find this information?
Oh and if its just "plug and play" like just a couple of screws and everything is there...? (Because in the back of my laptop theres no seperate "panels"its one big thing) and could it be done by myself, anverage joe?
Thanks
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:06:37 am by Snake »