Author Topic: Landing damage realistic on  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Dro

• Major(1)
Landing damage realistic on
« on: April 07, 2007, 12:42:22 pm »
I tested few minutes ago land to a straight ground. I dropped from exact same altitude and first time I just let it fall, second time I did a somersault, means I moved to left. And then I coticed that after first fall I had lost as much health as after second fall.
   In real world when you do a somersault after a dropping there becomes less damage especially to your legs because your body absorbs kinetic energy.
   So my suggestion is to degrease the damage caused by falls if player has made a somersault if it's possible.
(I attached a demo from one of my tests.)
History is our future.

Offline Hans Lemurson

• Major(1)
  • Coined the term "Socomized"
Re: Landing damage realistic on
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 04:59:23 pm »
I too was annoyed when I found that somersaulting did not give you any protective benefits from falls.  Or in my case, leaps from ledges at full speed, rolling and continuing w/o losing momentum.

It would certainly make it easier to do bad-ass ninja maneuvers (like silently dropping down to knife a sniper in a bush and steal their gun).

What effect this would have on play balance, I'm not sure.  I would think though that benefiting from somersaults would be dependent on some horizontal velocity, and would simply raise the damage-threshold speed slightly.

It might not be entirely possible though, since you have to have ground contact to initiate the roll, and by that time, the damage is probably taken as soon as you touch the ground.  A 10-tick grace period for the damage might be in order for this to work.

edit:
You might also want to change the title of this thread, as it is highly ungrammatical and confusing.  Try maybe: "Reduced fall-damage from somersaulting"
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 02:57:34 am by Hans Lemurson »
May the Lag be with you.

Alt+F1 - F3 are hotkeys for your custom lag settings.
Alt+F4 will disable the lag entirely.

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
  • (F)ornication (U)nder (C)onsent of the (K)ing
    • http://www.soldatforums.com/index.php?topic=571.0
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 06:29:48 am »
This isn't so bad idea. But I give u a tip for fix ur problem, if u wanna less damage or none just RIGHT MOUSE CLICK[/u] before u fall.

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 07:03:56 am »
then you will loose your momentum and we don't wan't that do we?

I use the rolling thing when I'm jumping over some ledges so I don't loose my momentum adn still be a smaller target if the enemy sees me...
I thought that somersaulting really did reduce your fall damage before, but when I tested it out that didn't happen, just as you said

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 07:38:15 am »
Actually, losing momentum is the point of doing that before you hit the ground, so you don't hit it hard, and therefore don't take as much damage.

I'm not sure on this idea because I don't play R/S much.
ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline Snipufin

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 08:33:48 am »
This isn't so bad idea. But I give u a tip for fix ur problem, if u wanna less damage or none just RIGHT MOUSE CLICK[/u] before u fall.
How about if we have teh ultimate realistic map which has no jets? And you jump off from a roof?
Name:     Snipufin
Position:    Soldier

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 08:49:11 am »
A map that doesn't have jets can's be played in realistic CTF normally. Then the admin is just a noob.

That only goes with TW maps.

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
  • (F)ornication (U)nder (C)onsent of the (K)ing
    • http://www.soldatforums.com/index.php?topic=571.0
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 10:21:50 am »
How about if we have teh ultimate realistic map which has no jets? And you jump off from a roof?

Ah. C'mon. Without jets U wouldn't jump from a roof ...why would u do that ? And if U do. It won't take too much health anyway.

Offline Hans Lemurson

• Major(1)
  • Coined the term "Socomized"
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 07:49:48 pm »
The problem with jets is that they make noise, which a ninja's foe.  Also, slowing your fall with jets can interfere with your contact with the ground, which is required for rolling.  By the time you manage to correct your failed roll, your momentum is gone and it becomes ineffectual.

Basicly, reduced-damage rolling would allow for better quality soldat parkour.  :D
May the Lag be with you.

Alt+F1 - F3 are hotkeys for your custom lag settings.
Alt+F4 will disable the lag entirely.

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 09:29:57 pm »
- Just like Link!

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 04:45:59 pm »

You don't jump off the roof if you have no jets. That would be silly. It's called realistic: In real life I don't jump off roofs because I don't have jets.

I do however support, because it makes sense.
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.